help picking out the right ebike for a senior

leslie Ann

I just purchased a storybike and it is not going to work so must return. It is 20" which does not allow me to put my feet down without being on my toes. Also the thinner tires are not as stable as a little wider. I am 5'4" and 66 yrs. old. What I liked about this ebike is it has hand bars that can be adjusted like a cruiser so you can sit up right. I am now looking for your help as there are so many ebikes out there. My needs and ideals are a wider tire for stability, a step thru, lightest weight as possible, 16" height ideal so I can put feet down, handle bars that allow one to sit up straight and a full throttle for the big hills. Am I asking for an ebike that does not exist?

The Blix Vika+ has 15.75” stand over height, weighs 49lb, and has a throttle. The tires are 1.75”x20” Kenda’s, maybe you could ask Blix if the rims would take something wider like Schwalbe big apple 2.15”x20” tires.

https://electricbikereview.com/blix/vika-plus/

Last edited:
Bikes come in different frame sizes for different size people. The nominal dimension is between the handlebar stem and the seatpost, typically 18", 20" and 22". I suggest you read the reviews on the main site and focus your shopping on the bikes that have the shorter dimension frames. 18" bikes tend to fit me, I'm 68" tall and also age 68. Cort also publishes a "step over height" which has something to do with whether one can touch the ground from the seat.
The previous two posters have tried to direct you into a 20" wheel bike. While these have excellent stepover height, they ride rather roughly IMHO plowing through potholes and over speed bumps. Although i have short legs, 28" pant inseam, I prefer a 26" wheel to smooth out the bumps. I also prefer 2.1" tire cross section, or 55 mm. Fatter tires are quite expensive, difficult to change on the road, and a magnet for thieves since fat tire (3" up) bikes are popular now. The 2.1" Kenda tires are smooth enough for me, and the ones with knobs resist puncture well enough as long as the knobs are still tall enough. One city tires on the bodaboda went flat after 700 miles, but the knobby kendas I replace them with are over 2000 miles already. I can flip the bike over & change a tube in under an hour.
The bike left in my avatar achieves those goals, easy to get on & off at stops, plus a decent ride: a yubabikes bodaboda. Unfortunately you can't buy it with electrical drive anymore. I e-converted mine from a human powered bike by installing a $189 1000 W power wheel, controller, and throttle, and a $730 17 AH battery. I prefer the generic 48 v battery & 135 mm dropout power wheel, as those parts will always be available for the rest of my life time anyway. I also prefer hub drives as being capable of being pedaled even with the power off. My bike weighed 63 lb before I put the motor battery and racks on it.
Major vendors that probably won't go broke in the next 3 years are juiced, pedego, magnum, raleigh, trek, rad. Cort doesn't review trek. I don't like the 7 speed derailleurs on rad and other bargain brands, I've broken a shimano 6 speed axle at my terrific weight of 170 lb. Shimano 8 speed has thicker axles and probably better steel.
Happy shopping. I have to say, shops tend to not stock bikes in the smaller frame sizes. I had to buy the bike left over the internet, based on the dimensions. The drop frame is the smaller one, for people 63" tall and up. I have had trouble lifting my foot over a straight bar at least since age 63. One can find 18" frame bikes in discount stores made up for children. Unfortunately they have kiddie grade components like rim brakes and 7 speed thumb shifters. One can try the frame on for size, perhaps, without buying it.
For example, reviewed today, the specialized turbo como step through frame https://electricbikereview.com/specialized/turbo-como-4-0/
comes in a 15" frame size and weighs 49 lb. Minimum saddle height is only shown for the 19" frame in the review.

Last edited:
Hi leslie Ann,
This one might be exactly what you are looking for. I just posted the review a couple of days ago in the RAD Power Bikes forum.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/rpb-radmini-step-thru-cycle-or-scoot.28024/

Good Luck!
Thanks so much for your reply! I am checking it out but could not find a video review. 68lbs seems like a lot of bike for me to handle. Isn't this more for dirt roads with the very wide tires?
thanks so much once again for helping me on my journey as I continue. Like that there are local shops I can check out. Afraid to buy on line again. Been asking storybikes to respond to my request to return for 3 days but no response...hummmm! Now a couple days past the 2 week 100% return trial.
Leslie

The Blix Vika+ has 15.75” stand over height, weighs 49lb, and has a throttle. The tires are 1.75”x20” Kenda’s, maybe you could ask Blix if the rims would take something wider like Schwalbe big apple 2.15”x20” tires.

https://electricbikereview.com/blix/vika-plus/
This bike looks pretty ideal. I did watch video where he claimed it was a little wobbly. Maybe because it is a fold up which I don't need but looks really cool. I will check out as they have a should in Santa Cruz only an hr. away!! Maybe see if the rim will take a wider tire...great idea. Thanks so much as I continue my journey...Leslie

Bikes come in different frame sizes for different size people. The nominal dimension is between the handlebar stem and the seatpost, typically 18", 20" and 22". I suggest you read the reviews on the main site and focus your shopping on the bikes that have the shorter dimension frames. 18" bikes tend to fit me, I'm 68" tall and also age 68. Cort also publishes a "step over height" which has something to do with whether one can touch the ground from the seat.
The prevopis two posters have tried to direct you into a 20" wheel bike. While these have excellent stepover height, they ride rather roughly IMHO plowing through potholes and over speed bumps. Although i have short legs, 28" pant inseam, I prefer a 26" wheel to smooth out the bumps. I also prefer 2.1" tire cross section, or 55 mm. Fatter tires are quite expensive, difficult to change on the road, and a magnet for thieves since fat tire (3" up) bikes are popular now. The 2.1" Kenda tires are smooth enough for me, and the ones with knobs resist puncture well enough as long as the knobs are still tall enough. One city tires on the bodaboda went flat after 700 miles, but the knobby kendas I replace them with are over 2000 miles already. I can flip the bike over & change a tube in under an hour.
The bike left in my avatar achieves those goals, easy to get on & off at stops, plus a decent ride: a yubabikes bodaboda. Unfortunately you can't buy it with electrical drive anymore. I e-converted mine from a human powered bike by installing a $189 1000 W power wheel, controller, and throttle, and a $730 17 AH battery. I prefer the generic 48 v battery & 135 mm dropout power wheel, as those parts will always be available for the rest of my life time anyway. I also prefer hub drives as being capable of being pedaled even with the power off. My bike weighed 63 lb before I put the motor battery and racks on it.
Major vendors that probably won't go broke in the next 3 years are juiced, pedego, magnum, raleigh, trek, rad. Cort doesn't review trek. I don't like the 7 speed derailleurs on rad and other bargain brands, I've broken a shimano 6 speed axle at my terrific weight of 170 lb. Shimano 8 speed has thicker axles and probably better steel.
Happy shopping. I have to say, shops tend to not stock bikes in the smaller frame sizes. I had to buy the bike left over the internet, based on the dimensions. The drop frame is the smaller one, for people 63" tall and up. I have had trouble lifting my foot over a straight bar at least since age 63. One can find 18" frame bikes in discount stores made up for children. Unfortunately they have kiddie grade components like rim brakes and 7 speed thumb shifters. One can try the frame on for size, perhaps, without buying it. I did get chased off from stepping over a frame at a LBS, who as a result has sold me nothing, not even tires.

Thank you for your thorough information as I continue my journey. There is so much to consider. I did not know the smaller tires ride rougher...that isn't good.
leslie

This your bike, Leslie? If that was mine, and it wasn't brand new, I'd cut the seat post tube down 2", and put the locking collar back on. That's kind of drastic though.

I hope you can get this bike returned, although it looks like a very nice bike to me. You should be able to to find a shorter step thru. It doesn't help that it has 700cc tires.

My wife has the same wants. She needs to get her feet down. We ended up going to 20 " wheels.

storybike.jpg

Thank you for your thorough information as I continue my journey. There is so much to consider. I did not know the smaller tires ride rougher...that isn't good.
leslie
This is a wonderful idea as yes this is my beautiful new 2 week old bike in white. I would not mind removing the fenders and going with 20" wheels...is this possible or no? If I have the seat any lower my knees will really be up high when peddling, right? As it is now I can not totally stretch my leg fully when coasting. Bike repair guy that assembled said it would be better if I raised the seat another 1/2" for my legs. I really feel stuck and "Oprah's 2018 Favorite Things" company is not responding to my return request. I can guarantee she never road this bike as she isn't much taller then me. Thanks again most helpful!

Hi leslie Ann,
Here is the review and video from EBR that provides a lot more info and specs for the bike.

https://electricbikereview.com/rad-power-bikes/radmini-step-thru/

The bike wears its 68 pounds well and doesn't seem that heavy. My Rover weighs a little less but being taller seems heavier and harder to move around. The tires are excellent and handle all sorts of street and trail riding. I'm 73 and have really taken a liking to this model. RAD Power Bikes has an excellent reputation for followup support, and they are easy to find. Here is the link to the RAD Power Bikes website and the page for the RADMini.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-step-thru

In any case, I hope you can find the one that is suitable.
Happy Trails...

This is a wonderful idea as yes this is my beautiful new 2 week old bike in white. I would not mind removing the fenders and going with 20" wheels...is this possible or no? If I have the seat any lower my knees will really be up high when peddling, right? As it is now I can not totally stretch my leg fully when coasting. Bike repair guy that assembled said it would be better if I raised the seat another 1/2" for my legs. I really feel stuck and "Oprah's 2018 Favorite Things" company is not responding to my return request. I can guarantee she never road this bike as she isn't much taller then me. Thanks again most helpful!

Remove the rear wheel and measure the width between the inside of the dropouts using a ruler or calipers and post the width here, or ask the mechanic at your bike shop. Assuming it’s a standard width, because you have disk brakes you should be able to swap out the wheels for 26” and possibly 24” but probably not 20” because each size you go smaller you also lower the bottom bracket and reduce the distance between the pedal and the ground. You appear to have a hub motor ebike so you may have to get the motor hub relaced into a smaller rim, ask storybikes what length Spokes are required for 26, 24, and 20 wheel size, ask them if the display or controller can be reprogrammed for smaller wheel size, and ask what length crank arms are currently fitted.

Last edited:
Actually, she has her 20" wheels in a 20" folding bike frame, Leslie. She is 1/2-1" taller than you.

As far as tires, you can put wider ones on the Storybike. That will raise its height a little. That's less than $100. You can have the shop find you some longer pedal arms to give your knees more extension. I find that part doesn't have to be true with ebikes as we don't necessarily need to extend the knees for leverage.

Downsizing your wheels to 26" saves about an inch, and a tech will have to take apart the rear wheel to respoke the motor into a smaller rim. They won't like that, but I was an total amateur and I did it. You're probably looking at $150 for a new front wheel/tire. Let's say $150 labor on the rear, plus $100 for rim/spokes/tire. You will also have the slight probability of catching the pedal on the grounds when you turn. I don't like this because you bought the bike because it looks great, and smaller wheels will detract.

Best to find a frame that fits. ALl the above expense costs more than shipping it back on your own dime. You can look for a pedal forward design.

You might like an Electra Townie, which is designed to be able to put feet flat on the ground. They have something called "Flat Foot" technology and have patented their "crank-forward" design.

I haven't tried one myself.

Pedego also markets to seniors, and has lots of experience in fitting seniors to bikes. If you have a shop near you, you can try bikes. We had specific needs in our family and they set up a bike in advance for that family member to try. BTW, I have no connection to Pedego except as a happy customer.

I just purchased a storybike and it is not going to work so must return. It is 20" which does not allow me to put my feet down without being on my toes. Also the thinner tires are not as stable as a little wider. I am 5'4" and 66 yrs. old. What I liked about this ebike is it has hand bars that can be adjusted like a cruiser so you can sit up right. I am now looking for your help as there are so many ebikes out there. My needs and ideals are a wider tire for stability, a step thru, lightest weight as possible, 16" height ideal so I can put feet down, handle bars that allow one to sit up straight and a full throttle for the big hills. Am I asking for an ebike that does not exist?
Check out these threads for some ideas
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/most-rigid-step-thru-frame.27731/

You might like an Electra Townie, which is designed to be able to put feet flat on the ground. They have something called "Flat Foot" technology and have patented their "crank-forward" design.

I haven't tried one myself.

Pedego also markets to seniors, and has lots of experience in fitting seniors to bikes. If you have a shop near you, you can try bikes. We had specific needs in our family and they set up a bike in advance for that family member to try. BTW, I have no connection to Pedego except as a happy customer.

Great idea! Thank you so much!

I am going to test drive the Electra Townie and the Blix Sol. I am hoping the Sol works out as it is $1000 less. It is important to be able to sit up straight and not bend back like riding a cruiser. Definitely would like the throttle feature for big hills and a tire maybe 2.2" for a smoothly ride. Does anyone have any other suggestions as I narrow down my search to maybe a 3rd bike? I don't want to go over 50lbs as the Storybike that I returned was a perfect 39lbs but too much bike for me. Thanks to all for helping me out as I don't want to make another mistake.
The security of putting my feet down is huge! The security is important as I am still working and prefer to retire before going on disability!!

The previous two posters have tried to direct you into a 20" wheel bike. While these have excellent stepover height, they ride rather roughly IMHO plowing through potholes and over speed bumps. Although i have short legs, 28" pant inseam, I prefer a 26" wheel to smooth out the bumps. I also prefer 2.1" tire cross section, or 55 mm. Fatter tires are quite expensive, difficult to change on the road, and a magnet for thieves since fat tire (3" up) bikes are popular now. The 2.1" Kenda tires are smooth enough for me, and the ones with knobs resist puncture well enough as long as the knobs are still tall enough. One city tires on the bodaboda went flat after 700 miles, but the knobby kendas I replace them with are over 2000 miles already. I can flip the bike over & change a tube in under an hour.
Happy shopping. I have to say, shops tend to not stock bikes in the smaller frame sizes. I had to buy the bike left over the internet, based on the dimensions. The drop frame is the smaller one, for people 63" tall and up. I have had trouble lifting my foot over a straight bar at least since age 63. One can find 18" frame bikes in discount stores made up for children. Unfortunately they have kiddie grade components like rim brakes and 7 speed thumb shifters. One can try the frame on for size, perhaps, without buying it.
For example, reviewed today, the specialized turbo como step through frame https://electricbikereview.com/specialized/turbo-como-4-0/
comes in a 15" frame size and weighs 49 lb. Minimum saddle height is only shown for the 19" frame in the review.

“Cort doesn't review trek.” Follow up; Court has reviews for both the Trek Verve Plus and Trek Dual Sport. I was looking at Trek because they are one of the few manufacturers that make small and extra small frames.

I hope it goes well!
I am going to test drive the Electra Townie and the Blix Sol. I am hoping the Sol works out as it is $1000 less. It is important to be able to sit up straight and not bend back like riding a cruiser. Definitely would like the throttle feature for big hills and a tire maybe 2.2" for a smoothly ride. Does anyone have any other suggestions as I narrow down my search to maybe a 3rd bike? I don't want to go over 50lbs as the Storybike that I returned was a perfect 39lbs but too much bike for me. Thanks to all for helping me out as I don't want to make another mistake.
The security of putting my feet down is huge! The security is important as I am still working and prefer to retire before going on disability!!

My friend has a Townie, not electric, and absolutely loves it. She too needs the stability of touching the ground at a stop. I have no specific info on the electric model. It might be on the heavier side but unless you haul it that should not be a problem.
Finding an ebike under 50 lbs might be a challenge. They exist but it will take some searching.

Looking forward to a photo of what you find!

Back