Hitch rack for Allant+

Goodleg

Region
USA
City
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
I struggled with finding a rack to transport our bikes with fenders.
Here is what I hope is the answer for me.
It’s a 1UP Super Duty Double.

Attachments

• 4CB14BD1-2CB2-40E7-B643-F0440A1DB9FD.jpeg
    4CB14BD1-2CB2-40E7-B643-F0440A1DB9FD.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 8AADD75F-865B-4F9B-AF99-B2D9BDBFFAB8.jpeg
    8AADD75F-865B-4F9B-AF99-B2D9BDBFFAB8.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 507
  • CF712C29-73F0-4D3E-B768-E875FA8CECB5.jpeg
    CF712C29-73F0-4D3E-B768-E875FA8CECB5.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 402
How has it been working? Does it stress the rear fender? Would a road bike also clamp on or does it need to have wider tires? many thanks, John

There are now LOTS of hitch racks that will support eBikes as long as you have a 2" receiver. I had a RAD for 3 years as did a friend and I bought a cheap Hollywood Rack off of eBay and it carried both of our eBikes fine on both local and long trips.

I recently purchased a Trek Allant 9.9, and have upgraded my rack to a Thule T2 XT Pro - the King Kong of eBike racks (well the Kuat is also a great eBike rack). There is no rear fender clamp involved with either of these racks, just a rear rim/tire strap and a front tire clamp. Been on a 600 mile car trip already and the Thule rack did great (although it and the Kuat are not cheap racks).

Last edited:
How has it been working? Does it stress the rear fender? Would a road bike also clamp on or does it need to have wider tires? many thanks, John
Although 1UP says I don’t need it, I may still Velcro the rear tire just so a bounce doesn’t impact the light on the fender.
And here it is with my wife’s bike. Both are solid.

Attachments

• DE3F399B-E806-471E-9FB2-C57CD90F4492.jpeg
    DE3F399B-E806-471E-9FB2-C57CD90F4492.jpeg
    672.6 KB · Views: 307
There are now LOTS of hitch racks that will support eBikes as long as you have a 2" receiver. I had a RAD for 3 years as did a friend and I bought a Hollywood Rack off of eBay and it carried both of our eBikes fine on both local and long trips.

I recently purchased an Allant 9.9, and have upgraded my rack to a Thule T2 XT Pro - the King Kong of eBike racks (well the Kuat is also a great eBike rack). There is no rear fender clamp involved with either of these racks, just a rear rim/tire strap and a front tire clamp. Been on a 600 mile car trip already and the Thule rack did great (although it and the Kuat are not cheap racks).
I emailed Kuat and the replied NOT to use their rack with a fender.

I emailed Kuat and the replied NOT to use their rack with a fender.
I agree with what Kuat told you. The Thule T2 XT Pro and the Kuat high end racks both use a similar clamp arm on the front tire, and while my Trek dealer said it is ok to use the clamp over the front fender of my Trek I do not agree as the front arm clamp needs to have a lot of pressure on the front tire and I took my front fender off.

Kuat also works great with my Allant+ 7s. Clamp just in front of front fender. Very secure.
Also a tip for suspended front forks: lock the pistons to ensure a consistent clamp.

The clamps on Kuat racks don't need a lot of downward pressure. The weight of the bike itself holds the bike in the rack. The clamp adds stability, especially side to side. No need to take off the fender!

Yes, Kuat NV 2.0 works great for all of my bikes (well maybe exception is Tern GSD Gen 2) - and all of my bikes have fenders. The rear tire is secured with a ratcheting strap and not with clamp arms. The front tire is secured with a clamp arm but the front fenders are short enough on most bikes such that there is plenty of tire available for the clamp. And this includes my Allant 9.9s which I transport with great frequency on the Kuat. This spring, I'm upgrading to the Kuat Piston Pro for better salt & corrosion protection and the higher per bike weight limit. The primary reason my Tern GSD Gen 2 isn't a great fit on the Kuat is the long wheel base. Secondarily, it exceeds the per bike weight limit of the NV 2.0 by 10 lbs or so. Nevertheless, I transport it small distances using a racheting strap secured inside my Subaru to take some of the weight off of the rack tray. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the Piston Pro. Anyone want to buy a 3 year old NV 2.0 (have it on a 2" hitch presently)? If I recall correctly, the Piston Pro will have the option of a clamp arm made specifically for bikes with fenders. Fenders are addressed at about the 1 minute mark of this video for the new Piston Pro:

Attachments

• Kuat1.jpg
    Kuat1.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Kuat2.jpg
    Kuat2.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I struggled with finding a rack to transport our bikes with fenders.
Here is what I hope is the answer for me.
It’s a 1UP Super Duty Double.
I am where you were last fall in that I just purchased my first ebike and am rack hunting. I guess I don't get it why dedicated ebike racks, at $500-1000 have modest weight restraints as compared to dirt bike/motorcycle racks at half the price? How has your 1Up worked out? I can't seem to find any comments from folks that own one-only folks selling one (not an encouraging sign)! At least it is rated to handle more weight (75 lbs) than most ebike racks (usually 60). I'd really like to know what folks have to say about whatever racks they use-both likes and gripes. I realize there are many factors involved (fenders, step-thru frames, etc). But I will be transporting my bike a lot and don't want to be worrying and looking in the rear-view mirror the entire time! User reviews online on nearly all the racks have some pretty negative comments; but I can't help but wonder if some were because of improper mounting, etc. Anyway, my bike is a step-thru but doesn't have fenders. It weighs under 60 lbs. I'll be loading it myself, and I'm 70. So I'll probably get some sort of ramp whether it comes with the rack or not. Both the Thule and Kuat were recommended in another thread, which I appreciate. But I'd like more input on other brands, as well. Thanks!

I am where you were last fall in that I just purchased my first ebike and am rack hunting. I guess I don't get it why dedicated ebike racks, at $500-1000 have modest weight restraints as compared to dirt bike/motorcycle racks at half the price? How has your 1Up worked out? I can't seem to find any comments from folks that own one-only folks selling one (not an encouraging sign)! At least it is rated to handle more weight (75 lbs) than most ebike racks (usually 60). I'd really like to know what folks have to say about whatever racks they use-both likes and gripes. I realize there are many factors involved (fenders, step-thru frames, etc). But I will be transporting my bike a lot and don't want to be worrying and looking in the rear-view mirror the entire time! User reviews online on nearly all the racks have some pretty negative comments; but I can't help but wonder if some were because of improper mounting, etc. Anyway, my bike is a step-thru but doesn't have fenders. It weighs under 60 lbs. I'll be loading it myself, and I'm 70. So I'll probably get some sort of ramp whether it comes with the rack or not. Both the Thule and Kuat were recommended in another thread, which I appreciate. But I'd like more input on other brands, as well. Thanks!
1 UP racks are rock solid. I had the Super Duty 2 when I had a 2inch receiver (it never flinched) and just received my 1.25 Quick Rack for my new E-SUV. It should be fine for my Espin Sport or Ride 1 UP Gravel...

I have the Thule T2 Pro XT rack and carry a full size Rad step thru (actual weight is 67 lbs - and yes, I weighed myself and then picked the bike up and weighed myself again !) and a Trek Allant 9.9s Stagger - 47 lbs advertised, and a hel of a lot esier to load on my rack than the Rad even with the battery off. I carry both of these bikes on my Thule and the rack has been rock solid on trips as long as 450 miles. My Thule is the newer Pro XT model that has little wheels for easier transport to and from the car. It, like the Kuat racks are IMO the best of the rest - the Thule is about $650 and the Kuat is about $750 as I recall.

Again IMO only, these 2 brands are the brands that all other racks are compared too, and no front fenders allowed on either of these high end racks, but there are good racks available now that allow leaving the front fenders on. Do I wish I could leave my front fenders on on my rack? Answer = yes. We rode thru some wet Georgia red clay in NW Georgia about 6 months ago and I did not get all of it off after the ride and I'm still removing that stuff today.

Thank you both for your quick replies. My eyes are crossing from all the research I’ve done. But I don’t think I would have EVER felt educated enough to make a decent decision on a bike w/o these forums. So I’ll listen and learn here.

My uat rack works fine with our two Trek Allants, fenders and all. There's a mistaken impression that the front wheel hook on the Kuat can damage fenders. I suppose it could if the fender is very flimsy, but consider that the downward force of the hook is minimal. It's purpose is to control side to side sway. If you're concerned about bouncing the front wheel out of the tray, use a second strap on the wheel, like you already do for the rear wheel.

The new Hyundai Kona EV met the 1.25 1 Up rack this morning for a trip to the LBS for my Ride 1 Up Gravelster! The guys at Uhaul did a nice job installing the hitch and the rack went on smooth as silk. Now lets let the LBS get me back together. Seems my front wheel is out of true and the front brakes rub. Might even have them add some Slime.

Attachments

• 1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 204
Back