How do you define the ideal electric touring bicycle?

Without trying to sound like a Bosch fanboy or anything, their system with 2 batteries in use whereby the motor uses 5% (different if capacity is not the same) from one battery and then switches to the other and vice versa allows the battery chemistries to settle. This is even more beneficial when high loads are drawn causing them to heat up and even more beneficial if you're going to charge them straight after use.

Yeah, high draw isn't a problem for me... or most people I believe that use their gears as much as the motor. Ride it like a cute little baby motorcycle and you get lots of heat. But I guess a system like that is almost necessary when you are using little batteries placed around the frame where they will fit. What's next 5 or 6 all strung together around the bike with some proprietary connector so you have to buy from them?

Except maybe you don't always need the one large battery ...

So you only put a 1/4 tank of gas in your car... just in case you aren't planning on going very far? Come on man. Lithium batteries are expensive and need to be babied if you want to get the longest life possible out of them. The larger the battery the easier it is to do that.

So you only put a 1/4 tank of gas in your car... just in case you aren't planning on going very far? Come on man. Lithium batteries are expensive and need to be babied if you want to get the longest life possible out of them. The larger the battery the easier it is to do that.

I don't think the gas analogy works. Primarily because I have to drive to the gas station to put that 1/4 tank in the car. Not the same with my e-bike batteries. I have 2 dual-battery Bosch bikes and I have PP 400s and 500s. I'm just going for my lunch time ride and grocery run I pop in a 400. A commute to work then maybe 2 400s. A commute to work and errands on the way home or the next morning 2 500s. You like your way (obvious from all your posts). I like options.

I don't think the gas analogy works. Primarily because I have to drive to the gas station to put that 1/4 tank in the car. Not the same with my e-bike batteries. I have 2 dual-battery Bosch bikes and I have PP 400s and 500s. I'm just going for my lunch time ride and grocery run I pop in a 400. A commute to work then maybe 2 400s. A commute to work and errands on the way home or the next morning 2 500s. You like your way (obvious from all your posts). I like options.

Maybe not, but how often do you drive directly to the station for gas rather than just stopping along your regular daily drive to top off? I place my emphases on not stressing the batteries in the hopes of significantly extending the life. Not using more than 60% of the battery full capacity (30 Ah). That's 18 Ah I can spend any way I want and not stress the battery. You can even charge a large pack faster with no stress since you are only filling the pack to 80%. I'll take range over speed any day, or up to 75-80 miles on a reasonably level surface.

Maybe not, but how often do you drive directly to the station for gas rather than just stopping along your regular daily drive to top off? I place my emphases on not stressing the batteries in the hopes of significantly extending the life. Not using more than 60% of the battery full capacity (30 Ah). That's 18 Ah I can spend any way I want and not stress the battery. You can even charge a large pack faster with no stress since you are only filling the pack to 80%. I'll take range over speed any day, or up to 75-80 miles on a reasonably level surface.
Many people with an R&M Supercharger take out the top tube battery for around town and use it as a "Glove Compartment" in turn making the bike 2.9kg lighter. Then they put it back in for longer trips for a total of 26.8Ah. I leave mine in, LOCKED into the frame, not completely theft proof but way better than velcro straps.

Many people with an R&M Supercharger take out the top tube battery for around town and use it as a "Glove Compartment" in turn making the bike 2.9kg lighter. Then they put it back in for longer trips for a total of 26.8Ah. I leave mine in, LOCKED into the frame, not completely theft proof but way better than velcro straps.

It sucks having to worry about the damn thing on a regular basis.

Here's an idea for a business:
Start up an insurance company that has hooks in with multiple telecommunications & bike manufacturer companies throughout the world and provide a bike gps tracking/insurance service for a negligible fee!

<<I have 2 dual-battery Bosch bikes and I have PP 400s and 500s>>

Over 50, you’ve been shopping! What’s new in the garage?

Ha. Nothing really new in the garage. Well, at least since early in the year when we added the Gen 2 Vektron. The idea was to sell the Gen 1 Vektron but turns out my wife likes it better. So yes, I kind of have an extra bike at the moment - or at least one I had planned to not have at this time. But dual-battery, we have the GSD and the R&M. And on the way, is the new Trek w/plans to sell the Haibike. Now both regular commuters will be dual-battery. Nice to have the flexibility of modular battery design even if some folks don't approve.

Would love to hear why. What is your preference? I own a Gen1 Vektron as well.

Hope you don't mind but I took my response over to my Vektron thread so as to not derail the touring bike discussion:

Last edited:
dblhelix: Smaller (ebike battery) has its benefits while charging on the road.

BBassett - Question: "And you are going to charge a little battery faster, or cheaper somehow?"

dblhelix - Answer: "Right. Cheers."

LOL! That's what I thought. A small battery has no advantage over a large battery other than just the weight and purchase price. But they do have several disadvantages, like having to charge more slowly, they have less usable range, small batteries get "cooked" faster since users fill and deplete them far too often cutting their usable life in half, must have multiple charges or charge one at a time. Great argument Mr. lix.

LOL! That's what I thought. A small battery has no advantage over a large battery other than just the weight and purchase price. But they do have several disadvantages, like having to charge more slowly, they have less usable range, small batteries get "cooked" faster since users fill and deplete them far too often cutting their usable life in half, must have multiple charges or charge one at a time. Great argument Mr. lix.
Through after some time with technical advances your "large" battery will become smaller and i'm guessing you will up the ante and still keep it large, or you will fine tune how much gear you tour with and probably require less Ah.

Back