Help with purchase please!

karap

I would love some advice on a purchase of an ebike. I'm considering the Specialized Como vs. the Electra Townie Go 8i. Which one is better quality and more comfortable (both step-through).

I would take the Como in a heartbeat, but I'm biased for derailleur-geared bikes. Try them both, do an extended demo, and decide which YOU like better. They're both very good.
One is a beach cruiser and one is a crossbike, or hibrid. One is more performance oriented. They are slightly different riding styles. Do you know what kind of rider you are??

Welcome to the forum! 👍

When I visited a Specialized dealer in their home-town (Morgan Hill, CA) they offered a 24-hour rental on the bike of your choice for $100, and applied the fee to the purchase cost. A great way to make a final determination on your model of choice. You might ask your dealer for something similar if that makes sense for you.

In our locale the Trek dealers are the nicest stores by far, and all have a staff dedicated to your satisfaction. For us it got down to choosing a competent dealer. It became obvious this was nearly as important as the choice of bike model. An ebike is considerably more complicated than a pedal bike, and if it quits running you want it fixed properly and quickly. The big-3 have been known to replace the whole bike for certain failures. Yes, they cost more.

Thanks very much for the info., it was helpful! I rented the Specialized for a full day, and test-rode the Electra. I love the looks of the Electra, but love the ride of the Specialized. I also like the integrated battery on the Specialized, but I'm concerned that when the bike goes out of style the battery may not be available.

I've been encouraged to try the Scott Sub Active out of Oregon (any opinion on that one?). Thanks again, this is a great site!

Thanks very much for the info., it was helpful! I rented the Specialized for a full day, and test-rode the Electra. I love the looks of the Electra, but love the ride of the Specialized. I also like the integrated battery on the Specialized, but I'm concerned that when the bike goes out of style the battery may not be available.

I've been encouraged to try the Scott Sub Active out of Oregon (any opinion on that one?). Thanks again, this is a great site!

Excellent.
Batteries can be 're-celled' long after the warranty is past.

I didn't ride the Como, but it is the most like our Roll that we got four years ago for the wife. I nearly bought a step-over and converted it. Toyed with the idea a time or two.
Specialized makes very nice bikes.

There's a local company here that makes a beach-cruiser here in the US with a hub drive, very nice bikes as well: https://electricbikecompany.com/
Might be worth checking out.

Scott is well known for their mountain bikes. 👍 I'm not aware of their ebike lines.

I am not big fan of derailleur e-bikes unless you intend to use as mtb. Even has some flows, internal gears have many advantages especially if your ride is going to be on paved roads.

I would love some advice on a purchase of an ebike. I'm considering the Specialized Como vs. the Electra Townie Go 8i. Which one is better quality and more comfortable (both step-through).
try the different types available before you make a decision. Might find something better suited to your style. I recently went to purchase a new bike but found out i had difficult time getting on due to old knee injury

have a budget in mind and say it again test as many styles as possible

Back