Hitch Rack for 2 Allant+ 7s

Some of us do..

When I picked up my ebike, I had to drive on a toll road. I have a transponder for the tolls, but the plates are required to be visible too. I had to put a hitch on my car, buy a rack, add a wiring harness to the car, add turn/brake lights to the rack, add a plate holder with lights to the rack.

I have used it exactly once, but I know that I have a safe, legal, and reliable way to transport my ebike when needed.

The Saris MTR rack holds my RadCity ST (with fenders) securely with no wobble and without possibility of damaging the frame or fenders. It only clamps on the tires.

My answer was convert a rack I already had. Pictures are with the wife's Electra but the Allant fits just as well

Attachments

• Rack 2.jpg
    Rack 2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Rack1.jpg
    Rack1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Rack3.jpg
    Rack3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 231
I ordered the 1up Super Duty. Don't have it yet but I think it should be okay.
Added the wheel stop and fender cushion.
Have been laying it and my wife's bike in the back of my pickup but that is tough after a long ride.
Also like the way they fold up while parked.

We haul 2 Allant 8s with a Kuat NV 2.0. We use the front wheel clamp just as we would on any other bike. Keep in mind that the downward force of the clamp isn't much. It's main purpose is to prevent side to side movement. We also have the Kuat ramp, which is OK. We use it to load the first bike, the one nearest the vehicle, but just lift the second into place. With two people it's not hard.

My answer was convert a rack I already had. Pictures are with the wife's Electra but the Allant fits just as well
I've been considering doing something similar.

Are the red blocks wood blocks cut to fit? How do you mount them so that they stay in place? Are they easily removed to convert back to a standard cargo (non-bike) hitch rack?

The blocks are easily removed, two lags and two screws in each. If you look closely at the rack 3 picture you will see a piece of angle iron I installed across the bottom of the rack. This angle is bolted through the bottom tube of the rack and stays in place. Two 5/16s X 3" lags go through the angle into the wood. There are also two #10 X 2 1/2 screw going into the ends, these help with the alignment so the lags always go into the same hole. Ten minutes top to install or remove the blocks. Biggest trick was getting the rounded corners to fit . 4 1/2" of wood is a lot to cut. 12" compound miter saw came in handy

The blocks are easily removed, two lags and two screws in each. If you look closely at the rack 3 picture you will see a piece of angle iron I installed across the bottom of the rack. This angle is bolted through the bottom tube of the rack and stays in place. Two 5/16s X 3" lags go through the angle into the wood. There are also two #10 X 2 1/2 screw going into the ends, these help with the alignment so the lags always go into the same hole. Ten minutes top to install or remove the blocks. Biggest trick was getting the rounded corners to fit . 4 1/2" of wood is a lot to cut. 12" compound miter saw came in handy
Thanks!

Have been laying it and my wife's bike in the back of my pickup but that is tough after a long ride.
Excellent choice! It does fold up to be very compact when not in use on my Tahoe.
Very well built US Made Carrier!

I have this rack. It's working out great for an Allant+ and an Electra Vale Go. Pricey, but should be the last bike rack you'll ever need to buy. I added one fender cushion and a fat bike spacer for the Vale's rear wheel. The entire rack folds up nicely when not in use (see attached). A similar rack would by the Quikr, which is the company started I believe by the original designer of the 1up (there was some bad blood several years ago).

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 227
BC3A4C62-B1A9-47CB-A52E-20AB602BE69E.jpeg

Have to install the wheel stop and fender cushion but so far it seems great.

I have this rack. It's working out great for an Allant+ and an Electra Vale Go. Pricey, but should be the last bike rack you'll ever need to buy. I added one fender cushion and a fat bike spacer for the Vale's rear wheel. The entire rack folds up nicely when not in use (see attached). A similar rack would by the Quikr, which is the company started I believe by the original designer of the 1up (there was some bad blood several years ago).
If you can post a picture, I would like to see it with your Allant.

I just posted this on another hitch rack question, and will add that the Thule EZ Fold is also a great rack as I have seen one used recently carrying eBikes.

There are now LOTS of hitch racks that will support eBikes as long as you have a 2" receiver. I had a RAD for 3 years as did a friend and I bought a Hollywood Rack off of eBay and it carried both of our eBikes fine on both local and long trips.

I recently purchased an Allant 9.9, and have upgraded my rack to a Thule T2 XT Pro - the King Kong of eBike racks (well the Kuat is also a great eBike rack). There is no rear fender clamp involved with either of these racks, just a rear rim/tire strap and a front tire clamp. Been on a 600 mile car trip already and the Thule rack did great (although it and the Kuat are not cheap racks).

Back