Help please choosing

net200777

I've been studying bikes for some time the past two years. I was one of those ones that scoffed at spending even a couple of thousand on electric bike let alone a normal bike.

These days I've come to appreciate quality but also knowing how to make a dollar stretch even still.

I'm torn in choosing. So let's take the Pesu for example. It's light weight, around 48 I think. It's got some good torque. Top speed 28. Looks good. Only drawback is no throttle what if you break a chain? Or what if you just want throttle? But for the price of 1800$ wow.. and that tittium motor. 100nm torque

When I look at a bike like the specialized Turbo 4000$ ugh. Not sure if that one has a throttle or not either.

Now there's always the do-it-yourself approach with the bafang 1000w or 750 watt and you can have a throttle but the drawback is you get a heavy bike that doesn't look like a normal bike.. and it really doesn't look nice at all.

The ultimate approach would be to have a bike that looks less like an electric bike, lightweight mountain bike. Speed closer to 30 than 20. High torque. Premium components without having to shell out 4000 and beyond.

If I could just have a throttle on the Pesu, I think that would be cool. Although I've never had an electric bike so I don't know what to expect in terms of torque and
power. Mostly riding around in the city but when hitting the trails in Mountain would like to have another torque to get up the mountain with a nice work out. BTW I weigh in at 275. Any help would be appreciated.

Most ebikes, set at the highest assist level, are about the same setting as a wide open throttle. How often have you broken a chain in the past? I have 4600 miles on my eBikes, never had a chain break. Who doesn't want a supreme bike for $2000, but it's not going to happen. I have a cheap Sondors eBike, I have two expensive Haibike eBikes, the Sondors now gets used for only winter riding in snow and slush. The Haibikes are so much more pleasurable. Look for a new discounted old model year bike. Easy way to say $1500. That's what I did. Got two Class III Haibikes for $5600. The 2018 Specialized Turbo Vado and Como have integrated batteries and motors. Most people will have no idea you have assist. Beautiful designs as well!
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 6.53.44 PM.png

I've been looking into haibikes. Do those have throttle? Which one is going to be around 30 mph with the most power for hills? How does it compare to Pesu?

I've been looking into haibikes. Do those have throttle? Which one is going to be around 30 mph with the most power for hills? How does it compare to Pesu?
No throttles on Haibike. In 2016 they had an "S" designation in the model. Now you can search for speed pedelec on the website. Nothing gets to 30, the max is 28mph. The CX version of the Bosch has a little more torque than the Performance model, but only like 5 N.m difference. Usually the mountain bikes are set for more torque. Unless you are climbing steep single trails in the woods, either will work fine. I have the Performance motors.

None of the Haibikes will have a throttle and you won't want one when you have a good e-bike with a solid mid-drive motor like the Bosch or Yamaha. Speaking of deals, make sure you check out our deals page and our sale going on right now on Haibikes Http://www.motostrano.com

Most of the Haibikes max out at 20MPH. If you need a higher speed look at the S models. If you need help call 650-918-6259 we ship nationwide.

joe

Regarding "Pesu". have you ridden it? Can you ride it? If it's a kickstarter project as it seems, Id be highly suspect unless you are into experimenting. If what you want to do is go and ride a reliable ebike, then get something that is in production and carried by e-bike stores (not just online shops) nationwide. We, for instance, though we sell online, have 2 brick mortar stores where the product and customer interface daily.

Thank you very much for the info. Yes I have not ridden the Pesu it just sounded nice on paper. Perhaps the haibike might be what I'm looking for.. I'm assuming all the haibikes come with the same size battery. Seems like things are moving in the right direction for ebikes in general. I'm really digging the hidden batteries look. Some of these bikes look like regular bikes.

Haibikes can be equipped either 4 different batteries and 2 different drive systems, Bosch or Yamaha, 400W or 500W battery.

I've been studying bikes for some time the past two years. I was one of those ones that scoffed at spending even a couple of thousand on electric bike let alone a normal bike.

These days I've come to appreciate quality but also knowing how to make a dollar stretch even still.

I'm torn in choosing. So let's take the Pesu for example. It's light weight, around 48 I think. It's got some good torque. Top speed 28. Looks good. Only drawback is no throttle what if you break a chain? Or what if you just want throttle? But for the price of 1800$ wow.. and that tittium motor. 100nm torque

When I look at a bike like the specialized Turbo 4000$ ugh. Not sure if that one has a throttle or not either.

Now there's always the do-it-yourself approach with the bafang 1000w or 750 watt and you can have a throttle but the drawback is you get a heavy bike that doesn't look like a normal bike.. and it really doesn't look nice at all.

The ultimate approach would be to have a bike that looks less like an electric bike, lightweight mountain bike. Speed closer to 30 than 20. High torque. Premium components without having to shell out 4000 and beyond.

If I could just have a throttle on the Pesu, I think that would be cool. Although I've never had an electric bike so I don't know what to expect in terms of torque and
power. Mostly riding around in the city but when hitting the trails in Mountain would like to have another torque to get up the mountain with a nice work out. BTW I weigh in at 275. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,
What bike to buy ??? There's such a range and choice. This past July I purchased a Trek XM700+ and have not regretted it one bit. I love the bike and
would do it all over again in a second. I'd been riding a Trex 7.7 FX carbon touring bike.... I had never ridden an e-Bike...didn't really know much about them, but was
interested... My LBS had a Trek XM700+ for demo. I took it out for 15 minutes and there was no turning back. I bought one. For me the bike is just so much fun.

Nearly all of my riding is paved trails and or very isolated quiet streets. The Trek XM700+ is not great on gravel/stone
trails or at least I don't feel secure on it, I really enjoy the entire experience of riding on rails to trails gravel /stone dust trails so I bought a Trek Powerfly7 MTN
bike. The Powerfly7 is fantastic, incredibly stable, and again like the XM700+ just the greatest to ride.

A friend of mine has a Raleigh with a throttle, he let me take it for a 'spin'. It was fast ( perhaps a bit too fast) , but after riding it I prefer
my Trek's with the Bosch motor system pedal assist. The Bosch system is silky smooth shifting etc....Bottom line. All these e-Bikes bikes are personal
preference and what's most important to you the rider. What Trek has built into their bikes is important to me. I didn't know that until I took my
15 test ride : ) ...I'm not saying Trek is the 'only game in town' I'm sure there are other equally good e-Bikes out there.

I hope my rambling was some help,

John from CT

Back