Help deciding on E-bike for longer commute

You are the first manufacturer I've corresponded with besides sales chat. Thanks for the straight forward answers. One more question; what would it entail moving manufacturing to the US? What would have to happen for it to make sound business sense to manufacture ebikes in the US? OK that's two questions so I'll stop =D

Thanks Gator. One thing I vow to be is honest about what we have and our perspective on issues. After 30 years in marketing and advertising, I'm on a mission to reestablish hard work, quality and value as the cornerstones to a successful business. I've had my fill of the hype, misleading statements and questionable claims demanded by some clients. Done. And I'm sleeping so much better now. LOL

Moving production here would be amazing, but the feasibility is really going to come down to where this potential tariff and trade war leads. Adding 25% to the cost of e-bikes is not a small thing. Some companies are discussing the shipment of partially assembled e-bikes that would qualify as "parts" and be exempt from the e-bike tariff, then completing assembly in the States - I believe Pedego is among those. Building out assembly lines, paint booths, getting all the equipment to set hub motors and lace spokes... crazy expensive to start from scratch. Then you decide to have the wheels assembled to save equipment purchases. Maybe also have them do the paint so you don't have to deal with regulations and booths, and... pretty soon they're doing it all again anyway. For me personally, I need to be a top ten brand just to consider the investment. Partial assembly would be a stepping stone I'd explore much sooner, but let me get my first shipment sold before I commit. LOL

So I called up two e-bike shops in the Baltimore/DC area today to see if they'd help with any service or repairs I did not have the time or skill to address. I got almost the exact same response from each. It went something like this:
  1. Electric bikes from "online retailers" are trash.
  2. Online retailers just "wander around China" buying up e-bikes and selling them to US consumers.
  3. It's impossible to get warranty help for the battery/motor, and anything other than Bosch/Shimano inevitably breaks, and they both had examples of Juiced bikes in their shops that "just don't work" (couldn't provide any more detail)
  4. Come on down to our shop and we'll help you (you poor misinformed soul) in finding a "real" e-bike
I'm assuming this just reflects the bias of brick-and-mortar shops that need to move inventory. I've gone through the Juiced forum on this site fairly extensively. It appears that customer support and warranty claims used to be sluggish but have seen considerable improvements recently. I also understand that there are some aspects of Juiced bikes that are not the highest quality (battery connector design seems to be a good example). However, given the price point, this seems to be a worthwhile compromise. The cost of a bike with equivalent specs from other, more mainstream groups appears to be several thousand dollars more, which is outside my budget.

Still—it was a bit dispiriting.
Their comments are close to my exact experience. They aren't making up the stories. My first eBike was a Sondors. 1,700 miles and the Bafang geared hub motor is dead. The repair tech from the Facebook owner's page repaired solder joints on the Hall sensors, then it lasted 10 miles when I got it back. Second bike was a demo Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX mtb bought from a dealer. It had 150 miles on it. Paid a discounted price of $2,800 and besides lubing the chain, the only problem in 2,100 miles was a broken brake blade from a hard brush with a tree. Third eBike was another Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. Bought on an old model year sale for $2,600 at the same dealer. 2,100 miles on it and only had to oil the chain. Fourth eBike is a Sunseeker Fat Tad, bought on-line from Electric Trike. First trike was refused from a crushed box and damages to the trike in shipping. Second trike had a dead PAS sensor right out of the box. 540 miles on it. The controller is very primitive compared to the Haibikes. Not nearly the pleasure in riding. So trouble with both on line purchased bikes, none from dealer bikes. They are supposed to be helping me with the dead Sondors motor, but nothing yet. It'll cost me another $250 or so to get it running again. I fully support LBS purchases, especially if you aren't a bike mechanic.

Their comments are close to my exact experience. They aren't making up the stories. My first eBike was a Sondors. 1,700 miles and the Bafang geared hub motor is dead. The repair tech from the Facebook owner's page repaired solder joints on the Hall sensors, then it lasted 10 miles when I got it back. Second bike was a demo Haibike XDURO Full Seven S RX mtb bought from a dealer. It had 150 miles on it. Paid a discounted price of $2,800 and besides lubing the chain, the only problem in 2,100 miles was a broken brake blade from a hard brush with a tree. Third eBike was another Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. Bought on an old model year sale for $2,600 at the same dealer. 2,100 miles on it and only had to oil the chain. Fourth eBike is a Sunseeker Fat Tad, bought on-line from Electric Trike. First trike was refused from a crushed box and damages to the trike in shipping. Second trike had a dead PAS sensor right out of the box. 540 miles on it. The controller is very primitive compared to the Haibikes. Not nearly the pleasure in riding. So trouble with both on line purchased bikes, none from dealer bikes. They are supposed to be helping me with the dead Sondors motor, but nothing yet. It'll cost me another $250 or so to get it running again. I fully support LBS purchases, especially if you aren't a bike mechanic.

Hi Rich! An e-bike is only as good as the sum of its parts. Comparing a Sondors to a Haibike is a bit like comparing tin foil and steel. You also noted some parts on the Sunseeker were "primitive" compared to Haibike, so not really a fair comparison to determine quality or durability of online purchases. I won't disparage any competitors, but one of the e-bikes you mention is well documented for being problematic. It would be that way in a store or online. All bikes get shipped from China by boat. All bikes get shipped from the port to the warehouse. Retailers then ship to dealers, online stores ship to customers. Not really that much difference in handling. The difference is that the LBS takes the bike out, assembles and tests it. Online stores need to take that same step and not roll the dice that the e-bikes made the trip undamaged.

So online or LBS, the real differentials are quality of parts, pre-ship inspection and $600-$800 in price. It's up to the consumer to decide if savings or in-person service is more important. Always check the specs when comparing e-bikes! It's the only sure way to gauge the quality of an e-bike and set your expectations.

Hi Rich! An e-bike is only as good as the sum of its parts. Comparing a Sondors to a Haibike is a bit like comparing tin foil and steel. You also noted some parts on the Sunseeker were "primitive" compared to Haibike, so not really a fair comparison to determine quality or durability of online purchases. I won't disparage any competitors, but one of the e-bikes you mention is well documented for being problematic. It would be that way in a store or online. All bikes get shipped from China by boat. All bikes get shipped from the port to the warehouse. Retailers then ship to dealers, online stores ship to customers. Not really that much difference in handling. The difference is that the LBS takes the bike out, assembles and tests it. Online stores need to take that same step and not roll the dice that the e-bikes made the trip undamaged.

So online or LBS, the real differentials are quality of parts, pre-ship inspection and $600-$800 in price. It's up to the consumer to decide if savings or in-person service is more important. Always check the specs when comparing e-bikes! It's the only sure way to gauge the quality of an e-bike and set your expectations.
Hi Acey, Okay, I'll give you the engineering difference has nothing to do with on-line vs LBS. But the new eBike owner ( like me who hadn't ridden a bike in 50 years) has no idea about these things until they get a ride. I had no idea a Haibike was that much different than a Sondors until I rode both. Sure I knew they were really far apart on price, but quality expressed in advertising doesn't seem much different until you ride. It's just a bicycle after all. Very few advertise their bikes aren't up to the quality of high end bikes, they all advertise it's the middle man LBS that jacks up the price. You also undersell the issue of shipping in my mind. Crushed boxes, boxed bicycles stolen off the porch, and the new bike owner that has to wait for parts to show up to replace shipping damage are all realities. Not to mention the customer that now has to be a bike mechanic to replace that damaged fork that was sticking out of the box when it arrived. Electric Trike sent along a bottle of touch up paint, that impressed me. One of the best parts of a LBS is buying a bike off the floor. On line retailers are famous for under estimating delivery from China, or even underestimating when the bike in the warehouse will get to UPS truck. It boils down to being educated by forums like this about what you are really getting. Enthusiasts are quick to write off the benefits of a local shop. But to someone who has no idea about frame size, stand over height and leg extension for best efficiency, how the model of a derailleur from the same company makes a difference, how much better hydraulic brakes work on a mtb trail, how difficult troubleshooting the electrical circuits on a dead bike can be (people are shocked that they should own a multimeter whatever that is to them), and how to adjust and lube parts on a bike, the LBS can easily be worth that $600-$800.

Hi Acey, Okay, I'll give you the engineering difference has nothing to do with on-line vs LBS. But the new eBike owner ( like me who hadn't ridden a bike in 50 years) has no idea about these things until they get a ride. I had no idea a Haibike was that much different than a Sondors until I rode both. Sure I knew they were really far apart on price, but quality expressed in advertising doesn't seem much different until you ride. It's just a bicycle after all. Very few advertise their bikes aren't up to the quality of high end bikes, they all advertise it's the middle man LBS that jacks up the price. You also undersell the issue of shipping in my mind. Crushed boxes, boxed bicycles stolen off the porch, and the new bike owner that has to wait for parts to show up to replace shipping damage are all realities. Not to mention the customer that now has to be a bike mechanic to replace that damaged fork that was sticking out of the box when it arrived. Electric Trike sent along a bottle of touch up paint, that impressed me. One of the best parts of a LBS is buying a bike off the floor. On line retailers are famous for under estimating delivery from China, or even underestimating when the bike in the warehouse will get to UPS truck. It boils down to being educated by forums like this about what you are really getting. Enthusiasts are quick to write off the benefits of a local shop. But to someone who has no idea about frame size, stand over height and leg extension for best efficiency, how the model of a derailleur from the same company makes a difference, how much better hydraulic brakes work on a mtb trail, how difficult troubleshooting the electrical circuits on a dead bike can be (people are shocked that they should own a multimeter whatever that is to them), and how to adjust and lube parts on a bike, the LBS can easily be worth that $600-$800.

Rich, I'm sorry if I came across as saying an LBS is not worth the extra price. It truly is to consumers like you - and there are many. To be honest, you are not the demographic that online sales is targeted towards - at least for my business. It's what allows a happy co-existence between online and brick and mortar. Each fulfills a need within the industry - savings, service, higher value-to-cost, in-person inspection, personal selling, etc.

I'd like to address one aspect of your post, then agree with the rest. Shipping. I can only speak of our policy, but when an order is placed, the box will be pulled from inventory, opened, assembled, battery charged (3-6 hours), random batteries tested, bike tested, re-packaged and shipped if it passes inspection. It takes time and a busy shipping area can be a pinch point in the distribution process. All of our shipments require an adult signature for delivery, or a package can be delivered to any FedEx Store, place of work or local LBS. We caution on our shipping page that having someone provide a signature is not sufficient if they can not move the box to a safe location. All shipments are insured. If a bike box is damaged and refused, we'll send another as soon as we have confirmation the first is on its way back. I worked for UPS during college summers and Christmas break. It's brutal how they toss boxes around. It's the number one complaint by manufacturers in this industry - both regular and e-bike. Special packaging is available, but would increase shipping by about $200 per bike. Perhaps I should add that as an option? The packaging is reusable.

Regarding under-estimating delivery - this plagues the industry, but is less noticeable at an LBS because you only see on the floor what they have, not what is out of stock. That being said, I'd like to validate this with what happened to me at about 4:30am this morning when my phone rang. It was my rep, in tears, telling me she inadvertently caused a delay on my order by trying to do something good. Knowing my emphasis on quality and build, she called in Bafang engineers to inspect and monitor the installation of the torque sensors and programming of the displays, providing in-depth training to the production line. They didn't show up until yesterday. My container was delivered to the factory over a week ago and I thought the order was virtually at the dock, so launched my website on July 4. I had promised myself I wouldn't be one of those people always posting about delays and waited until I "knew" they were done - yet here I am with a new completion date of July 14. Oh, and the lights were the wrong voltage so they will be expressed on August 4, after the bikes arrive. I can't even start re-taking photos or attending the shows I'm booked for. So yeah, that sucks. And now I'm "that guy."

You've also inspired me to write some blog posts about the hierarchy of parts by major companies like Shimano and Tektro; showing my e-bikes with various sized people on them and educating more. Even if people don't buy from me, if I can help them get the e-bike they want, that's cool too. I just want people to be happy with what they get, not wishing it was something better. And that's my niche. People on a budget who know what they want and are looking for the best value and quality for their money. Other consumers will catch on eventually, but people who have been stuck buying something less than they want because they can't afford what they want... That's my life. Those are my people and who I started this business to serve.

My biggest problem is explaining that my e-bike has the intuitive response of a mid-motor with a torque sensor, but has a rear hub motor and a throttle. There are no e-bikes at retail like them - they're Franken-bikes.

I'm truly happy you got the service you require, a dealer you trust and a bike that you love!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have mud on my face to clean up...

Last edited:
Thanks Gator. One thing I vow to be is honest about what we have and our perspective on issues. After 30 years in marketing and advertising, I'm on a mission to reestablish hard work, quality and value as the cornerstones to a successful business. I've had my fill of the hype, misleading statements and questionable claims demanded by some clients. Done. And I'm sleeping so much better now. LOL

Moving production here would be amazing, but the feasibility is really going to come down to where this potential tariff and trade war leads. Adding 25% to the cost of e-bikes is not a small thing. Some companies are discussing the shipment of partially assembled e-bikes that would qualify as "parts" and be exempt from the e-bike tariff, then completing assembly in the States - I believe Pedego is among those. Building out assembly lines, paint booths, getting all the equipment to set hub motors and lace spokes... crazy expensive to start from scratch. Then you decide to have the wheels assembled to save equipment purchases. Maybe also have them do the paint so you don't have to deal with regulations and booths, and... pretty soon they're doing it all again anyway. For me personally, I need to be a top ten brand just to consider the investment. Partial assembly would be a stepping stone I'd explore much sooner, but let me get my first shipment sold before I commit. LOL

Ebikes will be big. I think we are in a spot in history similar to when horses were phased out in favor of cars. Now, I say similar probably not as monumental, but similar. I would love to see industry/manufacturing return to the US so some of the middle class can be rebuilt. If my wife decides she wants an ebike, I will put one or two of your models on the list for her to consider. I appreciate the dialog.

Ebikes will be big. I think we are in a spot in history similar to when horses were phased out in favor of cars. Now, I say similar probably not as monumental, but similar. I would love to see industry/manufacturing return to the US so some of the middle class can be rebuilt. If my wife decides she wants an ebike, I will put one or two of your models on the list for her to consider. I appreciate the dialog.

Thanks Gator. I also appreciate your insights. I got to spend some one-on-one time with the top industry analyst. The US market is on a similar trajectory as the European market, but about 10 years behind. That's what appealed to me - the chance to start a brand with the time to grow slow and steady as the market reaches it's peak in 10-15 years. You are correct that it is revolutionary - maybe like the fast adoption of smart phones and how they became a routine part of life. (I still miss the satisfying sound my flip phone made when flipped shut at the end of a call. A decisive tap is not as satisfying. LOL)

I hear you on helping the middle class. That's my reason for being. I always had to buy the used car without the options, the cheap brand that wouldn't last as long, refurb over new... Nothing is more frustrating than having to buy something you don't want as much as the one you can't afford. I thought maybe I could help some people afford better than their budget by sacrificing immediate profit for slower growth. I'm not afraid to work hard and I'm used to being on a budget. I sometimes daydream about opening an assembly plant in my hometown in Nebraska. It desperately needs local jobs. Only time will tell...

Thank you for your consideration!

I agree that the best route to buy is via a LBS but in Austin, there is a limited amount of e-bikes that can be purchased at an LBS. I took a chance with a company that utilizes Velofix (locally) and had raving customer reviews. So far so good. Rad Rover was the model and I'm sure if it was purchased at a LBS, It most likely would have been $500.00 more. My box arrived in perfect shape (hard to believe) and I have had great flow up from the customer service group on several questions I had one several communicaions.

I'm about to (I think) pull the trigger on a Evelo out of Seattle on a second bike just under $4K. They offer a 4 year warranty and appear to have a great customer service. They also utilize Velofix (locally). I would like to buy this bike locally but I can't.

Lots of choice over the internet and lost of risk. Quality all over the board. Research and more research can help eliminate some risk.

I don't think manufacturing ebikes in the U.S. is a real possibility. The proposed tariffs might help raise import prices, but labor costs in the U.S. compared to China or and of the developing Asian countries would make it extremely difficult to compete. We have a choice: we can either get less expensive stuff from China, or we can have well-paying manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. and pay the difference. My guess is that people would rather buy the less expensive bike, all other things being equal. American companies can compete and excel at design and engineering and support. But Wal-Mart and Amazon have trained people to shop for the absolute lowest prices for a give item. Labor costs are the biggest variable, and I don't think it's a wise long-term strategy to try to fight with China for the cheapest labor.

I don't think manufacturing ebikes in the U.S. is a real possibility. The proposed tariffs might help raise import prices, but labor costs in the U.S. compared to China or and of the developing Asian countries would make it extremely difficult to compete. We have a choice: we can either get less expensive stuff from China, or we can have well-paying manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. and pay the difference. My guess is that people would rather buy the less expensive bike, all other things being equal. American companies can compete and excel at design and engineering and support. But Wal-Mart and Amazon have trained people to shop for the absolute lowest prices for a give item. Labor costs are the biggest variable, and I don't think it's a wise long-term strategy to try to fight with China for the cheapest labor.

Yes it would be challenging. I don't know what the business model would be, but figuring out a way to compete with cheap labor is a key component in maintaining our edge at design, engineering, and support.

Yes it would be challenging. I don't know what the business model would be, but figuring out a way to compete with cheap labor is a key component in maintaining our edge at design, engineering, and support.

I was thinking in terms of following the lead of the automotive industry and have labor intensive work done elsewhere, but final assembly here. Frames could be painted and have the wiring harness installed. Rims could be laced with motor. Batteries in frame, etc. Then a premium service could allow customers to choose seats, tires, handlebar, hand grips, throttle style, brakes... whatever. That service would have to be at premium price to pay the added costs of employment and inventory, but I remember custom building a laptop once to get everything I wanted. Kept it longer than I should have, but it was "special." LOL I still have it in the back of a closet.

Are you saying America currently has an edge at design, engineering, and support for eBikes? I sure don't see it! Could you mention the American companies that are currently leading the world with eBike design and engineering? Thanks.

In looking at bikes online, I had no way of assessing quality. Everyone represents their bikes as being high quality. Then, you start reading user reviews, and it's downhill from there.

I went with an LBS after talking to a man in the parking lot at my local grocery store who was on his fourth or fifth e-bike and said that while he had thought he was getting good deals and cutting out the middle man by buying online he ended up with a bike graveyard in his garage when motors or batteries or connectors parts to a bike's e-bike system died early deaths, and sellers didn't stand behind their products. It's easy to sell a bike. The hard part is what comes before the selling (making a high quality product in the first place) and after the selling (customer support, and supporting a bike and having availability of proprietary parts for years). The problem isn't that stuff is made in China--there are wonderful and there are crummy imported products and parts. The problem with products of any sort is manufacturers who go for what's cheapest and will make a quick sale instead of what will make a great long-term ride for their customers. And, how can a buyer know?

I don't want to be a serial bike owner. I want one bike. I want a keeper. I want a bike from a company who can say, "Yes, in 10 years we will be supporting your bike." I see my e-bike the way I see my car. I wouldn't buy a car that wasn't supported by an established manufacturer. I feel the same way about my e-bike. While no company can make promises 10 years in the future, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. So, I went with a manufacturer who still supports their early e-bike models proudly, whose bikes don't rust away in e-bike graveyards. In 10 years, when my bike has 20,000+ miles on it (I have 1,000 miles on my bike from this season so far, so methinks I'll have 2,000 per year at least, more if I decide to commute in the winter) I want to be still riding my first e-bike. This, for me, was the appeal of a bike with a classic design from a well-established company.

I'll end this post with a photo from my 25 mile round-trip summer job commute today ... the Cross-Kirkland Corridor. Sorry the photo doesn't show the mountain or lake views! If you're ever in the Seattle area, it's a great place to cycle.
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 8.42.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 8.42.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Wow, what a beautiful place to ride! Lakes and mountains too? Now you're just rubbing it in. LOL I love that you love your ride!

Thanks to all who posted with their stories of why retail was a better fit for them. Good stuff.

As a consumer, my experience has always been to compare specs, figure out the options I really wanted, then narrow it down and look at reviews of my final choices. Willingly spending 35% more for retail is foreign to me, but thanks to your experiences, I understand and appreciate your needs much better and you've given me a lot to think about.

A pyramid looks like a triangle until you view it from another perspective.

Are you saying America currently has an edge at design, engineering, and support for eBikes? I sure don't see it! Could you mention the American companies that are currently leading the world with eBike design and engineering? Thanks.

No, I am not. It was more a statement about the US maintaining the human resources behind design, engineering, in general across the spectrum of innovation and manufacturing. It was not my intention to isolate the discussion solely about Ebikes, although I understand why someone might think that since I am commenting on an Ebike forum.

I apologize to the OP. We kinda hijacked the thread. I will post this topic over on the Hot Topics section of the forum.

When I ordered my Easy Motion in 2015, there were no local ebike shops in my area, so I had my bike shipped directly to a local sole proprietor cycle and scooter shop to have him do the assembly and check everything out for me to make sure all was ready to go. All I had to do was go pick the ebike up and load it on my hitch rack when he completed the assembly and made sure all systems were good and all parts were in good working order. That was an excellent choice since I have zero expertise and know nothing about bike maintenance (except needing to lube the chain, put air in the tires, and make sure there are no broken spokes, etc).

He had all the necessary tools and really enjoyed learning about ebikes. He even gave me a 'tour' of my ebike and how everything worked when I went to pick it up, since he had spent time with it and tested it. When it was time for the checkup/adjustments after riding the first couple of months I went back to him for that. I had him swap out the pedals for the Wellgo ones I purchased, do everything BH/Easy Motion recommends to get checked, and make the appropriate adjustments as needed. My rear light wasn't working so he found the connection issue and fixed that. I didn't get any negative ebike attitude like some do from LBS stores.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a well-known brand (like BH/Easy Motion or other quality eBike) online and have it shipped to an independent shop like I did with my Evo Street. Companies like BH/Easy Motion require a qualified bike mechanic or shop do the assembly, this is something they specify for warranty coverage. I've kept my receipts from the shop I used as proof. You can save $$$ on the purchase and still have a local independent mechanic do the maintenance.

So I called up two e-bike shops in the Baltimore/DC area today to see if they'd help with any service or repairs I did not have the time or skill to address. I got almost the exact same response from each. It went something like this:
  1. Electric bikes from "online retailers" are trash.
  2. Online retailers just "wander around China" buying up e-bikes and selling them to US consumers.
  3. It's impossible to get warranty help for the battery/motor, and anything other than Bosch/Shimano inevitably breaks, and they both had examples of Juiced bikes in their shops that "just don't work" (couldn't provide any more detail)
  4. Come on down to our shop and we'll help you (you poor misinformed soul) in finding a "real" e-bike
I'm assuming this just reflects the bias of brick-and-mortar shops that need to move inventory. I've gone through the Juiced forum on this site fairly extensively. It appears that customer support and warranty claims used to be sluggish but have seen considerable improvements recently. I also understand that there are some aspects of Juiced bikes that are not the highest quality (battery connector design seems to be a good example). However, given the price point, this seems to be a worthwhile compromise. The cost of a bike with equivalent specs from other, more mainstream groups appears to be several thousand dollars more, which is outside my budget.

Still—it was a bit dispiriting.

Robbie;

I'd echo the other comments on the overall quality of the Juiced CCS. I'm 78, retired from Orthopedic Surgery, and have about 700 miles on my CCS (about 3 months) with no problems at all. I also heard the same comments from shops near me, and, of some interest, I also lost the tail light. No other problems at all, and I'm absolutely convinced that you'd have no trouble with a 40 mile round trip commute and the 19.2 battery. I have the 12.8 and routinely end a 20 mile round trip commute averaging 18-20 mph and with 4-5 bars left. I haven't checked the remaining voltage but that would probably be a better measure.

The tiny residual concern is with long distance major service. I have no experience there, as I've had no problems, but my most recent experience with Juiced was yesterday when I called about the non-functioning tail light. They have none in stock, but indicate that they'll have replacements in a few days and will send. No argument on replacement (again, only about 3 months into the warranty). I guess I'll have to wait and see how things eventuate.

Simply stated, the bike makes me enjoy the exercise and get things done. I love it!

Back