Help in choosing a bike for BBSHD and batteries

Mate

After my first folding ebike I decided to make ebike with a BBSHD engine.
Engine was 350w now I want to go for 1000w.

After hours and hours spent in research, it is not possible to decide which bike to choose that Bottom Bracke is ok fort BBSHD.
Because there are so many types of Bottom Brackets and the information from the pictures are not same from different sellers.
InkedBBSHD_LI.jpg

InkedBBSHD2_LI.jpg

I want to buy a new bike for this project. In the stores I went to see the offer for MTB 29" the brands are Trek (Marlin) Cube, Giant.
Does anyone know which Brands, model the Bottom Bracket fits on BBSHD?

Is this Hailong battery 48V 17.5Ah that comes on offer ok or should I buy another one? ( This is kit that I want to buy)
Battery that I want needs to be about 17.5Ah or more. 48v or 52v.
If anyone knows anything better please can you advice me?

Disclaimer: I am new to this so please gather more information....
But from what I understand the 1000w version of the mid drive comes in 3 flavors. 68mm, 100mm and 120mm. You can see this from the options on the Amazon page. So once you decide on the bicycle you can order the version that matches.
The reason that you may be getting different measurements of the same model bicycle is that sometimes manufacturers make multiple versions of the same model. I think your best bet is to head to a local bicycle store with a ruler and measure yourself. This way you can tell if you like other aspects of the bicycle and its comfort.
Also take into consideration that battery mount as this is where I am having trouble. My bicycle is full suspension and blocking the bottom tube with the shock mount as well as no allowance for a rear rack. I knew this going in and with a few modifications I think it will work out. Worse case I can throw the motor on my spare Fiji or do as you are now.
As for the Amazon seller... This most probably is a drop shipper from China. I would ask the seller a lot of questions as this option is risky at best. I got mine from Aliexpress and so far so good. I would think at minimum you want name brand cells in the battery.. Samsung, LG... etc..
If you're in the EU.. You should take a look at EM3ev: https://em3ev.com/
They will be more expensive, but more than likely will offer a better quality battery and overall support.
Good luck....

Gionnirocket hanks you for your reply and advices.

It is easy for me to measure the width (68, 100 or 120). That doesn't worry me.
I'm worried about the diameter.
I'm not sure what the exact diameter of the BBSHD is because it says on one sellers page 33.5mm and on another 34.5mm.
Did you use this:

The data in the picture says that they are Samsung's batteries.
Inked61KPdelWcnL._AC_SL1000__LI.jpg

I will definitely look at their offer of batteries, maybe the whole kit.

1589896067477.png

Got you...
I have the 750w so I'll be of no help.
That should be a question for the vendor... Or maybe someone here with more experience. I'd guess the difference in diameter coincides with the different lengths available.
No I did not see that brace... But I don't see a use for it on my install.
Review the info on em3ev about batteries... Very informative about the different levels of build quality on top of cell manufacturer.

From the below post:

"Bafang BBSxx motors have a bottom bracket shaft diameter of 33.5 mm and are designed to fit into the bicycle bottom bracket standard known as JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard, which is very similar to our standard here in the US commonly referred to as "square tapered spindle", ISO/English, BSA, British, or "threaded". Available in 4 widths, (68 mm)(73 mm Oversize)(83 mm Some Downhill & FR bikes)(100 mm "Fat bikes"). Shell inside diameter is 33.6-33.9 mm. BSA has threads on the inside of the shell measuring 1.37 in x 24 TPI. ..."

see the rest of the post here (I used a new Giant Roam 3 for my conversion with a BBSHD - yes it's not always easy to tell from a manufacturer's web site what bottom bracket the bike actually has - I think almost all the Giants have the above standard):

I would look at getting a battery with 21700 cells and 52V from a reputable site.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
I learned a lot on the forum.
Was there a problem with Giant Roam 3?
Any suggestion for battery?

Thanks for your help.
I learned a lot on the forum.
Was there a problem with Giant Roam 3?
Any suggestion for battery?

No problems with the Roam 3 (lunacycle used one for a BBSHD conversion bike that they sell), but I also considered a Talon. I went with Giant because the LBS that's close to my house carries them and most (probably all) of their bikes in that price range have the standard bottom bracket. I also considered Cannondale but they have BB30 which requires removal and an adapter. Trek would also be OK as well as several other brands but I'd make sure I knew what the actual bottom bracket was.

Although the higher end models for many bike manufacturers use derailleurs that are 9 or 10 speed or more, and those are nicer derailleurs, the Roam 3 came with the 8-speed (acera). I rarely use the lowest gears, except on fairly steep hills, so you may not need more gears than that. Also, 8-speed chains are thicker than the the 9's/10's/etc., so they tend to be a little stronger, which can be a consideration as chains can be broken pretty easily by a motor with that power.

I got my battery from Grin Tech in Canada, although I live in the U.S. Prices are coming down a lot, too. These guys also seem pretty good for a 52V 21700 and it's probably less expensive from them if you live in the US (I also see 21700 batteries advertised on ali express, etc.):

Although I like my bike, if I had to do it again I would probably buy one pre-made. Even buying everything myself and building it, to make one with a BBSHD still cost me close to what I could buy one for at a company like luna cycle or one of the other bike companies that uses bbshd's. But if you want the challenge of building one (it's not that difficult) then go for it.

Dr. V thanks

As far as I was able to conclude from my research Giant and Trek use BB 73mm (maybe 68mm in yours?) BSA bottom bracket 1.370 / 1.375 ″ x 24TPI.
- I wonder if there is enough room to tighten if I add a stabilizer bar?
- Which Chainwhell are you using
- What battery do you have?
- What display do you have
- How much did it all cost you?

I'm thinking of buying everything from EM3EV

Dr. V thanks

As far as I was able to conclude from my research Giant and Trek use BB 73mm (maybe 68mm in yours?) BSA bottom bracket 1.370 / 1.375 ″ x 24TPI.
- I wonder if there is enough room to tighten if I add a stabilizer bar?
- Which Chainwhell are you using
- What battery do you have?
- What display do you have
- How much did it all cost you?

I'm thinking of buying everything from EM3EV

Stabilizer bar - I don't know
Chainring - 48T Luna Eclipse https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-48t-chain-ring-for-the-bbshd/
Battery - 52V 21700 cells (see above post)
Display - DPC-18

I bought the kit from Luna Cycle, although EM3EV was my second choice. The price was close, but because Luna was able to get it to me sooner I went with them. They've been good in terms of customer support. As for my cost, the motor was about the same as they're selling for now, but you could probably get the battery for about 100 - 150 less than what I paid depending on where you live, etc.

Was there any thread left on the bottom bracket (if is 73mm BB) when everything was installed ?
Did you use any spacers?

Was there any thread left on the bottom bracket (if is 73mm BB) when everything was installed ?
Did you use any spacers?

I think the Roam is 68 but I'm not sure. I used spacers, but more to get the chain ring alignment with the rear cassette using the 48t luna eclipse chain ring.

Back