How Do I Make The Yukon 2018 Voltbike faster?

kaybee123

I'm curious! How do I make the bike faster? The 750w rear hub one that is currently on sale.

The speed limit in the display panel is set to 99km.
Adjusting the current limit on the display panel seems to do nothing.

I looked up another users' ride and he some sort of phase regular?
Do I need to get that special cable to modify the controller? (Is that what people are doing?)

I couldn't find any information anywhere on this!

Yes, it's 99kph however that's just setting the upper limit on the display. Essentially it means that the display won't limit the speed.
Unfortunately, setting it to 99 doesn't make it go any faster ;)

Start with a Canadian model, limited to 18 mph. Change it to 99 as you did. Now you can go 24-28 mph.Fat tiresgiving high rolling resistance. Upright bars giving high wind resistance. That's all you get with 750W,

50 in short bursts would be fun!
You have to remember to put a descriptor behind the number. I think by far the highest number of forum members are American, so they just read that you want to go 50mph. Hence the tendency towards humor with the answers. I still have to ask "Siri" for a conversion when most of the Europeans use numbers.

I'm still new here but Id like to chime in. As an owner of a yukon 750 I've searched up and down on how to increase the speed a bit.
Ive come to the conclusion that the hub motor is only going to spin so fast. One option I think that would work though is to go to a larger diameter tire. (if there is one) you would loose a bit of power but your top speed should increase.
I've also found that a full charge of the battery (not recommended if you want to increase the life of your battery) should take you to at least 40 Kmh. I've reached up to 41 and change. Im hoping for voltbike to come out with a 52 volt battery on there next model, and make it interchangeable. that should give the 40K speed a longer range without having to fully charge the battery. Not sure how the controller will hold out though.
Just my 2 cents

On the controller comment the old controller Lishui LSW784-45-3M compared to the latest one shipping with the 2018 Yukon LSW1106-58-10F handles current up to 25 amp peak now from 20 peak before. The bikes are locked at 15 amps, you can adjust down to be legal in Canada but when you go up on display to say 20 amp it is still only running 15 ( on my bike). Maybe the approved 850C display would unlock that but so far no one has tried it yet. Motor should be able to handle 1500 watts for bursts but will not comment on voltage of capacitors on controller using larger battery.

On the controller comment the old controller Lishui LSW784-45-3M compared to the latest one shipping with the 2018 Yukon LSW1106-58-10F handles current up to 25 amp peak now from 20 peak before. The bikes are locked at 15 amps, you can adjust down to be legal in Canada but when you go up on display to say 20 amp it is still only running 15 ( on my bike). Maybe the approved 850C display would unlock that but so far no one has tried it yet. Motor should be able to handle 1500 watts for bursts but will not comment on voltage of capacitors on controller using larger battery.

This is exactly what I'm looking into.

Yes, to the others, we're talking about km/h. (Voltbike is a Canadian bike). The bike current does 40.6km/h in it's current state so something like 50km/h should be achievable since it's only 10km/h more.

The current rear hub motor should be able to do 1500 watt bursts (it doesn't seem to get warm even when doing sustained 40km/h for long periods of time so I'm fairly sure it's well within limits).

The controller, as you stated, handles up to 25 amps peak AND the big issue (or rather, challenge) is that the amp doesn't change EVEN when you change it from the display. It seems locked at 15amp regardless.

I imagine that if we could get adjust the controller from 15amps to 18-20amps, then we could achieve the desired results. I'm not sure if the 850C display would be any better at changing the amperage since it seems locked at the controller.

Is there a way to unlock it at the controller level? (Can we even program the controller individually? Is that why some people are using a USB wire/adapter?)

I also saw that someone had a phase regulator installed on an older Voltbike. Is this what it was for?

Likely yes on the USB cable allowing the changes but not sure if it would be password protected. Yes if you change the controller than you can open up things, I would use a different display all together to allow more options. By the way the controller on the new bikes shows 20 AMP on label but I emailed the manufacture and got the real numbers, Voltbike is just way conservative. Funny that on the older model with different controller you could adjust the amps up to 20 and it worked but you would blow that thing up after a year or two. Also the motor was the 500 watt but it could handle 1200 watt bursts anyway. M2S which is another of the many that uses the same China bike and it is a Class 3, pretty sure (difficult to get real answers) they use the same motor, controller and 800 display (with the 850C as a option).

I’m a bit confused about this whole post as all the solutions relate to hacking the electronics. Why not just put a larger chainring on so you can add more pedal power or were you specifically asking only about getting more power assist.

It is on all. The 2019 models has not confirmed this yet but do not think controller was changed. Easy to try just go to 20 and check the P setting or watts to see how high it goes, over 1000 with full battery they changed the lock. I doubt it.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 Yukon Limited and had to swap out the power electronics for Grin’s phaserunner and CA3 computer to go faster. Worth every penny if you want full control and to push the limits of the motor. I just recently swapped out the original 10Ah battery for a 21Ah battery with 40A continuous discharge to get even more speed. Here is the link to my mods. Battery swap on page 2.

Back