help choosing an ebike

Whitieiii

I did not deside to go out on a nomadic life quite yet and since I want to stay at home for now I have a greater selection of bikes to consider... some things I want to consider is I want to spend right around $1000 usd for a bike... I've been looking at Ecotrecs, Naktos, and Rad Power bikes but am open to other makes as well... I like something with both peddel assist (less motor for on the road) and a dedicated throttle (more motor for those times I want to go off road) so maybe a class 2? as for Washington state class 2 bikes are considered like a regular bike and can be on the roads, sidewalks, crosswalks and trails... I do like the looks of the Rad Rover, Ecotrec Rocket, Nakto Super Cruiser and Nakto Super Cruiser but open to other bikes as well... I just don't know the distance on them (or many others) and would like as close to 30 miles range (or more) in town/on the road as it's about 10 miles one way into town...

I hope to get into riding bikes again not only to get exercise but to save money on gas when going to different places around town.... Suggestions? Comments?

I, too, had begun my search looking to spend around $1000 on a bike, but quickly discovered that to get the quality and LBS support (I am not, and didn't want to become, a bike mechanic), and the mid-drive (after test riding hub and mid) I wanted, I was going to need to at least double my price point. Managed to get a deal on the bike I finally purchased, for around $1600, so didn't quite need to do that - but that deal was a fluke.

You may need to be more flexible in your price point 😉.

Oh, and don't buy a bike you haven't test- ridden yourself 😁.

I hope to get into riding bikes again not only to get exercise but to save money on gas when going to different places around town.... Suggestions? Comments?
The size of your body matters - bikes have to fit it. The terrain you have to cross matters. The speed you intend to ride matters. Those two aspects will determine if DD hub motor, geared hub motor, or mid drive is what you need. Speed will also determine tire size and suspension or not. distance you have to travel between charges matters, bigger batteries cost more. Whether you intend to shop off the bike or just ride for pleasure matters. I replaced my car with a bike. Many bikes have too skimpy a frame to allow even rear baskets to sit stably.
I carry a 6' cable & lock in the bag, that won't fit in most bikes. People in huge cities can use bike racks with a U lock or folding lock, I instead have to use power poles. Unlocked bikes will be stolen.
Whether you are serious about building up your strength and heart/lungs matters. Geared hub is best for that, also yamaha brose & shimano mid drives allow unpowered pedaling. DD hub and the ubiquitous bosch mid drive do not. I've had to pedal myself 25 miles to destination twice when 2 bargain batteries failed. You can't do that on the bikes that drag, you have to call a tow truck or friend with a big car. Some bikes have $850 replacement batteries, some $400. They last 500 to 1000 charge cycles only. You had better be a good mechanic with tools to buy rad or another internet only bike for example.
You should be able to find something in shops in Seattle for sure, possibly edmondton. they won't be $1000. I converted the existing bike above for about $920. That makes the bike free. I had to order the bike from 3000 miles away to fit my compact body and still carry groceries. The bike with bags, 2 leg stand that actually works, front basket that doesn't steer with the wheel, was $2000 by itself. Unlike rad, the wheel spokes don't need torque checking monthly. Unlike kiddie quality rad shifters, I only adjust the shifter about once a year. Because the motor doesn't use the chain, I got 5000 miles out of the first chain, instead of 500 miles some people with 11 speed chains are reporting. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I did on this bike.

Last edited:
How about buying a used ebike? Other posters have mentioned Bicycle Blue Book. You will gets higher quality components for your money.

Back