How are Ride1UP ebikes legal?

Frostybikes

Region
USA
It says they are class 3 ebikes, but that doesnt make sense. From what I understand, class 3 ebikes are not allowed to have a throttle, but their ebikes do (core-5 is the one in looking at).

Also, the law in most states with the class system say ebikes must have a motor output of less than 750 watts, while the ride1up ebikes (also other brands ive noticed) have motors that peak higher than that even though its 750 nominal. Does the law mean the nominal power must be less than 750 watts, and not the peak?

I understand that most police won't care, but I dont want to get in an accident and then get in even more trouble for riding an "illegal vehicle".

Am I reading the laws wrong? I'm in Ohio, but most states have the same class system.

The peak vs nominal is an issue for many ebikes. I haven't seen any resolution but I'd assume it's fine because it's so prevalent.

As for the throttle, it is not class 3 in most states (I know there's at least one that allows throttle on class 3, I think one of the SE states).

As for the throttle, it is not class 3 in most states
This.

The states that have not yet adopted the 3-class model ebike regulations have varying legacy moped definitions that would cover this type of ebike, for example the District of Columbia put Class 1-2 ebikes in a Motorized bicycle class, and Class 3 and throttle driven between 20-30mph in a ‘Motor Driven Cycle’ class with anything >30mph being classed as a moped or motorcycle and subject to full DOT requirements.

The states that have adopted the 3-class model ebike regulations usually copy and paste the California text eg Class 3 is pedal powered only, no throttle otherwise for example in Virginia an ebike with a throttle is a Class 2 under 20mph or it’s considered a moped up to 35mph or a motorcycle >35mph. New York State for various reasons decided to create an entirely unique to New York City Class 3 that does include throttle powered ebikes up to 25mph.

Some brands have a throttle that cuts off at 20mph but pedal assist up to 28mph that ought to fit under most states Class 3

Last edited:
FWIW, I contacted the NHTSA about a company marketing electric motorcycles for use without a moto license, used on roads and bike paths illegally, and without prior vehicle inspection. (Not Juiced). They have taken months to decide whether to do anything, and I still haven't heard back. Enforcement of anything ebike related on roads is a complete joke.

So far we've escaped the ridiculous Left Coast eBike nanny rulz.:mad:

Enforcement of almost ANY rules these days seems to be arbitrary.

Related story - here in Calgary, they are changing the road speed limits in residential areas, where if they'd simply enforced the old limits there wouldn't be issues.
So another bunch of $$$ spent changing signs and stuff.

As for e-bikes, thankfully there's little discussion here.
The main biking issues remain speed demons on public pathways - usually on road bikes, no bells, and wearing lycra.

Out in the the Rockies, both in and out of the National Parks like Banff, there's general guidelines that seem to be reasonable.
Act like a jerk - be prepared to be treated like one. Be considerate of others (including the environment), and people tend to leave you alone.

Back