Help/RadPower Wagon4/Bolton Upgrade

BBotts101

Hi, I have a 2020 RadWagon4. I added the Bolton screen/controller. More power for sure and much better up hills - BUT...The bike with 2 kids and a trailer lasts less than ~300 feet of accent and 5-6 miles. Is this normal?? I know it's a lot of weight but this seems crazy? I have a 700w Specialized Levo that I can get 8k of accent with (on 30%)......Can anyone tell me better settings on the Bolton screen.. I have a 52v battery on the way with a 750w Bafang hub....

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.19.17 AM.png

Last edited:
Myself, I'd be interested in what the Specialized Levo would get loaded like you have that Wagon....

What do you mean "lasts 300 feet of accent and 5-6 miles? Can you expnd on that a bit please? Is this with a fully charged battery? How are you charging the battery? Tell us about the gear(s) and PAS level(s) you are using most often.

I might be able to help on your settings, but to do that I would need to know where they are set now.

The "real" 750w motor is probably a good plan if you are running the Rad as pictured. Nice rig, but it's going to be hard on battery mileage when run like that. That's my thought anyway... -Al

Myself, I'd be interested in what the Specialized Levo would get loaded like you have that Wagon....

What do you mean "lasts 300 feet of accent and 5-6 miles? Can you expnd on that a bit please? Is this with a fully charged battery? How are you charging the battery? Tell us about the gear(s) and PAS level(s) you are using most often.

I might be able to help on your settings, but to do that I would need to know where they are set now.

The "real" 750w motor is probably a good plan if you are running the Rad as pictured. Nice rig, but it's going to be hard on battery mileage when run like that. That's my thought anyway... -Al
Hello and thank you very much for the reply.

"What do you mean "lasts 300 feet of accent and 5-6 miles? Can you expnd on that a bit please? Is this with a fully charged battery? How are you charging the battery? Tell us about the gear(s) and PAS level(s) you are using most often."

This means I climb no more than ~300 feet and I don't go further than 5 - 6 miles before the bike shuts off.....YES, it's fully charged each time. I charge the battery with a Rad Power Bike stock battery charger. It's a stock geared RP hub and PAS level is 5.

I used the recommended settings which were sold with the Bolton upgrade.

Will the 52V 16AH/ 17.5AH Lithium Battery (Samsung Cell) help?

These are the exact settings I use for the Bolton upgrade:

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 5.36.05 PM.png

Any insight is appreciated.

This means I climb no more than ~300 feet and I don't go further than 5 - 6 miles before the bike shuts off.....YES, it's fully charged each time.
What voltage is it displaying just before shutoff?

I will bet that you are drawing max power (1400-1500w) all the time. At that power draw you will get about 25minutes of draw before the battery drops to shutoff voltage. But... it's wasteful to send that much juice
through the motor. Try riding on PAS 3 which should be giving you about 550 watts, and don't touch that throttle. Yeah, you might accelerate a little slower, but it'll near triple your battery duration. Once you get that train rolling (on flat ground) you might even get away with PAS 2 to sustain speed. I frequently tow groceries home in a trailer (about 70 lb), and have to keep reminding myself to stay under 15mph (trailer limit).

One tip for faster motor response in PAS mode, change C1 to something higher, like 5 or 6 (7 is max). If you do go to a different motor, be aware that a direct drive motor will give you more top speed, but less torque at low end, which is what you want. So stick with geared hubs.

Will the 52V 16AH/ 17.5AH Lithium Battery (Samsung Cell) help?
In theory, yes, but I've heard that 52V batteries are bad news, consisting of a 48v machine welded pack with 4v of extra batteries manually welded on. Not very reliable. I would stick to batteries in multiples of 6v. The reason they go to 52v instead of 54v is that fully charged 54v battery will read well over 60v, which is the magic number for "high voltage" regulatory regime.

What is the total weight of 3 riders and the trailer weight? How much are you pedaling? Throttle only? Why are you asking if you have all the parts already ordered to repower it?

Agree that riding around on PAS 5 without contributing anything yourself is the absolute worst case scenario, especially if you are trying to go as fast as you can. To take that a step further, putting the bigger 750w motor in it will give you more power, but it's also going to use more power when riding on PAS 5. The reason most will install the bigger motor would be to increase the amount of reserve power you have available, to be used only on occasion.

The suggestion to try PAS 3 is a good one. The lower the PAS level that you can get away with while still getting the job done, the longer your battery is going to last. If you are trying to run 15 mph, try slowing to 10mph. You'll find your range will be increased by quite a bit.

Does "fully charged" mean that you are leaving the charger on overnight?

The bike "shuts off" when the battery voltage drops too low. If you are trying to run it wide open, the resulting huge amperage draw is something the battery is going to struggle with. It simply can't keep up under those conditions due to voltage "sag". If the draw/demand on it were reduced (as in lowered speed or increased pedaling effort), there would be less sag, and the battery would have a much easier time keeping up with what you are asking it to do.

Nothing jumping out at me regarding your settings, other than I doubt seriously you are running 29" tires.

I will bet that you are drawing max power (1400-1500w) all the time. At that power draw you will get about 25minutes of draw before the battery drops to shutoff voltage. But... it's wasteful to send that much juice
through the motor. Try riding on PAS 3 which should be giving you about 550 watts, and don't touch that throttle. Yeah, you might accelerate a little slower, but it'll near triple your battery duration. Once you get that train rolling (on flat ground) you might even get away with PAS 2 to sustain speed. I frequently tow groceries home in a trailer (about 70 lb), and have to keep reminding myself to stay under 15mph (trailer limit).

One tip for faster motor response in PAS mode, change C1 to something higher, like 5 or 6 (7 is max). If you do go to a different motor, be aware that a direct drive motor will give you more top speed, but less torque at low end, which is what you want. So stick with geared hubs.

In theory, yes, but I've heard that 52V batteries are bad news, consisting of a 48v machine welded pack with 4v of extra batteries manually welded on. Not very reliable. I would stick to batteries in multiples of 6v. The reason they go to 52v instead of 54v is that fully charged 54v battery will read well over 60v, which is the magic number for "high voltage" regulatory regime.
Thanks in advance for your time

I'll need to check this

I will bet that you are drawing max power (1400-1500w) all the time.

On the flats, the controller backs it down to 500 - 600w it's not constant at 1400w - 1500w. Ok noted - I'll try PAS @ 3 and not touch the throttle. Also, I'm peddling my a$$ off with trailer and kids. I don't just throttle the bike; that includes peddling in the flats too.

At that power draw you will get about 25minutes of draw before the battery drops to shutoff voltage. But... it's wasteful to send that much juice

Ok I'll try this

Dang this worries me.

What is the total weight of 3 riders and the trailer weight? How much are you pedaling? Throttle only? Why are you asking if you have all the parts already ordered to repower it?
What is the total weight of 3 riders and the trailer weight?

I guess 360lbs~

How much are you pedaling?

95% of the time and hard...

Why are you asking if you have all the parts already ordered to repower it?

Because I want to be clear on a solution. I see these heavy three wheel Ecargo bikes that haul stuff all over town. I would assume they are over 360 lbs? YesI'm aware they have much larger batteries (so do I need two?)

Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 6.37.07 AM.png

Last edited:

Just to clarify - my goal is more torque up hills and not top speed.

"If you do go to a different motor, be aware that a direct drive motor will give you more top speed, but less torque at low end, which is what you want. So stick with geared hubs."

Batteries do not improve torque. Batteries are like gasoline for your car. You need bigger motors, controllers, and lower gears for more torque. eCargo bikes like that are geared much slower for the torque they require. The Rad Burro has a motor that puts out 200N.m of torque.

Also - can I run two batterys of a different voltage? 48 and 52?
Not simultaneously, but I don't see why you couldn't swap them, assuming connector compatibility. Only problem is where do you keep the "off" battery when you're at the beach so it doesn't get stolen. Maybe mount them both and install an A/B switch on the battery cable.

I'll need to check this
I ask, because if it is down near or below 40v when it shuts off, then yes, your problem is you've emptied the battery. If it shuts off at a higher voltage, then the problem most likely is the battery shutting off due to high temperature.

Also, when the battery shuts off, does the display still work? If so, that's the bike controller cutting it off. If the display does not have power, then it's the battery's management system shutting off the battery.

Not simultaneously, but I don't see why you couldn't swap them, assuming connector compatibility. Only problem is where do you keep the "off" battery when you're at the beach so it doesn't get stolen. Maybe mount them both and install an A/B switch on the battery cable.

I ask, because if it is down near or below 40v when it shuts off, then yes, your problem is you've emptied the battery. If it shuts off at a higher voltage, then the problem most likely is the battery shutting off due to high temperature.

Also, when the battery shuts off, does the display still work? If so, that's the bike controller cutting it off. If the display does not have power, then it's the battery's management system shutting off the battery.
Thank you. I may keep the second battery then. I ride the bike on the sand and park it right in front of me so theft isn't a huge concern.

"install an A/B switch on the battery cable"

Do you have a link or image to one of these?

When the bike dies so does the display. I think I'll run two batteries and make a switch. Let me know if you can suggest a switch/buy link please.

I guess I'll just solder male and female anderson plugs.

Batteries do not improve torque. Batteries are like gasoline for your car. You need bigger motors, controllers, and lower gears for more torque. eCargo bikes like that are geared much slower for the torque they require. The Rad Burro has a motor that puts out 200N.m of torque.
Thank you, and exactly. Higher voltage, nor battery amphours, by themselves will do a thing to help motor torque. Its in the design of the motor itself and its gear ratios, and magnetic fields, and current fed into it.

But frankly, Ecargo bikes often don't need higher torque motors to pull heavy loads, are often set up with and optimized around direct drive motors, where you are dealing purely with magnetic fields and no internal gears, which substantially improves motor reliability and longevity, though not acceleration. They can haul a very heavy load though, and it has nothing to do with torque, but rather the current you can supply, at the given wheel rpm. You can pull amazingly heavy loads with a 40 nm torque rated motor, but its going to take a while, or more of your effort (if you want to go faster) to get up to speed. Won't hurt the motor one bit, but you will suck lot of current. usually OEMS will really jack up the controller amperage with the direct drive motors. Grin tech specializes in this area. The direct drives will be largely 'bullet proof' in a heavy load situation.

Now if you want BOTH acceleration and pulling a heavy load, You'd want two hub motors. (or preferably a single mid drive) Geared hub motors even with 70 to 90 nm of torque are going to present a lot of reliability and operational issues with heavy loads at lower speeds (say when you are starting out and staying below 8 mph), and sooner than you want you will shred the gear teeth, especially if you get stuck in the wrong gear on a hill, and force the motor into doing nearly all the work, at a less than ideal speed. If your speed is too low with an internally geared hub motor, you will also very likely, and rather quickly burn up your controller. The amp draw by the motor will want go through the roof, and internal controller current limiters dont like that sort of situation either.

Many cargo ebikes are using mid drives now, and with torque sensing it substantially moderates the instantaneous amp draw, and with mid drives they are already spinning at far higher rpms than hub drives, (a hub drive which is stuck to only 200 to 300 rpm, which is your rear wheel RPM, and its obviously much lower rpm when you are first starting out from a dead stop- and imagine starting out from a dead stop with a heavy load. Just not good at all for a internal geared hub drive.).

However, A Bosch mid drive motor (choose your favorite mid drive brand as I am just using their name for example) is spinning at a ratio of 35 to 1 of your crank cadence, and peak torque is going to occur over 3000 RPM, enabled and leveraged by its internal gears that are between the motor and your crank arm. Don't confuse cadence RPM with the motor RPM. You want that high rpm, as that is creating the magnetic field you need to get the torque and a decent amount of acceleration throughout the power/rpm curve.

Heres a visualization of the guts of a Bosch, that might help you to see how they get the 35 to 1 ratio.

FWBZLCRW4NUYYGEZG5GYE4OF6Q.jpg

Whereas a geared internal hub motor is going to typically have a 5 to 1 ratio. So its going to need much higher current, usually helped by higher voltage (often 48 volts if its at least a 500 watt motor), to achieve similar torque levels as the mid drive. Its tough to reach 90 nm with an internally geared hub drive, so usually you will see them in the 40 nm to 65 nm range. With 500 watts, and 48 volts, a 65 NM hub drive motor is going to accelerate very nicely with the average weighted single rider.

But I would not want to use that geared hub motor for heavy cargo loads, as again (as mentioned above) you will run the risk of tearing up the internal planetary gears (teeth) rather sooner than you'd want. (that won't have the same risk of happening with a mid drive though, because its spinning at rather high rpms already even at low bike speeds)

Choose the RIGHT motor type for your application, and you will be a much 'happier ebike camper.' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back