Hi tech solution to a low tech issue.

Thanks Bob!

Attachments

• D878E8B7-7AB2-4486-9D62-C328844C3F16.jpeg
    D878E8B7-7AB2-4486-9D62-C328844C3F16.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 734
I wouldn't mind front/rear dashcams running, if they were small enough. Then my estate can sue the socks of the driver that took me out. There was an e-biker in NYC who got chased thru the streets briefly by some kind of park or city cop. Although he was clearly in the wrong for running, the cameras showed the pursing vehicle running him off the road. Bingo. Six figure settlement/ The mirrycle for about $10-12 is the best solution I've tried so far. Fits my my flat bar and mountain bike bars very well. I really need it to locate my riding partner behind me. My neck is too stiff these days to swivel and look.

I hear you Harry. I just like that I can see the rear with just a glance and not have to be diverted from what’s ahead.

I was thinking about the same thing but with a dedicated screen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NH0DA2...82fb-6291bd46c669&ie=UTF8&qid=1518013500&sr=3

I currently have a 12v battery (using M18 battery) that I use to power my electric gloves and was thinking I could do the same to power this device. I'm just not sure how much power it draws. The kit uses a cigarette lighter but the barrel connector will also connect to my power tool battery. The battery is listed at 2 amp hour

That’s cool. Several companies offer them but some plug into the car lighter etc. what I liked about the phone is that I didn’t have to tap the bike’s power supply. With the screen on constantly it munches the phone battery. I worked around that by attaching it to an auxiliary dedicated battery of its own. So far so good.

Who would have believed it. I still remember some elderly neighbors growing up having outhouses and a hand pump in the kitchen. We recently did a commercial with a consumer grade drone using follow me flight protocols to follow a rider doing some single track riding. Talk about situational awareness. You could get an aerial view of upcoming and following threats and likely could train it to dock back on your rack. All in a package that fits in your hand. Beam me up Scotty. Cool work Joe. Now for the autonomous eBike.

Thanks, that is most helpful. I don’t think I will mind the cluttered cockpit if it is going to help save my ass. So you found that that set up was helpful to you? I just got back into riding again last summer and have lost all of my youthful invincibility complex. The camera I mentioned in my post is going for like $100 which I don’t find to be out of the question. I think it’s certainly worth a try. I also don’t mind turning to look, it just seems that every time I turn back forward I get nervous that I might’ve missed something. Extreme safety paranoia.
About a year ago I bought the "GeekPro" from Amazon for well under $100, but that particular camera is no longer available. This onelooks exactly the same except it offers a remote control, which mine didn't. It can connect via WiFi to a smartphone with an app. At $64 for Prime members, it's not a bad deal for those wanting to try their own setup. I love my handlebar mirror and can't imagine riding without something to help me see what's lurking behind me.

About a year ago I bought the "GeekPro" from Amazon for well under $100, but that particular camera is no longer available. This onelooks exactly the same except it offers a remote control, which mine didn't. It can connect via WiFi to a smartphone with an app. At $64 for Prime members, it's not a bad deal for those wanting to try their own setup. I love my handlebar mirror and can't imagine riding without something to help me see what's lurking behind me.
I haven’t been riding much because it has been too cold here in the Northeast, but in the few times that I have demoed this set up it is working beautifully. I have upgraded the screen to a 7 inch tablet and it does look a bit large but it’s much easier to see and gets the job done.

Great job Joe! Tablet seems like a bit of overkill but whatever works.

JMO but I hope your setup also records video stream.. To me that's more important.

Last edited:
@Joe EE this is really cool! I assume the rear camera inverts the image, so left is left? Also, where did you get those cool looking pannier bags?

Wow! That is awesome! I started laughing because when I was early in design phase I had the idea of being the first to offer this. I strapped a drone to the back of my bike to test it, synced the phone to the camera and took off. A drone camera is not reversed so I thought cars were coming the wrong way and the unexpected image almost wrecked me! LOL I blame lack of sleep. Nice job!

I like the idea of using it as an accident cam more than anything. Recording on a loop, or clear the data after each ride. I find a handlebar mirror to be efficient and sufficient.
One thing to be aware of, led headlamps may appear to flash when viewed via a camera, just fyi.

So I ended up purchasing the unit I mentioned above and hooked it up to a Milwaukee 12v battery. I had to cut the 12v cigarette lighter wire and added a barrel connector. I'll have to ride around a while to see how long the battery lasts. I removed the stand on the display and used my phone holder to fasten the display.

IMG_20180714_172644.jpgIMG_20180714_172740.jpgIMG_20180714_172907.jpg

I also purchased a DC to DC converter from Grin to convert my 48v to 12v / 20 watt. I'll probably end up cutting the battery cable from the cradle and adding some Anderson connectors so I can put the converter in-between. That way, the unit will turn on when I turn on the battery.

I have other devices that run on 12v. It is possible to fan the output from the converter for multiple devices?

Last edited:
Who would have believed it. I still remember some elderly neighbors growing up having outhouses and a hand pump in the kitchen. We recently did a commercial with a consumer grade drone using follow me flight protocols to follow a rider doing some single track riding. Talk about situational awareness. You could get an aerial view of upcoming and following threats and likely could train it to dock back on your rack. All in a package that fits in your hand. Beam me up Scotty. Cool work Joe. Now for the autonomous eBike.
My grandparents still had an outhouse into the 1960's. They did have a pressurized water in the kitchen from the well. They still heated the house and cooked on a wood stove. There were electric lights. They lived in Tieton, WA.

Only someone born and raised in the computer age could think of a solution like this. For us "ancient ones" mirrors are second nature, just as your phone screens are to you.

Back