What's an "SUV" ebike?

Here's a couple on a quick google search...

Interesting. Both are hardtail mid-drives with hybid tires and lower than usual gearing for an ebike. Motor location and quality differences aside, they're configured a lot like my modified bike.

no this is the bike version of the SUV.

View attachment 177827

@fooferdoggie
I think that you should put your wife up front so that you can keep an eye on her to make sure she's helping.
Girls like to lie and cheat yaknow. 😂

BR-BB-Image-Logo-6-1358530262-1.jpg

If you take those knobbie tires around a tight corner on asphalt, they will slide out from under you.

A street type tire with knobs on the sidewall is much better suited to all terrain and Way More efficient on the pavement and hardback.

I think something like the Schwalbe Hurricane is a good compromise,..

View attachment 177825
I agree, JW tires are very sketchy on asphalt. You best not be doing any spirited riding.

I agree, JW tires are very sketchy on asphalt. You best not be doing any spirited riding.

AND,..
Taking street tires off road is a lot safer and easier than taking off road tires on the pavement.

You just need to go slower and be careful in the dirt with a street tire.

I had a 1982 Honda XR200R that wasn't street legal.
All it needed to be street legal was to install a horn and replace the dirt tires with trail tires.

Dirt tires on an ebike is stupid.
Ebikes simply don't have enough power to take advantage of huge knobbie tires.
I used to shoot 30 foot rooster tails with my dirt bike.
My ebike gets stuck in two inches of mud.

Sure knobbies would help, but without enough power they are useless.

And on the pavement they are Dangerous !!

If you want to feel the difference in efficiency for yourself, ride a regular bicycle with knobby tires then swap the tires for smooth street type tires.

The difference is more than noticeable.

Why waste all that energy pushing and pulling slippery knobs when the power output is so limited by batteries and our own human lack of power.

It is true however that if you are a hard core down hill dirt racer, and you don't have to pedal your ebike back up the mountain, then big knobs help with grip while cornering and braking, but most of us don't ride like that, and I'm too old for that.

Blue Mountain resort in Collingwood Ontario offers a ski lift for bicycles to get to the top of the hill.

If that's your speed and you want to spend the money on lift tickets, then ditch the ebike and get a hard-core downhill mountain bike with big powerful knobby tires

98% of riders don't ride like that.

wife is blind so I may not live long.

Yeah, I know.
Don't give her the steering wheel.

She just holds on and pedals.
And you get to keep an eye on her to make sure she's pedaling. 😂

Screenshot_20240621-200431_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Weight over the front wheel kinda makes sense to me.
You'll have heavy but stable steering.

I'm sure wifey would be way more comfortable in that riding position too.
You'll get a lot more use out of her before she fades and needs a recharge. 😂

Last edited:
Yeah, I know.
Don't give her the steering wheel.

She just holds on and pedals.
And you get to keep an eye on her to make sure she's pedaling. 😂

View attachment 177836

Weight over the front wheel kinda makes sense to me.
You'll have heavy but stable steering.
I cant imagine going offroad with her hanging out like that and I can't see the path well enough. but it will be soft landing on her.

I think @Stefan Mikes should stop by and appraise your bike, as he is most likely to use this term.

If I had to guess, I'd say it means heavy, seemingly overbuilt, ponderous. See R&M. Some might assume that the SUV is an off-roader, but in my experience, most SUVs stay on paved roads! Again, see R&M.
I think you need to have a chat with my Riese and Muller SuperCharger then because, oh no, it is heading off on Monday on a 16-day 1,200-kilometre bikepacking ride, of which at least 65% is off the bitumen. It would be more off bitumen if the routing options made it possible.

This, BTW, is why it was brought.

The next planned shorter overnight is the Captain Fawcett Trail. Depending on the time of year, it will be ridden on either the Supercharger 2 or my Salsa Mukluk (fat bike), with my preference for the Supercharger.

Does this make it an SUV? Maybe, given that Captain Fawcett is a 4WD track :)

How's that spirited?
If it were... you'd be tasting pavement.
Do you understand what intervals are? If you think that they are not 'spirited', you need to come for a ride with me.

No, I haven't 'tasted the pavement' well, at least whilst doing intervals, so I guess my riding skills are appropriate, and/or the surface was not wet and/or the corners were not so tight as to be of concern.

Context matters ...

Here's a list of 70 Bosch-equipped "SUV" ebikes compiled by Bosch.

Some are outright full-suspension eMTBs. Some look a lot like commuters to me. But if I delved into their specs, these might well turn out to have some off-roady features not evident in the thumbnails.

Beginning to think that "SUV" doesn't mean much beyond "not a road bike, cruiser, or pavement-only commuter".

Do you understand what intervals are?
Yes - not impressed.
If you think that they are not 'spirited', you need to come for a ride with me.

No, I haven't 'tasted the pavement' well, at least whilst doing intervals, so I guess my riding skills are appropriate, and/or the surface was not wet and/or the corners were not so tight as to be of concern.
Exactly
Context matters ...
Then maybe you should re_read what I was replying to.

Last edited:
Beginning to think that "SUV" doesn't mean much beyond "not a road bike, cruiser, or pavement-only commuter".
There are Cross Country, Trail, All Mountain/Enduro, and Downhill bikes, too (MTB). People who bought e-MTBs but spend a lion's share of their riding time on the pavement, soon realise how bad their decision had been. MTBs are totally unequipped, and even hard to equip. Even a kickstand cannot be installed on a proper MTB! MTBs can really 'breathe' only off-road.

The number of people who are ready to spend a lot on an all-around electrically assisted "not quite MTB" and use it for pavement, grocery shopping, towing a trailer, etc. is big enough for the industry to create a new e-bike type. Especially, as SUV e-bikes belong to one of the most expensive e-bike categories.

I even do not mention Gravel e-bikes, as the motto there is: 'lightweight but fast'.

Last edited:
I refer to my bike as SUV...
You have converted a Trail e-MTB into a SUV e-bike ;) Please read my post before :)
I did the same to my Giant Trance E+ until I gave it to a proper person :)

For some funny reason I cannot spot a kickstand on your e-bike Dave? :) Not a SUV e-bike until you install one :D

Does this make it an SUV?
Your Supercharger is a 100% SUV e-bike, and you use it for its very purpose! We had David Berry as a prolific Australian user on EBR before you came, and he used to ride for 100-160 km every single day on his R&M Homage Rohloff in Brisbane area.

Besides, I perceive JWs as excellent tyres, and even created a dedicated thread on these Fora in the past.

Andrew, do not go in a dispute with the man. He "knows it better" :)
My brother got my Trance E+ with JWs, and he rides them in the warm season. The only situation he had to reconsider JWs was a very cold wet day when Jacek slipped on a polished plate surface by the Warsaw Mermaid. Now he uses JWs in the warm season, JW 365 during the cold season, and Ice Spiker Pro on the ice :)

1719047887258.png

My brother showing to me how you should ride an e-MTB the first time I bought it :)

Last edited:
I upgraded from a 2016 Radrover to a full suspension Himiway Cobra Pro for improved off road capabilities. The 400lbs max weight, 20Ah battery, hydraulic brakes, and 1000w/160Nm M620 mid-drive were a big bonus over my Radrover (275lbs max weight, 11.4Ah, cable brakes, 750w/80Nm rear hub).

Himiway.jpg

Back