Help with manufacture date query

rv15son

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking this topic goes in to trading/consumer law or something so i hope some people in the forum has knowledge about this situation to clarify and advise me on things.

So my bike is the Orbea gain F40 electric hybrid bike - 2019 which i bought in store via finance nearly 2 months back now. I rode my bike for the 1st time in the pouring rain and cleaned it when i got home. As i was cleaning i noticed a sticker under the frame (hidden quite discreetly) with the manufacturing date saying "manufacture date: 2017"

Quote me if im wrong on this but i always thought that if you bought a product online or in a shop and it states a "year" at the end of its name, it means that that product was made/manufactured/produced in that year?

Im thinking to dispute this with the shop to get some compensation (hopefully a full refund). I know it might seem petty for some but for me i feel like ive been duped out of my money for purchasing an out dated model when i wanted a brand new one. I guess this can fall along the lines of false advertisement/sales.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Most bikes, automobiles, motorcycles of a model year can and often are manufactured in the previous year. New ebike releases are getting earlier all the time. Giant has been selling 2020 ebikes all summer. I suspect most of those frames were manufactured in 2018.

It could be your frame was built in 2017 and that model hasn't changed since. To me the only important part of an ebike that must be new and fresh is the battery pack. All four of my packs have a manufacture date. If that is within 6 months from date of purchase, you should be okay. The next most important would be that the groupset is current and not a previous version.

The shop you bought the bike from should be able to hook it up to the EBikeMotion Dealer app to look up the official manufactured date for your bike. Like the others said, it really only matters for the battery.

Back