How do you measure your pulse when riding?

Can’t get much simpler than an Apple Watch or similar Garmin or Fitbit… I think the chest straps are more sensitive, but for me the watch is fine, and it talks to Ride With GPS to add the heartrate data to rides. I have a little A/Fib issue so having the watch constantly on the lookout for any arrhythmia is a big bonus as well.

unless you have a garmin GPS or such a watch will work well. it is sometimes hard to see a watch while riding though. you can connect them to many apps too. I ride too much to use my Apple Watch the battery would die.

I use a Garmin chest strap and a Garmin app on my iPhone, but I usually don't bother putting the strap on anymore. Too lazy, I guess. 😒

While pedaling, I just take my hands off the handlebars & using my right index finger, press in for the left artery. Count for 15 seconds, then multiply by 4.......

After the crash, I find that the EMT workers get a complete workup of vitals that help in confirming my own readings and I'm able to chart this info once I get out of my coma.

I used to touch my neck artery and count while a sweep second hand watch counted off 5 seconds. 6 beats in 5 seconds is 72 bpm, 7 is 84, 8 is 96, 10 is 120, 12 is 144, 14 is 168. Don't exercise to 168 unless you are under age 50 or have been stressing your heart successfully for decades. If the traffic is quiet I can hear my pulse in my ears. As a musical hobbiest my rhythm is trained enough, I don't need the watch anymore.

I have this one I bought on Amazon.

EZON Heart Rate Monitor Sports Watch with HRM Chest​

It's old school with a chest strap and a big display that can be mounted to your handlebar. Its easy to see anytime with a quick glance down, I dont want to have to stop and look at a watch. It allows me to monitor my heart rate quickly and change assist level or gearing immediately if I get up to 170 bpm for example.

I have a Apple Watch but its no practical to see what's going on while riding and its limited what app can record from it. I have a wrist tattoo on the other wrist so another optical strap is not the best solution. so I use a chest strap as it connects to my bosch nyon and my GPS and could connect to my phone.

Polar OH-1 wrist strap. It connects to my Specialized e-bikes, a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer, and to Specialized-capable apps on my smartphone.

I have this one I bought on Amazon.

EZON Heart Rate Monitor Sports Watch with HRM Chest​

It's old school with a chest strap and a big display that can be mounted to your handlebar. Its easy to see anytime with a quick glance down, I dont want to have to stop and look at a watch. It allows me to monitor my heart rate quickly and change assist level or gearing immediately if I get up to 170 bpm for example.
Perfect! Thank you.

My Garmin Fenix 6 has an app called "broadcast heartrate" which sends HR info via Bluetooth to the Bosch Nyon displays on my bikes. It is quick and easy to activate and deactivate and works quite reliably.

Back