Help me Choose a versatile E-Bike

alpinegeek

Region
Europe
Hi, I was thinking about getting an E-Bike mostly to go to school or to my friends without having to take the bus, so I think I will mostly be riding on normal roads but I think I will start riding off-roads to but not on crazy mountain trails with jumps and everithink, just to have some fun offroad so this will be my criteria:

-An E-Bike between 3000 and 5000 dollars/euros
-A Versatile One so I can ride all kinds of roads
-Something Reliable that will hold at least 2-3 years
-Hardtail
-A bike that works on the bosch smart equiped with the Kiox 300 (not obligatory but it's way better if it has it)

I've found 2 e-bikes that I think follow my criteria:

-Specialized Turbo Tero 4.0
-Cube Reaction Hybrid SL 750

So, are these right choices or do you have other ones that follow my criteria ?

I like the specialized Turbo Tero. Great bike for the money. I would definitely push for the 5.0 if its in your budget. We have had three Specialized (currently 2 now). The Como, Turbo Levo Comp and the Turbo SL. All have been great bikes.

I like the specialized Turbo Tero. Great bike for the money. I would definitely push for the 5.0 if its in your budget. We have had three Specialized (currently 2 now). The Como, Turbo Levo Comp and the Turbo SL. All have been great bikes.
Thanks for the reply, I don't have the budget for the 5.0 but do you have any other e-bike recomendations with the bosch smart system ? and what do you think about the cube reaction hybrid ?

This may help broaden your selection
The search uses eMTB but you can change the "eBike type" to explore other types
You can also activate the smart system option in the search criterias

Last edited:
This may help broaden your selection
The search uses eMTB but you can change the "eBike type" to explore other types
You can also activate the smart system option in the search criterias
Thx

Alpine: Take the Tero 4.0 EQ and never look back. I cannot understand why you want a Bosch E-Bike so badly... What benefits do you expect from a Bosch Smart System E-Bike?

Alpine: Take the Tero 4.0 EQ and never look back. I cannot understand why you want a Bosch E-Bike so badly... What benefits do you expect from a Bosch Smart System E-Bike?
I’m new to the e bikes and since the Bosch system is so popular I guess that it will be easier to get it fixed If I have a problem with the motor. But I’ve seen many reviews of the Tero and everybody finds them incredible compared to the Bosch system, do you know why?

Last edited:
Also most of the Bosch e bikes are cheaper and are easier to find in retail in the country where I am (Switzerland)

I’m new to the e bikes and since the Bosch system is so popular I guess that it will be easier to get it fixed If I have a problem with the motor. But I’ve seen many reviews of the Tero and everybody finds them incredible compared to the Bosch system, do you know why?
Also most of the Bosch e bikes are cheaper and are easier to find in retail in the country where I am (Switzerland)
That was the older Bosch E-Bike system that was incredibly popular, and the e-bikes with the older system are cheaper. Bosch has released the Smart System when Specialized were ready with all e-bike models based on the new Mastermind. The release of the Bosch Smart System hit badly the e-bike manufacturers. The older line could not be actually developed anymore (who would like to buy an e-bike with the older system?!) and the manufacturers had to design brand new e-bikes to accomodate the Smart System. The Smart System e-bikes are not cheap, and only a few of e-bike manufacturers could embrace the new system and only on a limited number of new models.

In case your Smart System e-bike breaks, your e-bike manufacturer must negotiate the warranty with Bosch E-Bikes. It is Bosch that owns the motor, batteries, the system, and displays.

Now, Specialized owns their systems. The Mastermind system is based on the motors that are either exclusive to Specialized, or are improved in close cooperation with Specialized. Specialized owns the system, batteries, displays. Limited number of motor/battery/system/displays is used throughout all lines of Specialized e-bikes, making everything easier. Specialized does not need to discuss warranty issues with any other party.

Specialized e-bikes are served by a single smartphone application: the Mission Control. All Specialized Turbo e-bikes are LEV ANT+ compatible, so you can fully use Garmin Edge or Wahoo Roam GPS computers connected to your Turbo e-bike. Now, Bosch is a closed ecosystem that does not have as good connectivity as Specialized.

Specialized has been a leading road bike and MTB brand for so many years. They know their bikes and e-bikes. Which cannot be said about many other brands. And... the Specialized warranty is one of the best in the market.

thank you so much for this very complete answer, I really appreciate that you took your time to write a so detailed reply, this helped me a lot :)

Back