High wattage ebikes

regarding this high power motor discussion: a motor/ebike rated power level, in my case 500w, means the motor will take 500w all day long with no damage or overheating. All systems will deliver the maximum current the controller will allow (and the battery can supply). again in my case 22amp. so in theory 22 x 54.6v (full charge 48v battery) I have almost 1200 w going in the hub on a full power pull. Assuming 100% efficiency. In reality the most my watt meter measures is 1089w on a 500W system. That's how I beat JR up his steep hill. But his 350w system is probably pulling 750-850w on the same pull.

To answer your question Berry78, anytime you add assistance to your system by pedaling, your lightening the load, reducing overheating etc. Some torque sensing systems will equalize or multiply your input but some will lessen the electric assist if you pedal harder. Ex: if the system is set to provide 350 w of boost and you put in 100, the system puts in 250, but if you mash it for 250 the system will only contribute 100.

Holy cow...good thing I'm a slow decision maker! Definitely want a system that will multiply...

Unfortunately most of the ebike shops in MD are in the flatter areas...but if anyone knows a shop in a hilly area, I can consider driving... (probably can't get to the west coast though).

Holy cow...good thing I'm a slow decision maker! Definitely want a system that will multiply...

Unfortunately most of the ebike shops in MD are in the flatter areas...but if anyone knows a shop in a hilly area, I can consider driving... (probably can't get to the west coast though).
There are several Trek dealers between Breezewood and Pittsburgh, PA. Most of the Trek Dealers are carrying their ebike line and Bosch powered Electra Townie Go ebikes. You won't find steeper road hills to climb anywhere in the world. Literally, see this thread about their hills.

Also, to see and test ride many ebikes in one place, attend the ebike expo in Washington DC.

http://www.electricbike-expo.com/locations/washington-dc/

J.R. that is some awesome footage! Thank you very much for posting it. The motor was working hard, but sounded consistant anyway. Pretty impressive that a 250w system could go up those switchbacks! (Maybe you have Popeye legs?). Didn't hear you panting at all...

Awesome about the trek dealers, I'll check it out! Am planning on going to the expo ;)

Just for fun, this is the last part of a 3000 foot climb I did to the small locality of Sonchaux in Switzerland. Basically it overlooks Lake Geneva, which is actually called Lake Leman...

I went to high school in Leysin, thanks for the footage.

Back