Hitch rack for bikes with fenders

Goodleg

Region
USA
City
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
I recently bought a new ebike that has fenders I would like to keep.
Can someone recommend a hitch rack that can haul two ebikes with fenders. I have a two inch receiver on both cars.

this one has worked well for my bikes. I have a 2.5" tire one for my kid and mine is a 4" fat tire. both fit and both have fenters.

Whatever hitch rack you choose be sure to read the fine print for its weight carrying capacity. It needs to be reinforced enough to handle the extra ebike weight.

I use a kuat nv 2.0 to haul two Trek Allants. I just put the clamp on the front fenders. Keep in mind that the clamp is mostly for side to side motion, so you don't need a lot of downward force. And you can eliminate bouncing by using a tight strap on the front wheel.

You will no doubt hear lots of things like racks that clamp the downtube, cushioning the front wheel clamp with all sorts of stuff and so forth. IMHO, a waste of effort.

I'm very happy with the Motow, the ability to lower the rack with my battery powered drill and place the bikes is a real advantage.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 712
Same issue as OP. I converted my vintage Cannondale to electric and it weighs over 50 lbs. I have an Lectric on order for the wife and it has a fender so I have the same issues as the OP. I need a rack that can support two +50 lbs bikes (over 100 lbs combined) and one that has a fender. After doing some research and checking different racks in person (Rack Attack showroom) I decided on the Thule Easy Fold. It can support 130 lbs and does not hold the bikes by the tires. It comes with a license plate holder standard and I added working tail lights to be in compliance with the laws in my state. The only downside is it is super expensive.

zv0FwP6.jpg

N71cAhj.jpg

fRM63pB.jpg

As so many folks are asking about bike racks, I thought I'd share my experiences so far with this KAC Overdrive Sports K2 rack for a 2" hitch. I have this on a Honda HR-V attached to a hitch I bought from etrailer.com. It's rated for two 60 lb. bikes and we are carrying two Aventon Levels, which minus the batteries are each around 53 lbs.

We have driven over 4,000 miles so far in the past 2 weeks (Denver, CO to Washington DC and back) and it is solid as a rock! Of course, there is some sway with this much weight but the bolt through the hitch has not needed any tightening and the hook arms have hardly budged...I do check them periodically and tighten them down when needed.

One thing I needed to learn is to make sure the tilt mechanism shown in the close-up image here is fully locked in when returning to the position when transporting the bikes.

All in all, I highly recommend this rack!

Bought on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D94B52G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6Q4P6WHZGH41CARBTN64?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 5ED12ED3-0E16-49E5-8E1B-FD405DC6D736.jpeg
    5ED12ED3-0E16-49E5-8E1B-FD405DC6D736.jpeg
    927 KB · Views: 712
  • 3213CBFB-7B5F-455B-ADED-F64CBFEE1422.jpeg
    3213CBFB-7B5F-455B-ADED-F64CBFEE1422.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 618
  • 82077A3B-25FC-454A-9D42-201C65472409.jpeg
    82077A3B-25FC-454A-9D42-201C65472409.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 751
I adjusgted my wife's fender all the way up and then I have found I can just shove the tire hook under the fender.

Built my own, didn't want to spend 500-600 on one I'm only going to use a few times a year. Works great with fenders. Multiple uses take out the blocks, 500 lb capacity

Attachments

• Rack1.jpg
    Rack1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Rack 2.jpg
    Rack 2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 623
  • Rack3.jpg
    Rack3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 617
this one has worked well for my bikes. I have a 2.5" tire one for my kid and mine is a 4" fat tire. both fit and both have fenters.

I have the same rack, and like it pretty well. On an April trip over Snoqualmie Pass to eastern Washington, it carried our 2 bikes with no problem. (One is an ebike--60+ lbs, the other an analog townie; both are step-thrus). Of course we had to use top tube adapters. What impressed me was as I watched the bikes in the rear view mirror, I saw no bouncing or wobbling back and forth, even on rough roads. Were it not for our fenders, I might prefer the type that grips the wheels, but don't want to give up the fenders. This was on the back of a Rialta (small motorhome).

Back