Help! I’m exhausted from researching which ebike to purchase.

GoGranny51

Region
USA
My situation:
1. I am trying to choose a bike, and there are no places near where I live to try them out.
2. I will be using my bike for recreation/exercise on flat, paved streets in one location and pretty steep hills, and well-groomed trails with some hills in another.
3. The closest bike repair shop is an hour away, either location
4. The bike is a gift, so I am concerned about cost.
5. I’m 5’5”, 70 y/o. No knee issues but want a step-thru

The nearest retail bike shop has a Momentum Transcend, small frame, for around $3000. Appears to be a good bike, but I’m thinking the Momentum Vida, which they do not have, would be a better choice for me.The advantage here is a local dealer who could do repairs, when needed. 2nd choice is Pedego, who is further away. Their warranty is appealing; but their cost/value doesn’t seem as good. The final choice is ordering online, probably a Rad City 5+ step thru. Good cost/value. But I’m concerned no one will repair it when needed,
I’d love advice from anyone on these issues! And thank you, in advance.

I would say the one in stock as long as it is the low bar version would be a good choice over either the Pedego, I agree that their pricing is a bit high, and certainly the RAD whose pricing is a bit low as reflected in their overall components. Plus the Momentum is a mid drive which is probably a bit better all around, especially if you have the steep hills as you say.

The Vida has a lower step through but looks similar to the other model in regards to power/battery but as it is less money that is probably reflected in the components. If it is more appealing to you you might see if they can order one in for you?

The Momentum Vida sounds like what you want to try, but Giant are experiencing real problems supplying their dealers with product due to global problems with supply chain issues. I agree the ebike in stock at a shop that will support it is the ideal. Do you live in an area that is covered by a Velofix mobile mechanic who sell and service RadPower bikes?

I would say the one in stock as long as it is the low bar version would be a good choice over either the Pedego, I agree that their pricing is a bit high, and certainly the RAD whose pricing is a bit low as reflected in their overall components. Plus the Momentum is a mid drive which is probably a bit better all around, especially if you have the steep hills as you say.

The Vida has a lower step through but looks similar to the other model in regards to power/battery but as it is less money that is probably reflected in the components. If it is more appealing to you you might see if they can order one in for you?
I did ask the bike shop ab getting a Vida, but they cannot. The closest one I can find is 5 hrs from where I live; and I agree the the specs are too similar to the Transcend to take that risk. Thanks for the thoughts on all this! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: JRA
The Momentum Vida sounds like what you want to try, but Giant are experiencing real problems supplying their dealers with product due to global problems with supply chain issues. I agree the ebike in stock at a shop that will support it is the ideal. Do you live in an area that is covered by a Velofix mobile mechanic who sell and service RadPower bikes?
Oh- and I checked on whether there is a Velofix near either place I’ll be. The closest is 3 hrs away😔

If you don't do your own repair work, ask the LBS closest to you if they will work on brands other than what they sell. Unless you have a friend who can do the work for you, I would stick with what the local LBS sells. E-bikes are more complicated than conventional models and require more maintenance.

I was in the same boat as you when I was bike shopping back in 2017. In my case however, there were NO local shops that sold or repaired e-bikes. My wife and I took several overnight trips to nearby states and tested a dozen or more bikes. We made the trips like a mini vacations and actually had fun doing it. We eventually bought from an out of state Pedego dealer 4 hours away. We chose Pedego for their outstanding customer service. They also helped me with doing my own repairs and sent any necessary parts directly to me without going through a dealer.

I tinkered with conventional bikes over the years and learned the basics. Some of this experience carried over to e-bikes and I've slowly been learning to do my own work. I can honestly say that this forum has been an invaluable tool in that learning experience. There are many websites and YouTube videos available to help as well.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions, so don't be afraid to do so!

Good luck with your search!

For what it's worth my experience with Bike repair issues (I own a Rad Rover and a Rad Mini,both step throughs) is that the repairs/adjustments have all been the same same as non electric bikes. Brakes,chains,tires,and the occasional gear adjustment. Seems to me any bike shop should be able to do those. In my case I've learned to do that stuff myself with help from here and videos as there are no bike shops of any kind near me.

Is there an REI store in your area? They'll generally work on any e-bike and sell them as well. I didn't know that until just recently....

When I was searching for an ebike, I think the Momentum Transcend model was my second choice after the Specialized I eventually bought. It is a nice bike, especially for a smaller person.

My situation:
1. I am trying to choose a bike, and there are no places near where I live to try them out.
2. I will be using my bike for recreation/exercise on flat, paved streets in one location and pretty steep hills, and well-groomed trails with some hills in another.

The nearest retail bike shop has a Momentum Transcend, small frame, for around $3000. Appears to be a good bike, but I’m thinking the Momentum Vida, which they do not have, would be a better choice for me.The advantage here is a local dealer who could do repairs, when needed. 2nd choice is Pedego, who is further away. Their warranty is appealing; but their cost/value doesn’t seem as good. The final choice is ordering online, probably a Rad City 5+ step thru. Good cost/value. But I’m concerned no one will repair it when needed,
Take a look at Espin Flow. Great value. I own 2 Sports and have been more than pleased. If Velofix is an option for you for repairs, it's a no brainer..

My situation:

Since it seems repair and maintenance is a top concern for you, I would advise buying the simplest set up.
That would of course be a hub motor, geared or not. Don't think you can get any ebike that's simpler.
Oh, and they are usally MUCH cheaper!

I would vouch for Pedego, we have three (two Elements and a platinum Interceptor) and we love them. They ride great and no problems at all so far. The dealer is wonderful.

Since it seems repair and maintenance is a top concern for you, I would advise buying the simplest set up.
That would of course be a hub motor, geared or not. Don't think you can get any ebike that's simpler.
Oh, and they are usally MUCH cheaper!
After owning 4 ebikes, 3 hubs and 1 mid, I would go with the one that fits you the best that you can handle (preferably the lightest) Unless you are strong like bull, stay away from Ebikes that weigh over 60 lbs...

My situation:

IMO buy an AVENTON....I have 6 different makes from Mid Drive to hub....My wife loves her Aventon for simplicity and other reasons. After you buy one it most likely won't be your last but this is a Great starter for the $$'s. Of course you will have to add a headlight if you so desire. Good luck!

After owning 4 ebikes, 3 hubs and 1 mid, I would go with the one that fits you the best that you can handle (preferably the lightest) Unless you are strong like bull, stay away from Ebikes that weigh over 60 lbs...
What is the reason you are quoting my post?

By quoting me are you saying hub motor ebikes are any heavier than mid drive?
Because if you are, I don't believe you are correct, I know for a fact that there is a 35 lb hub ebike that goes 35 mph plus and I'm sure there are even lighter hub ebikes.

Or by quoting me are you saying that repair, maintenance and cost is not a concern of the OP?
Again look at points 3 and 4 of the OP's post.

What is the reason you are quoting my post?

By quoting me are you saying hub motor ebikes are any heavier than mid drive?
Because if you are, I don't believe you are correct, I know for a fact that there is a 35 lb hub ebike that goes 35 mph plus and I'm sure there are even lighter hub ebikes.

Or by quoting me are you saying that repair, maintenance and cost is not a concern of the OP?
Again look at points 3 and 4 of the OP's post.
You are correct. I inadvertently quoted your post. I should have gone all the way to the top and quoted the OP. My bad...

Unless you are strong like bull, stay away from Ebikes that weigh over 60 lbs...
Why? So one can take her bike for a ride in her car? Carry it up the stairs? I don't do any of those. I had a couple of 50-60 lb bikes that threw me on my chin 5 times because I am not strong enough to hold the handlebar straight when front wheel hits a speed bump, ridge of gravel, high pavement separator, stick. This 78 lb bike with 16 lb tools & water has been tame & polite, never throwing me.

I’d also caution you against Radbikes as they have slothful customer service. I wish i hadn’t bought mine!

If you don't do your own repair work, ask the LBS closest to you if they will work on brands other than what they sell. Unless you have a friend who can do the work for you, I would stick with what the local LBS sells. E-bikes are more complicated than conventional models and require more maintenance.

I was in the same boat as you when I was bike shopping back in 2017. In my case however, there were NO local shops that sold or repaired e-bikes. My wife and I took several overnight trips to nearby states and tested a dozen or more bikes. We made the trips like a mini vacations and actually had fun doing it. We eventually bought from an out of state Pedego dealer 4 hours away. We chose Pedego for their outstanding customer service. They also helped me with doing my own repairs and sent any necessary parts directly to me without going through a dealer.

I tinkered with conventional bikes over the years and learned the basics. Some of this experience carried over to e-bikes and I've slowly been learning to do my own work. I can honestly say that this forum has been an invaluable tool in that learning experience. There are many websites and YouTube videos available to help as well.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions, so don't be afraid to do so!

Good luck with your search!
Thank you for sharing your buying experience and more. It's good to hear a positive comment about Pedego-the dealer with whom I spoke could not have been more patient and helpful. But the facts still remain that it's on the steep side with regards to $$ and not my favorite bike (rear rack mounted battery, on the heavy side). On the other hand, I do not intend to learn too much ab repairs, only general maintenance. So the thought of 5 years of minimal worries is appealing.

Back