How Fast Can You Go Without Assist?

Asher

I went biking on a crowded path today, so I put the speed limit to the legal, class 1/2 limit of 15 mph. To my surprise, I could maintain a 19-20 mph pace without power, on flats. Possibly faster, since there seemed to be a bit of headwind.

How fast can you go, at a steady clip? Not sprinting, but your usual pedal rate.

My ride: CCS, 19ah, rigid steel front fork. G-One Speed 2.35" front tire, Plus 45mm in rear. And some more minor part swaps.

However, I would like to check again using my phone as a speedometer as well. I might also get different results if I put the speed limit at say 15 mph

I wouldn't be surprised that if, with the right tires and handlebar positioning, it wouldn't be much slower than a road bike at speed.

Also seems like the torque sensor uses around 20 watts - I got a read of 29 W when pedaling above 15 mph, and 9 W without pedaling.

Also a great way to save on battery if low - cut assist at the higher levels, and perhaps even the torque sensor.

Edit did some more testing, more like 19-20. The speedometer is bang on

Last edited:
Asher, when you say "without power" do you mean...

..you have a cut-off like chris so you can run the computer but have NO assist
or
...how fast do you go with power level of ECO?

I'm still confused - are you using the speed limit to assist up to 20mph and then just keep it there by pedaling, or are you not using assist at all?

Gad, it's the wind resistance!

Even with the easy rolling Schwalbe Big One 2.35" wide racing tires, and that I am not very strong, I can cruise comfortably at 15 in still air and go 18 if I work a bit. I can hit 20 only for a very brief spell if at all (my electrics are still out for warranty service)

The wind against my totally non-aero posture and against the fat tires limits speed. I presume my tires are saving me a goodly 20W of power, and so I would go slower if I still had stock tires.

The best driving of a cyclist is downhill, a road bike can reach up to 90km / h but only on the road, a wheel trekking 700 x 40c about 62km / h and a mtb about 45km / h .Influences the body position of the cyclist .The wheel size, more width more effort for more speed.

I'm still confused - are you using the speed limit to assist up to 20mph and then just keep it there by pedaling, or are you not using assist at all?
Sorry my mistake, I had two different runs in different places and didn't edit it appropriately. On the more representative run I was getting 19-20 mph with an assist up to 15 mph.

I went biking on a crowded path today, so I put the speed limit to the legal, class 1/2 limit of 15 mph. To my surprise, I could maintain a 19-20 mph pace without power, on flats. Possibly faster, since there seemed to be a bit of headwind.

How fast can you go, at a steady clip? Not sprinting, but your usual pedal rate.

My ride: CCS, 19ah, rigid steel front fork. G-One Speed 2.35" front tire, Plus 45mm in rear. And some more minor part swaps.

However, I would like to check again using my phone as a speedometer as well. I might also get different results if I put the speed limit at say 15 mph

I wouldn't be surprised that if, with the right tires and handlebar positioning, it wouldn't be much slower than a road bike at speed.

Also seems like the torque sensor uses around 20 watts - I got a read of 29 W when pedaling above 15 mph, and 9 W without pedaling.

Also a great way to save on battery if low - cut assist at the higher levels, and perhaps even the torque sensor.

Edit did some more testing, more like 19-20. The speedometer is bang on

My experience is very similar to yours Asher. I have done a couple of test rides with the power off to get a feel for the bike. Getting the bike up to speed without power is noticeably harder than even the extra weight suggests it should be by my feel. However, once you are cruising, the bikes design as a commuter really does shine. It is very comfortable pedalling along on the flats at speeds close to what I would be doing on my road bike. However, once any uphill slope is encountered, I found the speed falling off very fast. Also, going downhill the bike accelerates far more slowly and top speeds going down are dramatically slower than the road bike.

I forgot to list my two Mirrycle mirrors.

Grin, my bike plus my upright self is so much a wind catching combo I should just go ahead and add a sail.

I go 85 mph - with no assist, in the rain, uphill, pedaling barefoot while wearing no padded shorts & eating a twinkie.

Last edited:
with my display revived by the new parts received yesterday, I can now measure with accuracy the speed of my bike manually or electrically powered.

It is faster than I previously thought. Thin and relatively large tires definitely help, they help a lot.

Last edited:
I rode five miles today toward Key Biscayne on pedal power alone. The exercise felt great. I did not turn on the assist until the Wm. Powell Bridge (4.5% grade) because by then I had had enough. I had to get home quickly to get ready for work. With assist, I did.

It is good to be served by a mechanical thing. Thanks again, Tora. Your bike in stock form is great. In modified form it is phenomenal. In either form it is an analog of yourself in practical expression of what is the best way to accomplish the athletic commuter goal.

(not my video)
(parts of the old 1948 Rickenbacker Causeway, named after the WW1 flying ace, remain as fishing pier)

PS: it is very flat in South Florida. The bridge is our only hill of any note. It rises some 80 feet above Biscayne Bay. On a bike you generally ride in the bike lane next to the traffic lanes, not the protected pedestrian lane shown above. On that minor mountain, up is up and down is fast in its way; I prefer normal bike speeds. 35 is easy in still air. I find no fascination in bike speeds over 25mph so I generally coast down from the crest.

Last edited:
Back