How is purely torque-sensing PAS actually implemented?

Each gets soldered and sealed, then marine grade shrink tube slide downs and over the whole thing.

Yup, that's what I did for the connections that had to be cut. (Some connectors didn't match.)

It was you in fact that informed me about the double walled, 4:1 shrink tube with glue.
It fits over the entire connector then shrinks down enough to seal up the wires.

I bought a bunch of different sizes,..

Screenshot_20231227-195623_AliExpress.jpg

Thanks for the info.
I didn't know there was such a thing.

A new law is going to come up in the California Legislature banning throttles for those 16 and younger. What it does not address is that most less expensive bikes on-line and at big box stores can be ghost pedaled. If you can pedal at a cadence in single digits and with no effort yet go full speed, it is just the same as a throttle! I most often cut and splice cables. Half of the little wires go one way and about half the other. Each gets soldered and sealed, then marine grade shrink tube slide downs and over the whole thing. It takes out the slack.

The difference when the power comes from the cadence sensor, is that you have to increase or decrease the power using the power assist steps with a button.
So it is like a throttle, but a step one which is way less responsive than gunning a real throttle.

You can still reach full speed, but you can't accelerate and decelerate that quickly.

On the other hand, cadence sensor at high power assist can be dangerous, especially if you start pedaling the bike in a high power assist....

Like the comment earlier ... there are good and bad cadence based systems. I ride one that ramps power up no matter what the setting, so it's safe and comfortable to ride no matter the cadence level selected.

A throttle gvies me instantaneous power, the amount being controlled by my hand. The cadence settings give me background assist that ramps up as i start pedaling, The total amount of assist is determined by the numeric cadence setting. My top speed is however not determined by cadence setting, rather it comes from either how hard I pedal or how much throttle I add. Overall it's very similar to a torque sensor based system in capability but not feel.

So lets stop lumping all ebike control systems (or motor configurations) into one good or bad pile.

Back