Help! I’m exhausted from researching which ebike to purchase.

Is there an REI store in your area? They'll generally work on any e-bike and sell them as well. I didn't know that until just recently....
There IS an REI store about 1 1/2 hrs away from the primary location I'll be using the bike. But I wasn't sold on the bike(s) available that fit my needs (Cannondale Adventure Neo 4), I'm thinking they may be a resource for repairs, however, if the need arises and I EVER make a decision!

When I was searching for an ebike, I think the Momentum Transcend model was my second choice after the Specialized I eventually bought. It is a nice bike, especially for a smaller person.
The Transcend is still high on my list for two reasons: closest actual bike shop and it's components. However info on this bike is hard to find

After owning 4 ebikes, 3 hubs and 1 mid, I would go with the one that fits you the best that you can handle (preferably the lightest) Unless you are strong like bull, stay away from Ebikes that weigh over 60 lbs...
My friend and golf buddy, who rides/transports her bike a lot, also warned me not to attempt to lift a bike over 50 lbs. She is my age but probably has better upper body strength than I. Too bad cuz I really wanted to take the new ebike back and forth with me

Why? So one can take her bike for a ride in her car? Carry it up the stairs? I don't do any of those. I had a couple of 50-60 lb bikes that threw me on my chin 5 times because I am not strong enough to hold the handlebar straight when front wheel hits a speed bump, ridge of gravel, high pavement separator, stick. This 78 lb bike with 16 lb tools & water has been tame & polite, never throwing me.
That's scary... Was the bike that "threw" you pretty evenly weighted, or was the battery mounted in the rear? I've wondered about the distribution of weight being a factor. I'm no light-weight; but I'm also not heavy. And I have no intention of going over 20mph-

IMO buy an AVENTON....I have 6 different makes from Mid Drive to hub....My wife loves her Aventon for simplicity and other reasons. After you buy one it most likely won't be your last but this is a Great starter for the $$'s. Of course you will have to add a headlight if you so desire. Good luck!
Thanks for the comment. I see the Aventon similarly to the Rad. Just not sure I want to take a chance on not finding someone who will work on it if need be

Why? So one can take her bike for a ride in her car? Carry it up the stairs? I don't do any of those. I had a couple of 50-60 lb bikes that threw me on my chin 5 times because I am not strong enough to hold the handlebar straight when front wheel hits a speed bump, ridge of gravel, high pavement separator, stick. This 78 lb bike with 16 lb tools & water has been tame & polite, never throwing me.
The OP and this comment indicate why I ended up spending way more than my initial Buchenwald’s I bought my Specialized Turbo Vado SL. I realized I wouldn’t be able to lift a 50 pound bike onto a hitch bike rack or into the rear of my SUV.

When I bought my criteria were:
  • Under 40 pounds, equipped (rack, lights and so forth)
  • class 3 to be safer on streets
  • upright position
  • dealer support
When I bought it, the SL had only been on the market a few days, but it fit my criteria nearly perfectly. My wife is still pissed that I spent so much, but I can’t complain about the bike. I’ve ridden almost 3000 miles over 18 months.

My criteria for a bike have not really changed. The only thing I might want on the SL would be the ability to use wider tires for gravel. A couple of mm would be nice. I check out the market all the time, and haven’t found a compelling alternative for the kind of riding I do. Mostly on a rail trail with occasional streets and gravel.

The OP and this comment indicate why I ended up spending way more than my initial Buchenwald’s I bought my Specialized Turbo Vado SL. I realized I wouldn’t be able to lift a 50 pound bike onto a hitch bike rack or into the rear of my SUV.

When I bought my criteria were:
  • Under 40 pounds, equipped (rack, lights and so forth)
  • class 3 to be safer on streets
  • upright position
  • dealer support
When I bought it, the SL had only been on the market a few days, but it fit my criteria nearly perfectly. My wife is still pissed that I spent so much, but I can’t complain about the bike. I’ve ridden almost 3000 miles over 18 months.

My criteria for a bike have not really changed. The only thing I might want on the SL would be the ability to use wider tires for gravel. A couple of mm would be nice. I check out the market all the time, and haven’t found a compelling alternative for the kind of riding I do. Mostly on a rail trail with occasional streets and gravel.
I would say that a ramp would have cost a lot less.

Specialized Turbo Vado SL.
In the case of the OP, that would be the Specialized Turbo Vado SL Step-Through due to the OP's height but it is US$3600.

The only thing I might want on the SL would be the ability to use wider tires for gravel.
38 mm tires are the gravel-cycling standard, and these can be pretty lightweight. I think your issue is rather the lack of any suspension? Let us move this talk to the Vado SL thread though!

Last edited:
In the case of the OP, that would be the Specialized Turbo Vado SL Step-Through due to the OP's height but it is US$3600.

38 mm tires are the gravel-cycling standard, and these can be pretty lightweight. I think your issue is rather the lack of any suspension? Let us move this talk to the Vado SL thread though!
Good plan. See you there

There IS an REI store about 1 1/2 hrs away from the primary location I'll be using the bike. But I wasn't sold on the bike(s) available that fit my needs (Cannondale Adventure Neo 4), I'm thinking they may be a resource for repairs, however, if the need arises and I EVER make a decision!
I just looked at the REI lineup of bikes and looked at your wants and needs. It's my opinion that the REI selection would better serve your needs for hill climbing, battery economy and best bang for your buck compared to those Chinesium hub drive motored bikes. I want to believe someone at each REI bike shop has been Bosch certified should motor repairs come up and of course, you have the selection of REI stores to choose from should you ever need bike servicing. I really don't recall any gripes about service from REI on these forums. 2800 dollars for a Bosch powered bike is a pretty darn good deal. I'd recommend a 500wh battery though, for best mileage per full battery charge.

Back