Help with Bafang fit in Raleigh spirit ...

reino14

Region
USA
Bafang people ... please look at my drawings. Will Bafang motor fit in this Raleigh with bad Currie motor? Need at least one measurement ... or maybe a smart person just knows! Thanks much! JimK

Attachments

• Bafang Motor Fit #1.jpg
    Bafang Motor Fit #1.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Bafang Motor Fit #2.jpg
    Bafang Motor Fit #2.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 107
This is a BBS01 that has the same shell. taking into account the extra length you need to accommodate the bolts that connect the controller to the motor shell, X should be roughly 145mm

0E7B2A4B-337D-4A49-AF1D-631CED77D700.jpeg

Thanks very much Dewey. If I could ask a bit more. Looks like a Bafang will fit (about 3/8+" to work with). I'm a pretty healthy 75 year old, former runner, 175 lbs, occasional biker. I Like this project. My goal is to have a smooth riding ebike, little need to exceed 20 mph, all good roads, few hills, no 40 mile excursions. What to do? Order 500w. kit, or can the 750w be tamed? I'm sure you know what I mean. Also, this bike has a 42T front sprocket. I'm fairly strong ... should I consider a 44T to 46T? I've read about ebikes, but have zero road time under power. One question leads to another ...

Thanks for taking the time! I see that you've been riding for awhile! Jim

I sold supported and owned every BBSxx series motor. My first were 36v 350W. Capable of 20 mph with a 240lb fat butt. My latest is a 36v 500w and it’s perfect. In all regards. Add an EM3ev battery for a sustainable reliable ride. IMO the 350w-500w 36v are the most reliable. I sold scores of aftermarket chainrings and after 8 years of sales and direct experience consider 42t the sweet spot.

I don’t know about the fit but if it works I’m very excited. That’s a really nice frame!!!

Where are you located? It’d be cool if you could find a worn out motor to test fit.

I’m using a hybrid 36v BBS01 motor with a 36v 500w BBS02 controller programmed as a Class 2, 42t Luna chainring with an adapter for 104 bcd, and a battery from EM3EV. The 02 has a stator/rotor that is about 20% wider than the 01 so if I were buying again I would likely just go with the 36v 500w BBS02 motor. I’ve had good service from California Ebike.

1E91C38B-811C-4622-821B-3FF7F123B730.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you know how far and in which direction the Luna adapter moves the chain line?
The adapter is not dished and neither is the chainring so it’s just the width of the adapter and the width of the chainring, a few mm, bolted on outward, probably very similar chain line to the stock Bafang chainring
spider2__48698.1531782475.jpg

Thanks very much Dewey. If I could ask a bit more. Looks like a Bafang will fit (about 3/8+" to work with). I'm a pretty healthy 75 year old, former runner, 175 lbs, occasional biker. I Like this project. My goal is to have a smooth riding ebike, little need to exceed 20 mph, all good roads, few hills, no 40 mile excursions. What to do? Order 500w. kit, or can the 750w be tamed? I'm sure you know what I mean. Also, this bike has a 42T front sprocket. I'm fairly strong ... should I consider a 44T to 46T? I've read about ebikes, but have zero road time under power. One question leads to another ...

Thanks for taking the time! I see that you've been riding for awhile! Jim

I have the 750w BBS02B running much smoother/tamer than stock. It's not absolutely perfect but if the motor fits I'm sure you can get it to where you are happy. Chain ring is kinda personal and also depends on your rear setup and terrain.. But I've tried smaller and larger and prefer the 46t... ymmv

The adapter is not dished and neither is the chainring so it’s just the width of the adapter and the width of the chainring, a few mm, bolted on outward, probably very similar chain line to the stock Bafang chainring
spider2__48698.1531782475.jpg

Thanks... The stock ring is offset inward and is dead on center of my 7sp.
Just by looks I think I would end up way too far out.
Whats the clearance like mounting the ring on the inside of the adapter?

Last edited:
But I've tried smaller and larger and prefer the 46t... ymmv
I like to point out that lazy shifting especially with larger chain rings can heat up a motor more quickly. Not shifting when coming to s stop and taking of from a dead stop in a road gear could lead to EVM. Extremely Varied Mileage That said I’ve been riding a 2014 BBS01(a) 36V 350W like a single speed on flat streets for a couple thousand miles. Top speed 14mph. The little bugger keeps rolling along.
42T OEM x whatever 3rd of 7 is.

Well that can be said about anything. Lazy and/or misuse will always result in higher maintenance.. if not totally destructive.
I think what many don't realize is that these motors are sold as Pedal Assist Bicycles... Not an automatic transmission mopeds.
That said my gionnirocket smooth tune is so much gentler on the motor and drive train. 🙃

Well that can be said about anything. Lazy and/or misuse will always result in higher maintenance.. if not totally destructive.
While you and I may be laissez-faire in our advice If I had a dollar for every asshat that fried his BBSxx claiming under the warranty simply because he was lazy...

It'd be a decent 12 y/o single malt bottle to share!
The goofy stuff we read here is often brilliant compared to some support calls...

Bafang people ... please look at my drawings. Will Bafang motor fit in this Raleigh with bad Currie motor? Need at least one measurement ... or maybe a smart person just knows! Thanks much! JimK
Hard to be accurate with the motor installed... But my BBS02B circa 2020
X = 150mm
Motor, top to bottom = 126mm

If I were you, I would try contacting a few sellers who can measure a current motor in hand.

While you and I may be laissez-faire in our advice If I had a dollar for every asshat that fried his BBSxx claiming under the warranty simply because he was lazy...

It'd be a decent 12 y/o single malt bottle to share!
The goofy stuff we read here is often brilliant compared to some support calls...
Well ass_hats need to be edjumicated. No better way than the pay as you go method 🤣

Back