Help - Choosing a bike with a smooth e-assist feel

I am interested in a purchase primarily to get out more in the Florida sunshine. Local rides with friends (maybe 10 miles or so round trip), trips to the local store and back (maybe 5 miles round trip) and perhaps trips to the downtown coffee shops or library (maybe 16-20 miles round trip). I have always liked recreational biking but find myself concerned that I will get somewhere and not have the ability to get home without the e-bike assist). I have a few heart issues and would prefer not to put to much strain on it while still getting exercise.

I listed the bikes I have tried on the first post here and plan to ride three bikes this coming week (Copenhagen Wheel - 2nd try), Giant ? - 2nd try) and a Specialized option.

Just trying to find the bike that is best for me. Limited selection in the area which is why I have asked for comments and suggestions. I want it to ride as much like a regular bike as possible but still provide reasonable peddle assist.

Jim

Hey Friend
There are lots of facts, details, considerations, etc, but your ultimate goal is to get out and get exercise. I would suggest 3 considerations figure into your final choice.
1. The goal is to get in better shape and once you do you will want to go farther, explore more, use the bike more to improve other areas of your life so a comfortable bike is essential.
2. Fitness improvement is a goal so pick a bike that has as many assist levels as possible so you can tailor the assist to your fitness level. More assist at first and as your fitness improves you can reduce the assist.
3. Have Fun, as long as you pick a bike that you will/can use regularly it will all be Okay =D

Nice looking bike Jim!
Thanks. As I continue to ride longer distances, the Townie Commute was the right set up for me. Its still a somewhat relaxed riding position but less rolling resistance with the 28”x2” wheels. I have had it only a week and am looking forward to logging many miles and hours on the bike.

I am interested in a purchase primarily to get out more in the Florida sunshine. Local rides with friends (maybe 10 miles or so round trip), trips to the local store and back (maybe 5 miles round trip) and perhaps trips to the downtown coffee shops or library (maybe 16-20 miles round trip). I have always liked recreational biking but find myself concerned that I will get somewhere and not have the ability to get home without the e-bike assist). I have a few heart issues and would prefer not to put to much strain on it while still getting exercise.

I listed the bikes I have tried on the first post here and plan to ride three bikes this coming week (Copenhagen Wheel - 2nd try), Giant ? - 2nd try) and a Specialized option.

Just trying to find the bike that is best for me. Limited selection in the area which is why I have asked for comments and suggestions. I want it to ride as much like a regular bike as possible but still provide reasonable peddle assist.

Jim

Hello Jim.
I spend my winters in Southwest Florida. I wanted to purchase an ebike that could be serviced there and also back north in the summer months. That was one of several reasons why I purchased an Electra Townie Go. This brand is owned by Trek, which has a very large network of dealers in the USA and a high concentration of them in Florida. The Townie Go is a relaxed cruiser with balloon tires all stainless bolts and fittings—a big plus in coastal salt air, the Bosch Performance line motor with Intuvia Display. It is a great around town bike that is ideal for the type of riding that interests you.
I’m also partial to the Trek brand and owned several of them in the 90’s.
I bought the bike in Florida and put 1200 miles on it in less than four months. This is after not riding a bike for over 20 years. Of course Court has done a great review on this bike

Because it’s so hot in Florida you might appreciate a throttle in the summer. I got sick walking in Orlando Florida in the late summer and have no medical problems. I bet Floridians know how to stay safe during outdoor activity in the heat and humidity, though. ☀️ I’m a Californian and didn’t know what hit me.

Hi Jim,
I love my mid drive, but keep one thing in mind.
If you thought you needed or wanted to get home with no pedalling involved, then maybe a hub drive with a throttle would make a good choice.
Mid drives don't seem to offer this.
If you're OK with some light pedalling but all the time, then a mid drive is certainly a great choice.

Thanks for all the replies. will go out and look at options this week fueled with new ideas and things to look for.

Jim

I don't have a mid-drive so I can't speak on that. Hub drives can feel very natural if they have a torque sensor like mine does. I have the Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. It is so smooth. It has the ability to disable the torque sensor and ride on pedal assist alone. I have tried it a couple of times, and honestly I was surprised at how smooth the cadence sensor was, but going back to the torque sensor was a revelation. If the mid-drives are smoother than that, then they must be very smooth indeed.

You said you tried Pedego, but did you ride the new Conveyor? It’s the smoothest pedaling ebike I’ve ever ridden. The belt drive and Brose motor are so slick. No chain! My wife and I own a Pedego store, so we can take any Pedego we want, but my wife’s ride of choice is the Conveyor!

On the downside, it doesn’t have a throttle, so you can’t ride on power alone, which is a nice option to have, especially for people with medical issues.

Oh, and speaking of throttles, someone mentioned that mid-drives with throttles are hard to find. The Pedego City Commuter comes in a mid-drive version with a throttle.

Oh, and speaking of throttles, someone mentioned that mid-drives with throttles are hard to find.

Why do you think that's so?

One ebike line that interested me was the Electra Townie line, but no throttles.

I have no regrets because I think a hub drive was a better choice for me (less maintenance needed), and that I'm better off without the crank-forward design (I like standing on pedals once in a while to make riding more comfortable), but I'm just curious because a throttle is a helpful feature, both for those with certain physical limitations and also the throttle is great for moving the bike if the chain falls off, to get to a location where it's level safe to flip the bike over to get the chain back on!

Why do you think that's so?

One ebike line that interested me was the Electra Townie line, but no throttles.

I have no regrets because I think a hub drive was a better choice for me (less maintenance needed), and that I'm better off without the crank-forward design (I like standing on pedals once in a while to make riding more comfortable), but I'm just curious because a throttle is a helpful feature, both for those with certain physical limitations and also the throttle is great for moving the bike if the chain falls off, to get to a location where it's level safe to flip the bike over to get the chain back on!
It may have been me and my admittedly shortish 4 week researching before purchase.
I just didn't see many mid drive throttles.
As stated above they exist, so I apologize if I insinuated that they were hard to find!

You said you tried Pedego, but did you ride the new Conveyor? It’s the smoothest pedaling ebike I’ve ever ridden. The belt drive and Brose motor are so slick. No chain! My wife and I own a Pedego store, so we can take any Pedego we want, but my wife’s ride of choice is the Conveyor!

On the downside, it doesn’t have a throttle, so you can’t ride on power alone, which is a nice option to have, especially for people with medical issues.

Oh, and speaking of throttles, someone mentioned that mid-drives with throttles are hard to find. The Pedego City Commuter comes in a mid-drive version with a throttle.
Have not tried this and thanks for the info. I am afraid it is above the dollar amount I had planned to spend. I am more comfortable in the 2 to 3 thousand range rather than 5.
Jim

Nice comfortable ebike , but there is a shifting lag/delay from the Internal Gear Hub .
Easy Motion Adam
Do own one of these or have ridden it? Calling a dealer on Monday to see if he any in stock to try. Looks like this may be a good choice. The dealer's website says he has a few demos on the 2017 non pro at a substantial discount. At the movement the front runner in my search is the Giant Quick E+.

Jim

Easy Motion Adam
Do own one of these or have ridden it? Calling a dealer on Monday to see if he any in stock to try. Looks like this may be a good choice. The dealer's website says he has a few demos on the 2017 non pro at a substantial discount. At the movement the front runner in my search is the Giant Quick E+.

Jim

I rode one at an eBike expo earlier this year .
It’s a very comfortable natural upright ride except for the delay of the 8 speed internal hub switching gears .

I have a Cube Reaction Pro Allroad with the Bosch Performance CX motor. I find the power assist in EMTB mode is very natural. As a bonus the bike is very nimble and handles extremely well.

Back