Hi

If you go to the Optibike website I think you can sign up with them and they often send emails to a mailing list for reconditioned bikes that customers have traded in. Sometimes you can get bikes that would be under $6k.

But the whole notion of you producing so much power that you must have a belt drive and a derailleur system and chain can't handle your power, is something I'm not sure I agree with. If you produce that much power then you're producing more power than world tour pro cyclists at the highest level i.e. guys like Peter Sagan, Mark Cavendish, and the retired Fabian Cancellara. If you truly produce that much power then why is an ebike necessary?

I can see that it's one or the other, but not both. Maybe you produce that kind of massive power, but anyone who has that much power has no need for a motor, not even close. If you need the motor then I'm not buying you can produce that much power. I can't produce anywhere near the power of a world tour pro cyclist. I can't even produce enough power to be competitive with an amateur cat 3 cyclist. But I can easily do my commute to work that's about 12 miles each way with about 130 meters of elevation gain. Last week I easily did a 61 km ride with 730 meters of elevation gain with no motor at all.

Welcome to the site.
Yes, throttles quit working in the rain. I've had two of them do it. Carry a grocery bag & a long kale tie if you're going to ride in heavy rain. A hair dryer repairs them.
Sorry Covid hit you so hard. I had the fever for 137 days but it wasn't worse than regular flu, just would never go away. Plus the desert dry nose for 2 weeks and couldn't smell food for 4 days. Being in aerobic good shape probably helped keep up the oxygen levels. No treatment prescribed but tylenol. I kept riding the bike as usual, just a little slower to keep my pulse rate down. My weight program (pilates) involves 5 lb hand weights. My body is designed for deer chasing on rainy WVa mountains. All legs, no torso.
I ride a geared hub motor with 80 lb of supplies up >80 hills up to 15% grade. 330 lb gross. A $221 ebikeling would start the weight unassisted on that grade. Now I have a Mac12t, less watts (500) but more torque. With those, & pedaling unpowered 80% of the time, my 8 speed chain lasts 5000 miles.
But you shouldn't have any trouble with broken spokes or rims on a R&M. My $1900 yuba also came with real steel wheels & real aluminum frame, but most wouldn't want a hard suspension cargo frame. I shop off the bike, the stretch frame balances the load best. With my weight on the front tire, high pavement separators & speed bumps never yank the bars out of my hands & throw me over the handlebars. (5 times on MTB & cruisers)
Hope you build your endurance fast. The body is built to heal, if the bugs don't kill us in the first week or two.

Last edited:
Oh yeah the lower maintenance of a belt and IGH is attractive, that's for sure.

btw - is that a picture of you in the first post? Wow, would never guess you weigh over 300 lbs. - You look like you could be an NFL linebacker.

Wow, that is pretty amazing.

It would be cool if you got an indoor trainer and got on Zwift, it would be interesting to see your power numbers. Of course now I'm questioning why you even ride an ebike. I mean with power like that you have no need for a motor. Even if you weigh 300 lbs, your power to weight ratio still has to be really high.

Look at the Sondors Rockstar It is a great bike Is does not have a belt drive though.

Back