Hi from New Zealand

WasiTheKiwi

Hi im new to ebikes having purchased 2 x Fat bikes with 750w geared hub motors for my wife and I and we have been having a ball with them until we have encountered a few issues and hopefully some of the tech savvy people here can help me.

Welcome to the EBR community, @WasiTheKiwi, and glad that you two are enjoying your Fat Bikes. What models did you purchase? Please feel free to upload some pics of your bikes here and start a thread with your questions. There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks on this Forum :)

Just a quick pick of our fat bikes :)

Attachments

• rad.PNG
    rad.PNG
    675.8 KB · Views: 772
Nice bikes, but I'm more impressed with the empty beaches. Spent 3 weeks touring southern part of the south island last year. NZ is one of the very few places I'm sure I'll go back to visit.

Nice bikes, but I'm more impressed with the empty beaches. Spent 3 weeks touring southern part of the south island last year. NZ is one of the very few places I'm sure I'll go back to visit.
That pic was taken on a Sunday afternoon at "Ohope beach" Bay of Plenty, New Zealand we road 11 miles each way and only saw 1 other person.

That pic was taken on a Sunday afternoon at "Ohope beach" Bay of Plenty, New Zealand we road 11 miles each way and only saw 1 other person.
Lol. I was constantly surprised at how few people there were - "major" roads and we often couldn't see anyone in front or behind us - except when we'd get stuck behind one of those underpowered combis who seem to all be rented by the worst drivers on the planet...grrr...and who never pull over to let traffic by.

Does NZ allow emtbs on their trails? I'd love to rent a few emtbs and spend a week touring some of the country

Lol. I was constantly surprised at how few people there were - "major" roads and we often couldn't see anyone in front or behind us - except when we'd get stuck behind one of those underpowered combis who seem to all be rented by the worst drivers on the planet...grrr...and who never pull over to let traffic by.

Does NZ allow emtbs on their trails? I'd love to rent a few emtbs and spend a week touring some of the country
Yes they allow ebikes on the trails.
The law in NZ is very clear. Both pedal bikes and pedal assist bikes (power assisted cycles) are equal in the law and have to be afforded equal rights on all public land. Local authorities have tried to make up rules for the land they manage but they cannot supersede what parliament has decided and passed into law. But on any cycle on any trail you'll have to wear a helmet.

Central Otago rail trail.
Rent the ebikes from these guys

https://www.bikeitnow.co.nz/

Back