Hitch Rack

yusiboyz

Region
USA
Hey Guys,

I currently have 2 - Rad Rover 5. We are wanting a 2" Hitch. I currently ordered the Rocky Mounts Backstage but I think it may not hold the two bikes because of the weight? Am I correct?

I am trying to get one with a swing away hitch So I can open my van doors without removing the bikes.

From Rad Rover website the "5 weighs 65lbs. So technically, no that rack will not hold them. But.... you can remove the batteries to reduce the weight. Still, not sure how specific the rack is rated. I would think that they would hold a little more than spec'd but do you want to take a chance? There are other hitch racks rated to hold heavier ebikes. Hollywood Racks has one that holds two 80# ebikes (Sport Rider for Electric Bikes, HR1500). Cheaper too.

I just got a Kuat NV 2.0, these are rated at 60lb per bike and I have two Radrover 6 plus on it with no issue. I remove the batteries. I also just got the Saris swing away arm for it, instead of the Kuat swing arm because Saris one was much cheaper ad on sale..... used it on my 2021 f-150 with no issue so far for a week....traveled over 50 miles on it with no issue.

Please also make sure you're considering the overall tongue weight that you'll be putting on that hitch. These racks can weigh 80-100lbs on their own. If you're adding a hitch to a car or SUV that doesn't have any tow capability, any hitch you do add will likely have a relatively low tongue weight (highly likely 200lbs or less - which a rack and 2 RadRover bikes are going to exceed).

I have had the 1 UP Heavy duty 2 inch and now the 1.25 Quick Rack single. They are rock solid, easy to install and mount your bikes and made in the good ole US of A.

Attachments

• 1up.jpg
    1up.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 182
Please also make sure you're considering the overall tongue weight that you'll be putting on that hitch. These racks can weigh 80-100lbs on their own. If you're adding a hitch to a car or SUV that doesn't have any tow capability, any hitch you do add will likely have a relatively low tongue weight (highly likely 200lbs or less - which a rack and 2 RadRover bikes are going to exceed).

Probably shouldn't allow 1,25" bike racks to be marketed for ebikes w/o more cautions. I also think a 120 load will leverage above 200 lbs when you hang it 2 feet beyond the hitch. What saves us is conservative ratings on the hitches and I use roof straps which should lesson the load, and serve as a last ditch resort to hold the rack//bikes if it does break away.
Everyone I've talked to, who uses a rack, me included, has had a near accident with bikes jumping out when we were careless.

Everyone I've talked to, who uses a rack, me included, has had a near accident with bikes jumping out when we were careless.
Which I had on my Thule XT…this rack does fold back allowing access to my Honda Ridgeline’s in bed trunk And it holds my two ebikes securely

Probably shouldn't allow 1,25" bike racks to be marketed for ebikes w/o more cautions. I also think a 120 load will leverage above 200 lbs when you hang it 2 feet beyond the hitch. What saves us is conservative ratings on the hitches and I use roof straps which should lesson the load, and serve as a last ditch resort to hold the rack//bikes if it does break away.
I feel pretty comfortable with my 1 Up 1.25 carrying my 35 lb Gravelster or my 55 lb Espin Sport with the battery removed.

I use a Kuat NV 2.0 rack and have a Kuat Pivot V2 (swing arm) for use on either my minivan (w/ rear lift gate) daily driver or my MB Sprinter based RV (w/ rear barn doors). Really like both the rack (left on the daily driver) and swing arm (used only when going on a trip where rear access is needed WITH bikes still on the rack. I really like how easy it is to rear back the ebike (Rad Rover) applying rear brake, pivot front wheel onto Kuat's "track", then roll it forward as I lift the back end, letting the front wheel settle into the wheel holder, swing the ratcheting arm up and lock down, cinch w/ velcro strap on front wheel, strap rear wheel to track.....couldn't be easier or faster. I use it despite ebike having full fenders. Loaded/unloaded it hundreds of times, driven it on the rack(s) 5-50 miles frequently, over 100 miles occasionally.....quiet, stable, secure. Pivot v2 deemed a significant upgrade over original Pivot.

You need to verify what class of hitch is on your vehicle. If hauling two ebikes you will need at least a Class 3 hitch. It has a tongue weight capacity of 350-500lbs. It is the class used for factory installations on most pickups, vans, and SUVs. These will have a 2" square receiver tube.

If you're not sure, check with your mechanic.

I just ordered two trays for the Quik Rack Mach 2 from QuikrStuff.com based out of Colorado. The rack was invented from the same person that made the 1Up rack. It is a no tools needed to install or remove, just a barrel lock key. My SUV has a 500lbs tongue weight limit for my Radrover and Radcity ebikes. The rack (30lbs) and each tray (22lbs) take a few minutes to install each. The over the tires trays are set to handle up to 5" fat tires and wheelbases up to 56". Each tray can hold a lot for a 2" receiver:
- one tray installed: 120lbs
- two trays installed: 240lbs
- three trays installed: 300lbs
- four trays installed: 180lbs

The made in America rack is expensive and there is a very long waiting period for this rack. It is replacing my +70lbs steel Saris SuperClamp 4 with fat tire trays.

I just ordered two trays for the Quik Rack Mach 2 from QuikrStuff.com based out of Colorado. The rack was invented from the same person that made the 1Up rack. It is a no tools needed to install or remove, just a barrel lock key. My SUV has a 500lbs tongue weight limit for my Radrover and Radcity ebikes. The rack (30lbs) and each tray (22lbs) take a few minutes to install each. The over the tires trays are set to handle up to 5" fat tires and wheelbases up to 56". Each tray can hold a lot for a 2" receiver:
- one tray installed: 120lbs
- two trays installed: 240lbs
- three trays installed: 300lbs
- four trays installed: 180lbs

The made in America rack is expensive and there is a very long waiting period for this rack. It is replacing my +70lbs steel Saris SuperClamp 4 with fat tire trays.

That rack is very cool. It is also stupid expensive. I would welcome a gift of a QuickrStuff rack but could not bring myself to pay their asking price. The 1UP is directly competing with that rack and I am very tempted by it.
When I am next in the market for a rack....I will likely go 1UP. In fact....I might gift my father my Thule and buy myself the 1UP.
I bought an older Thule T1 recently.....I am generally pleased with it, however, the 'hook arm' that holds the front tire seems to slip a bit during transport and makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I'm usually have to carry one ebike 85% of the time and the Quik Rack is lighter, faster, and easier to install compared to my old Saris 4 slot rack. It would be nice to uninstall/fold the Quik Rack and toss in the SUV hatch for added security, easy parking when not needed, or out of sight/out of mind when empty in/out of town. I thinking about upgrading to Himiway Cobra Pro 4.8" fat tire mid-drive and it comes in at +88lbs out the box. It is hard to find a ebike rack that can do +100lbs per slot without jumping up to a dirt bike rack (Himiway in 1st slot, add the Quick Rack 2nd rack in 30 seconds, and add the Radrover or Radcity in 2nd slot).

I'm usually have to carry one ebike 85% of the time and the Quik Rack is lighter, faster, and easier to install compared to my old Saris 4 slot rack. It would be nice to uninstall/fold the Quik Rack and toss in the SUV hatch for added security, easy parking when not needed, or out of sight/out of mind when empty in/out of town. I thinking about upgrading to Himiway Cobra Pro 4.8" fat tire mid-drive and it comes in at +88lbs out the box. It is hard to find a ebike rack that can do +100lbs per slot without jumping up to a dirt bike rack (Himiway in 1st slot, add the Quick Rack 2nd rack in 30 seconds, and add the Radrover or Radcity in 2nd slot).

I'm with you on the lighter/faster. I too only need to carry 1 bicycle 85% of the time. I don't wish to have the rack on my car 100% of the time so being able to quickly and easily remove the rack is imperative.
You have some weight concerns that I do not. I cannot foresee the future....but do wish to be able to carry 60+ lbs without worry. For now I only carry a Vado SL (35lbs+/-) so have no worries in that arena.
If I were interested in a 90lb bicycle I too would need to spend big bucks on a rack.

I recently very nearly purchased the 1UP rack for 1 bicycle....knowing that I could easily buy their ad-on to carry additional bike(s) in the future as needed. It looks bulletproof, light, easy on/off, and won't rust.
I stumbled locally upon a new-in-the-box Thule T1 for $200 that works for me so I jumped on it. It isn't the ultimate rack....but it very likely meets my minimal needs.

I mean no disrespect! That QuikRStuff rack is awesome. Weight limits aside....their price(s) are nothing short of outrageous. I frankly find it hard to believe that their lead times are due to massive sales volume(s) and not due to the size of their opration(s). They are WAY outside of 'the' price range. Cool stuff....but too rich for my blood.

Last edited:
I'm at that age when I'm one dumb bad lift away from a nagging lifetime injury. I sometimes had to psych myself up to lug out the +70lbs Saris rack and really really decide if I wanted to ride in the foothills across town or just out the garage around the neighborhood. I hoping the Quick Rack will give me +8 years of bike rack use and wider riding radius like my Saris did before.

It was around $1600 for dual rack, ebike ramp, wheel locks for arms, and license plate kit. It comes out to around $16 per month for 8 years if the Quik Rack will last that long like my Saris rack. I probably spend the same or more than that at the movies, monthly steaming service, or fast food drive thru each month. Just doing 1-2 less eating out each month and it could have zero impact on overall budget.

I'm at that age when I'm one dumb bad lift away from a nagging lifetime injury. I sometimes had to psych myself up to lug out the +70lbs Saris rack and really really decide if I wanted to ride in the foothills across town or just out the garage around the neighborhood. I hoping the Quick Rack will give me +8 years of bike rack use and wider riding radius like my Saris did before.

It was around $1600 for dual rack, ebike ramp, wheel locks for arms, and license plate kit. It comes out to around $16 per month for 8 years if the Quik Rack will last that long like my Saris rack. I probably spend the same or more than that at the movies, monthly steaming service, or fast food drive thru each month. Just doing 1-2 less eating out each month and it could have zero impact on overall budget.

Bikes and bike related stuff.....I cannot think of a better place to spend your money.

Stay healthy and enjoy!

It took exactly 2 months for my Quikrack to arrive. Did a test fit and it was very easy and light enough for my 4'11" wife to attach each platform, use the bike rack, and secure her ebike. I think it is around 28lbs for the folding hitch rack and 22 lbs for the additional folding tray for the 2nd ebike. I put both racks folded up back in the boxes they came in when not in use in the corner of the garage (both takes up the same space as a large storage container).

2016 Radrover +75lbs with all gear, 2023 Radcity Step-Thru +70lbs, and Quick ramp attached on the end of 2nd tray.
Rack with bike ramp.jpg

Rack with both bikes driver side.jpg

It took exactly 2 months for my Quikrack to arrive. Did a test fit and it was very easy and light enough for my 4'11" wife to attach each platform, use the bike rack, and secure her ebike. I think it is around 28lbs for the folding hitch rack and 22 lbs for the additional folding tray for the 2nd ebike. I put both racks folded up back in the boxes they came in when not in use in the corner of the garage (both takes up the same space as a large storage container).

2016 Radrover +75lbs with all gear, 2023 Radcity Step-Thru +70lbs, and Quick ramp attached on the end of 2nd tray.
Shweet!!

This is the ONLY rack other than my 1UPUSA that I would recommend. Quickr appears to be VERY similar. Enjoy your peace of mind!!

Back