How do you like your mid-drive City Commuter?

city-commuter-mid-drive.jpg

I guess Pedego brought this onboard just to appease the mid-drive frenzy. But the Dapu drive is not very refined even though it has lots of power.
It is possible to tune the shift sensing delay but not all torque sensors are created equal. So, the inherent delay would still remain. I still can't believe Pedego spec'd a $15 shifter on this bike.

In terms of smoothness and sensitivity, Brose stand out, Yamaha comes close, followed by Bosch, Shimano etc.

Drives like Bafang MAX, Dapu, TranzX are good and can definitely use some improvement.

I'm brand new to ebikes. Never on an ebike before and little rusty riding any bike. A few days ago I visited a Pedego store and took both a 28" rear hub City and the 26" mid-drive. I was surprised that I liked the mid-drive better. The rear hub felt more powerful, like the bike was being pushed from the rear, a little bit faster than I cared for. The mid-drive felt more natural and more easy to control. Part of it may be that I am 5'4" short and felt more comfortable on the smaller frame. Still looking for my first ebike and have not decided on which drive as of yet.

Why not try a 26" inch hub drive Pedego, too whether an interceptor or a city commuter? I'm 5'5" and have a 26" interceptor. My husband is 5'9" and has a 26" city commuter. The city commuter also has adjustable handlebars, that make it easier to fit to the rider. :)

Why not try a 26" inch hub drive Pedego, too whether an interceptor or a city commuter? I'm 5'5" and have a 26" interceptor. My husband is 5'9" and has a 26" city commuter. The city commuter also has adjustable handlebars, that make it easier to fit to the rider. :)
That's my plan. The store I visited didn't have a 26" city commuter to try. Thanks for your input. How do you like your interceptor and how does your husband like his city commuter?

The rear hub felt more powerful, like the bike was being pushed from the rear, a little bit faster than I cared for. The mid-drive felt more natural and more easy to control. Part of it may be that I am 5'4" short and felt more comfortable on the smaller frame. Still looking for my first ebike and have not decided on which drive as of yet.

Rear hub adding too much power? Turn the settings down. You are aware the mid-drive power transfers thru the bike drivetrain as compared to a hub motor, correct? Most ebike drivetrains are just bicycle drivetrains, so on the mid-drive setup, you may experience increased wear and maintenance on your chain, rings, etc. This is due to the extra power being transferred thru components that were designed to transfer less. Personally, I don't care for the feeling and sound the bicycle drivetrain makes while shifting under the additional torque/force/stress of the 500+ watt motor, with my 600 watt legs. It's very clunky and loud.

Rear hub adding too much power? Turn the settings down. You are aware the mid-drive power transfers thru the bike drivetrain as compared to a hub motor, correct? Most ebike drivetrains are just bicycle drivetrains, so on the mid-drive setup, you may experience increased wear and maintenance on your chain, rings, etc. This is due to the extra power being transferred thru components that were designed to transfer less. Personally, I don't care for the feeling and sound the bicycle drivetrain makes while shifting under the additional torque/force/stress of the 500+ watt motor, with my 600 watt legs. It's very clunky and loud.

My mid drive shifts silently. And to me feels much more natural than a hub drive. At least the ones I have tried.

How do you like your interceptor and how does your husband like his city commuter?

We love them! We have the "old" controller, which may give a different riding experience than the "new" controller that breaks up the PAS differently, though I heard from Pedego that they are working to fix this experience difference issue. Don't know if it is resolved yet.

From reading here, I've learned that the mid-drive "naturalness" doesn't seem to be a benefit for folks doing suburban/urban/bike trail type riding, but IS a benefit for those doing mountain bike type riding. On a hub drive bike you feel the PAS kick in. Is that a problem, or does it feel good? (for me, the latter! My daughter said, when she experienced it, "It's like feeling mommy pedal like you did when we were little (we had bike trailers that converted our bikes to tandems so kids could pedal, too). I like that boost feeling when it kicks in. My understanding is that mid-drives don't have that feeling, even as they assist, so that is what folks mean when they say it is more "natural." Hub drives also don't put any strain/wear on the ordinary components of the bike (the chain and gears), which mid-drives do.

See what you like. There's not a correct answer except the one that you come to for yourself. Have fun! :)

We love them! We have the "old" controller, which may give a different riding experience than the "new" controller that breaks up the PAS differently, though I heard from Pedego that they are working to fix this experience difference issue. Don't know if it is resolved yet.

From reading here, I've learned that the mid-drive "naturalness" doesn't seem to be a benefit for folks doing suburban/urban/bike trail type riding, but IS a benefit for those doing mountain bike type riding. On a hub drive bike you feel the PAS kick in. Is that a problem, or does it feel good? (for me, the latter! My daughter said, when she experienced it, "It's like feeling mommy pedal like you did when we were little (we had bike trailers that converted our bikes to tandems so kids could pedal, too). I like that boost feeling when it kicks in. My understanding is that mid-drives don't have that feeling, even as they assist, so that is what folks mean when they say it is more "natural." Hub drives also don't put any strain/wear on the ordinary components of the bike (the chain and gears), which mid-drives do.

See what you like. There's not a correct answer except the one that you come to for yourself. Have fun! :)

My mid drive has power from the first half revolution and continues from there. I could really feel the unsprung weight of a hub drive and I can't imagine bouncing over curbs with it. I realize that is something that not everyone does but I sure do !

Last edited:
Bouncing over curbs? Nope, not something the ordinary commuter/city rider needs in their repertoire, in general! ;)

Thanks. I I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your Pedegos. While I have you on the phone, do you have occasion to transport your Pedegos, and if so, how?

Back