Hot Rodded Rad

I ordered a 52v 13.5ah battery from Luna that goes right in the Radrover battery mount. I wouldn't know where to start with changing the controller though I wouldn't mind a bit more speed. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I did the same volatage battery as @woodsusa, but in the higher amperage 11.6 Ah configuration. You sacrifice a couple Ah of range for more peak power. I tried to change the controller once, but it was too hard finding a replacement and I was too nervous to splice/solder thin wires. I opted to install a BBSHD instead on Radrover frame. Will be selling that bike soon and my Mongoose Malus "Radrover" as well (Malus frame with Radrover ebike parts....basically a lot lighter Radrover).

Walawn, If I read the specs right the BBSHD and that 52v battery gives you a 1500 watt+ configuration or double the factory power. Did you also install the recommended temp probe, and if so, how hot do the windings get? More mundane, how hot is that hot rod.

@Thom I've seen 1760W max on my full color LCD display on a fresh battery. I did install an aquarium thermometer inside the case in between the controller and motor (silicone adhered to the motor side). I've seen temps as high as 140 F when pushing it hard. The larger cooling fins help the BBSHD dissipate heat better than the BBS02. The motor and gearing gets the 60 lb. Radrover up to about 35 mph if I keep my wieght and head down on the flats. It will usually pull 30 mph no problem and even up slight hills. You just have to remember to work the gears. I'll be selling it for around $2,000 USD and it has tons of (expensive) extras. It is turn-key and ready to ride.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but the silver "Radrover" will be sold for $1,000 USD and is basically a Radrover motor, controller, battery, and wheels on a Mongoose Malus frame with Maxxis Hookworm tires. 24-25 mph topspeed (180 lb. rider) and faster acceleration than stock Radrover (due to lighter weight). Has extras as well.

Last edited:
S'OK, not really hijacked as I was looking for owners who have done what you've done--replaced factory battery or controller or both like you did...and I understand, this thread will get a lot of folks interested in buying your hot rods. I'd be worried about the nylon gears in the hub motor. Are they taking the faster speeds OK?

@Thom473 hub motor is doing just fine. The top speed is about the same as the stock after you adjust it up to 40 kph. It may be a mile faster at full throttle. The Bafang G01 series geared hub motor is only wound for 20 mph and power drops off substantially past that point. I actually think the motor will last longer in this much lighter frame since there will be less wear on the drivetrain.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but the silver "Radrover" will be sold for $1,000 USD and is basically a Radrover motor, controller, battery, and wheels on a Mongoose Malus frame with Maxxis Hookworm tires. 24-25 mph topspeed (180 lb. rider) and faster acceleration than stock Radrover (due to lighter weight). Has extras as well.
Pic of the malus bike?

Silver Mongoose Malus Fat Tire Bike includes:

Downhill tubes
Tuffy tire liners
Maxxis Hookworm tires that are 2 inches smaller diameter than stock for more torque (26x2.5)
Bafang G01 geared hub motor (Radrover motor)
11.6 Ah 48V dolphin battery pack (Radrover battery)
22 Amp controller max operating around 16 Amps (Radrover controller)
Wiring harness and LCD display set to 40 kph (Radrover harness and display)
26 x 3 inch wheels (Radrover wheels)
Luna black right twist throttle grip set (custom spliced into harness)
Shimano hydraulic disc brake set w/ cutoff switches
Sefaras gel seat and gel pad
Mongoose Malus frame
24-25 mph topspeed with 180 lb. rider, good torque up to 20 mph
No kickstand included
street use legal
$1,000 plus shipping cost

Attachments

• silver 1.jpg
    silver 1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 920
  • silver 2.jpg
    silver 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,052
  • silver 3.jpg
    silver 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 847
  • silver 4.jpg
    silver 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,140
  • silver 5.jpg
    silver 5.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Black RPB Radrover with BBSHD includes:

BBSHD mid-drive motor with full color LCD and hotrod programming (1760 W on 58.8V)
11.6 Ah 52V dolphin battery pack from Luna Cycle
custom temperature sensor installed in motor
Origin 8 wheels with presta valves ($350 wheel set)
Origin 8 Super Cell tires (26x4)
Tuffy tire liners
Custom wide seat
Luna Cycle Twist throttle grip kit (orange)
Topeak Super Tourist Disc Rack (not pictured)
Topeak MDX Rack Bag with Paniers (not pictured)
Luna Cycle fat tire fork
Shimano hydraulic brake set for BBSHD (from Luna Cycle)
Suspension seat post
Radrover frame
30-35 mph topspeed
offroad only
$2,000 plus shipping cost

Attachments

• black 1.jpg
    black 1.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • black 2.jpg
    black 2.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 769