Help choosing year-round commuter eBike for Wisconsin weather

Absolutely get the Ice Spiker tires or similar. I went down on black ice 18 months ago and my knee still hurts ! Ebikes and ice are a deadly combo. I decided to put the Schwalbe Winter marathon plus tires on my pedal bike and not use the Ebike when it is below freezing.
Rode all last winter on a set of the marathon plus on my non E great tire. Wish they made a set that fit my Stance E. Anybody use the ice spiker tire on the paved snowy roads for a commute?

I am new to eBikes, but I want to replace one of my vehicles with an electric bike that I can use year-round, rain and shine, snow and sleet. My biggest concern is salt and slush in the winter getting into the motor or battery. Rain doesn't bother me much. However, I don't want to invest in a nice $3000+ bike and then ruin it in a few years because of winter riding. I am strongly considering the Specialized Turbo Como 3.0 or 4.0 and the RadRover5. The closest bike shop to me is a Specialzed dealer, and I tested the Turbo Como 2 already and loved it. They didn't know about winter riding though. Apparently that's not real common here (Tomah, WI. Rural area). The bike shops I visited also seemed hesitant to endorse buying from Rad Power Bikes because of quality concerns. They said it was basically like taking a Walmart bike and throwing a motor on it, so "you get what you pay for." All the reviews of Rad Power Bikes that I've read have been positive, so I was surprised by that.

Anyway:
  • Does anyone have experienced with the Specialized Turbo Como bikes in snow and extreme cold (subzero)?
  • Should I buy a cheaper bike (like RadRover5) in the $1500-$2000 range instead of investing in a $3000+ bike?
  • What's the best year-round, all-weather commuting electric bike?
    • I weigh ~160 and am 5'9
    • My commute is ~10 miles round trip, but I would want to take it for ~30 mile round trips if necessary
    • There are lots of hills in the surrounding area
  • Do I even need an electric bike for winter? Should I just get a cheaper fat-tire exclusively for winter?

Thank you for your input!
Lets talk about your last question. I live in northern New Hampshire and rode all last winter on a non E regardless of weather so no but.... This winter I'm looking at riding my 2020 Stance E2 with clipless will see how it goes. One thing you must plan on doing is bring your ride in out of the cold daily and wash you bike at least once a week and lube it weather it is a E or not. Winter riding isn't for everyone but I enjoy it most of the time.

Rode all last winter on a set of the marathon plus on my non E great tire. Wish they made a set that fit my Stance E. Anybody use the ice spiker tire on the paved snowy roads for a commute?
I have both of those tires....the Spikers have bigger spikes and knobs and are great in the goo but very noisy on dry pavement. But any below freezing weather that is unsafe for a motorcycle is also too nasty for an Ebike.

I have both of those tires....the Spikers have bigger spikes and knobs and are great in the goo but very noisy on dry pavement. But any below freezing weather that is unsafe for a motorcycle is also too nasty for an Ebike.
Depend on the bike and the rider so for most that's true but not all just don't tell my wife🚩

Depend on the bike and the rider so for most that's true but not all just don't tell my wife🚩
Good luck to you riding below freezing. May I suggest you invest in knee and elbow pads and a helmet with chin protection. Or if you play hockey just wear your whole uniform. (-:

Just buy a cheep fatbike! something like a himiway would be perfect! ...or step up to a Biktrix Juggernaut, I ride my Juggernaut all year round, only did snow 3 three times, the bike was fine but studded tires are a must.
JUGGERNAUT Ultra 1000 is $2599

Last edited:
My biggest concern is salt and slush in the winter getting into the motor or battery.
Whatever bike you get, if you're worried about corrosion, get some ACF-50. It's a good, long-lasting, anti-corrosion compound designed by Lear for the aerospace industry, that's even safe to used on electronics. Just don't get it on your brake pads/discs.

Compared to other in..

If you properly clean your chain first, it can even be used as a chain lube - that last bit of advice I got from @Thomas Jaszewski :)

Well yesterday I rode Red Headed Stepchild in the middle of the Snow Storm clipped in dropped the power down to 3. I can see why some riders might ride acoustic in snow and ice. As for me I just keep her leashed in a little and ride.

Sub-zero weather´s gonna probably zap yur battery 20% or more no matter what you ride. I ride year ´round here, but it doesn´t get
nearly that cold. Maybe ya cud tape a couple hand warming packs to it:rolleyes:. I´d be riding my gas powered bike & probly need ether to start it.

Back