Matt Maynor

I'm very new to this forum but I'm very interested in purchasing an Ebike. However, the more I read the more confused I get. After a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that I want:

1) Mid Drive Motor
2) Step Through Frame
3) Pedal Assist, with throttle if possible.
4) Range of 50 miles or more.

Budget: Prefer to stay around $2,500 but willing to go up to $4,500 if I can get extended mileage (more than 50, closer to 100).

Profile: 50+ rider, father of three kids (at home), 6', 4", 325 lbs, former century rider, currently going through chemotherapy treatments for leukemia so my carbon frame bike sits in the corner. I like to ride with my daughters, but I have trouble keeping up with them or getting distance on our rides before I have to head back. I would like a bike that would allow me some range to build up to 50+ mile rides again. My rides are mostly flat, interspersed with some fairly high bridges.

Locally we have Kalkhoff (not stocking, but service), Motive, Velec, Pedego, Prodeco Tech all are within 45 minutes.

Within 3 hours there are Haibike, Stromer, Easy Motion and Scott.

I really want a reliable bike, my health really prevents me from being able to do much more than routine maintenance. I have ridden the Velec (step through, not sure what model) and really like it but concerned about reliability, also rode the Motiv Stout, which was a beast but not a step through so harder for me to get one and off. I have not tried a Kalkhoff because my LBS only special orders them and does not stock them.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

I'm very new to this forum but I'm very interested in purchasing an Ebike. However, the more I read the more confused I get. After a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that I want:

1) Mid Drive Motor
2) Step Through Frame
3) Pedal Assist, with throttle if possible.
4) Range of 50 miles or more.

Budget: Prefer to stay around $2,500 but willing to go up to $4,500 if I can get extended mileage (more than 50, closer to 100).

Profile: 50+ rider, father of three kids (at home), 6', 4", 325 lbs, former century rider, currently going through chemotherapy treatments for leukemia so my carbon frame bike sits in the corner. I like to ride with my daughters, but I have trouble keeping up with them or getting distance on our rides before I have to head back. I would like a bike that would allow me some range to build up to 50+ mile rides again. My rides are mostly flat, interspersed with some fairly high bridges.

Locally we have Kalkhoff (not stocking, but service), Motive, Velec, Pedego, Prodeco Tech all are within 45 minutes.

Within 3 hours there are Haibike, Stromer, Easy Motion and Scott.

I really want a reliable bike, my health really prevents me from being able to do much more than routine maintenance. I have ridden the Velec (step through, not sure what model) and really like it but concerned about reliability, also rode the Motiv Stout, which was a beast but not a step through so harder for me to get one and off. I have not tried a Kalkhoff because my LBS only special orders them and does not stock them.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about the Leukemia. I was just discussing this with my biker friend last weekend and he is also currently undergoing chemo.
He shared this video with me and it makes total sense.

Your idea of eBiking is perfect. If you're interested in reading about the scientific study, I have also attached this paper for you.

At 6ft 4", you really need a XL frame size (52+ cm). Given your medical condition, a sturdy bike with a powerful motor is a must. A 350W mid-drive is powerful for sure but to propel a 325 lb rider, you would be better off with a 48V, 500W hub drive. Make sure to try a mid-drive (Bosch or Yamaha) and see how you like them. They require more physical input and proper shifting compared to some of the hub drives and given your medical condition, you may want to stick something that has both pedal assist and throttle (unless you're totally against throttle! then that's irrelevant).

You could always get an extra battery and extend your range to 75+ miles. You also mention you were a century rider.
Personal experience always trumps everything else. I suggest you try or research these bikes and see how you like them.

1. BULLS Cross Lite E - step thru ( I suggest 58cm frame)

2. BH EVO City Wave. 48V 500W motor system. (again a step-thru frame)
    With the adjustable handlebar, a large frame would suit you well.

3. Kalkhoff Agattu Premium
    This bike comes in 60cm frame and would fit you well and also it's an elegant step-thru design.

4. The one I think that will really suit you well is this one. It's very comfortable, has a long range battery, just about everything you need for long rides.

BULLS Lacuba EVO E-45 step thru. A 53cm frame would work very well.
    Check out Court's review of this bike.

You may also consider these bikes:
  1. Haibike Hard Seven Plus RC - 55cm
    It's not a low-step but 55cm will be a good fit. Bosch CX drive zippy and plus sized tires are great for traction.
    Hard Seven Plus RC.JPG

2. Haibike Sduro Hardnine RC - 55cm
    It's a Yamaha drive and again not a low step but solid bike with excellent components. I suggested these two because they are very reliable drive systems but they are not step-thru
    Sduro Hard Nine RC.JPG

3. Pedego Interceptor - 500w.
    A totally different bike but it will handle your weight and is big enough. Pedego has excellent dealer support. Stock battery can get you 40 miles easily.

Whatever bike you pick, you are going to enjoy it. Good luck with the recovery.

Fantastic, exactly what I am looking for. I had looked at the Bulls line before, but without a local dealer I was a bit nervous.

Yes, exercise, positive outlook and a good medical team are all important to sustain recovery. Tell your friend to remain strong and have him reach out to me if I can help him.

Since you've got a Pedego dealer around, maybe look at a City Commuter, the large model (28" wheels), step through. Rear hub motor instead of the mid you're thinking about, but they are really strong for the bridges, should be plenty of range with the bigger battery. Can handle heavy riders just fine.

My wife has one (she is a long way from being a heavy rider, I'd better state) - the smaller frame - and loves it, and I almost bought one as well but went more the mountain bike route. Really liked the CC when I demoed it, though, and having a dealer around is a big plus with these things.

Good luck whichever way you go, though

I agree with everyone, if you can test ride, that goes a long way in my book, good luck with everything!

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

Thank you Dave, I will add that one to my list for research. I really like the Bulls Lacuba but it is at the top of my budget and I am concerned that not having a servicing dealer close by could be a concern. Not necessarily for warranty, but for flat tires, normal maintenance, fitting, etc., .....it just makes it that much easier.

I am glad that both of you pointed out that a rear hub would be excellent, since I was concerned that it would be the wrong choice. Knowing that, it does open up my options a bit.

@Matt Maynor, with 15+ years of ebike experience I would like you to feel secure that hub motors can do as much as any mid drive motor. Both will need you to pedal and both have their respective advantages. I'd focus more on what ebike feels comfortable to you when you get on; that is what will keep you riding. Some frames are stronger than others but they all use the same type of motors, so it's not about the motors so much as the bike build itself. Court wrote a nice summary of product earlier this year that focuses on ebikes for bigger & taller people. This is a good starting point since other new product have arrived on the scene this year; it will give you a better idea of what might work best for you design wise.

Having a local bike shop will be handy for all of the normal stuff---flats, tune-ups, etc. as well as all of the ebike specific things. There are options within many of the brands mentioned here that will be great for you. Just try out some nearby.

Thank you Anne and Mark V. for your comments, I have read the recommendations and articles that you suggested.

I too think that a local bike shop would be instrumental in helping me keep the momentum going on getting back on a bike. The two test drive I took (Motive, Velec) felt fantastic, but I know that I can get derailed quickly if I have service or other issues that I cannot address locally. Since I would normally ride in the morning, rain or shine, I can be tough on my bikes and prefer them to be low maintenance, instead saving my strength for actually riding. I normally got my carbon frame bike serviced twice a year, so I assume that ebikes would need at least that and I know that changing a rear flat with a rear hub motor would be difficult to do on the road, or at least it seems that way to me.

If I take these things into consideration my top choices would be the Kalkhoff Agattu, Pedego City Comminuter, Pedego Interceptor, BH Evo City Wave, all of which I am researching. I liked what I read bout the BH, but the dealer is 3 or more hours away, so it is probably lowest on my list.

Thank you again for your help. I am now going to take time and ride the Pedego bikes, at least what they have in stock. Since the dealer for Kalkhoff does not stock, I cannot ride that one, but it can be serviced locally so I do want to consider it. If not completely satisfied, I can then move on to the longer drive to check out a BH Evo City Wave or even a Haibike, which is also about three hours away. I really liked the Bulls line, but I don't have the confidence in my skills to keep it maintained without a dealer nearby.

Last edited:
@Matt Maynor, with 15+ years of ebike experience I would like you to feel secure that hub motors can do as much as any mid drive motor. Both will need you to pedal and both have their respective advantages. I'd focus more on what ebike feels comfortable to you when you get on; that is what will keep you riding. Some frames are stronger than others but they all use the same type of motors, so it's not about the motors so much as the bike build itself. Court wrote a nice summary of product earlier this year that focuses on ebikes for bigger & taller people. This is a good starting point since other new product have arrived on the scene this year; it will give you a better idea of what might work best for you design wise.

Having a local bike shop will be handy for all of the normal stuff---flats, tune-ups, etc. as well as all of the ebike specific things. There are options within many of the brands mentioned here that will be great for you. Just try out some nearby.
It's odd that your advice isn't more widely accepted. Fit has always been the most important aspect of a bike purchase. Somehow it seems that when motors got added many went to one size fits most. Thanks for making that point. I was a total mid drive fan and am now discovering there's a lot to be said for hub motors and some new exciting things are coming out this year!

Reactions: JRA
I don't know if the local Kalkhoff also services the Focus brand. If so, I would recommend the Focus Aventura Impulse speed, low step version.
http://propelbikes.com/product/focus-aventura-impulse-speed-1-0/
Where's the fun in riding an ebike if a non-ebike can easily pass you just because your ebike is limited to 20 mph? The battery can definitely reach 50 miles but not in high power assist level all the time. Battery mileage ranges roughly from 10-20 wh/mile. The 612 wh battery is more than enough.
https://electricbikereview.com/focus/aventura-impulse-speed-1-0/
You can also take note on the comments about by owners at the end of the review.

Last edited:
Back