How do the motor inhibitors work?

Captain Slow

I have the CCS and I like the bike, but after riding it to work frequently I find I would like better components. The other bike I ride to work is a Cervelo with a Rival groupset and the low end groupset on the CCS, while functional is a bit frustrating after riding the Rival.

But if I replace the brakes, how would I get the motor inhibitors to work? I was looking at the brake lever and it looks like fluid from the reservoir is connected to the electronics somehow. If I got a different brake lever would I be able to get the motor inhibitor to work with it?

Keeping the motor inhibitor isn't crucial to me, but I also don't want a wire flapping around as I ride.

If you were going to switch to cable based brakes you can find many handles out there that support inhibitors, but you will need to do a bit of wiring as the connector is not standard. It is very possible one of the other models of juiced bikes uses cable brake handles and uses the same connector, too.

I have the CCS and I like the bike, but after riding it to work frequently I find I would like better components. The other bike I ride to work is a Cervelo with a Rival groupset and the low end groupset on the CCS, while functional is a bit frustrating after riding the Rival.

But if I replace the brakes, how would I get the motor inhibitors to work? I was looking at the brake lever and it looks like fluid from the reservoir is connected to the electronics somehow. If I got a different brake lever would I be able to get the motor inhibitor to work with it?

Keeping the motor inhibitor isn't crucial to me, but I also don't want a wire flapping around as I ride.
If you don't need the inhibitor function (I sure don't), you could literally clip off the wire cable going to the brake lever.

The hydraulic hose is the one thing. But also there is a cable with two very slender wires inside it. At the end of the motor inhibitor wire pair is a magnetic reed switch. It screws into the brake lever housing. When the brake lever is moved, a permanent magnet affects the reed switch, closing its contacts, closing the normally-open circuit of the inhibitor wire pair.

I wanted more braking power on the front wheel of my CCS. I installed a Magura MT5 and about doubled the braking power and did away with the motor inhibitor function...but re-used one of the wire pairs for the fitting of a killassist switch.

There are times you want the brake inhibitor function. For instance, in Cadence Sensor mode, a little kick on the pedals or a slap of the chain while you are walking your bike can make it take off on you.

Last edited:
Back