Help an old fat fart find a bike!

Well I rode two today. Started with the Trek PowerFly 5. Should not have started at that price point of 4K!

It was PAS only but for my fist time on an Ebike I came back like a kid at Christmas! Grinning from ear-to-ear!

Then my Anti-E son and I rented two bikes for an hour. I got on a beatup Fat Cat with a 350W motor fat tire.

Again, kid in a candy store even on this bike. It would not pull me up much of hill without assist.

We rode for an hour and I found myself turning down the PAS more and more and still having a great time!

So this solidified two things...1. definetly want a fat tire, I didn't feel like it rolled any harder etc. Loved the fat tire.
2. I want the 750 watt motor. My kid was on a 500w 750 peak(question about that later).

And the Fat Cat was kinda of different, front hub drive, but it kinda of leads me to believe if you do a little research you probably can't go wrong with a bike like Radrover or M2s since they are all basically the same components.

AND my Anti-E kid was shocked! He loved em too!

The first time you feel that little kick in the pants as the motor gives that first hint of boost is a definite grin!

Hook has been set. Now it's about what the new bike is going to look like.....

When we rented the ebikes the guy said one was a 500 watt nominal motor with a 750 peak wattage.
So it got me thinking when you see a 750 watt motor spec is that a 500W motor peaking at 750?

If it specs 750W what are you really getting?

When we rented the ebikes the guy said one was a 500 watt nominal motor with a 750 peak wattage.
So it got me thinking when you see a 750 watt motor spec is that a 500W motor peaking at 750?

If it specs 750W what are you really getting?

Unfortunately, without reading reviews you don't really know. Rating methods are all over the ball park. Some with some logic behind them, others meant to sell bikes.

Most commonly, a peak rating means you can run that wattage until it overheats (which you can plan on). Great for supplying extra power for temporary conditions like hills. Nominal rating means it should be able to run at that wattage indefinitely (under most conditions).

Well I rode two today. Started with the Trek PowerFly 5. Should not have started at that price point of 4K!

It was PAS only but for my fist time on an Ebike I came back like a kid at Christmas! Grinning from ear-to-ear!

Then my Anti-E son and I rented two bikes for an hour. I got on a beatup Fat Cat with a 350W motor fat tire.

Again, kid in a candy store even on this bike. It would not pull me up much of hill without assist.

We rode for an hour and I found myself turning down the PAS more and more and still having a great time!

So this solidified two things...1. definetly want a fat tire, I didn't feel like it rolled any harder etc. Loved the fat tire.
2. I want the 750 watt motor. My kid was on a 500w 750 peak(question about that later).

And the Fat Cat was kinda of different, front hub drive, but it kinda of leads me to believe if you do a little research you probably can't go wrong with a bike like Radrover or M2s since they are all basically the same components.

AND my Anti-E kid was shocked! He loved em too!

Trek is not pas only it has a good torque sensor.

If you are into diy and ok with purchasing online in my opinion Juiced offers a significantly better bike than Rad Rover. Hydraulic brakes and Torque sensor (and I believe juiced also have an air fork) are very important improvements.

When you have a torque sensor you don't need to play with the power level as much since it gives you proportional support. It doesn't have the on/off feeling instead feels quite natural.

Just my 0.01 cents...

So on say a RadRover if you get a 750W motor is that nominal or peak?

You're entering into an area where there's some debate. There's a You Tube video that you might want to check out for a little better understanding regarding the debate. Just keep in mind there are GOBS of Rover owners who are very happy with the performance of their bikes. But you asked, so.....

This gentleman also offers a plug and play kit to increase the available performance of a stock Rover. Most customers of that "kit" are pretty happy with them (maybe an understatement). There's a string here with more discussion, some by yours truly. :cool: Might take a bit to get through all of it.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radrover-controller-display-upgrade-kit.27089/

Juiced was on my short list a week ago...maybe I need to revisit them? Man how to ever make a decision and pull the trigger?

I think at some point you just need to make a leap of faith.

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I mentioned that a very good plan when looking at something with a price point like this, is to buy one, assemble it carefully, and ride the heck out of it for at least a month to learn what you can do. Give yourself some time to get used to the bike! There IS a learning curve.

Then fix whatever you aren't happy with.

In the case of the stock motor, if it doesn't do the job for you, there's that kit, there's the bigger motor (the real 750w), and there's an even bigger motor. Even with the price of that kit, and a bigger motor, you're still going to have a pretty reasonably priced bike that's going to be able to hang right in there with bikes costing several times as much when it comes to speed.

I think at some point you just need to make a leap of faith.

I'm not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but I mentioned that a very good plan when looking at something with a price point like this, is to buy one, assemble it carefully, and ride the heck out of it for at least a month to learn what you can do. Give yourself some time to get used to the bike! There IS a learning curve.

Then fix whatever you aren't happy with.

In the case of the stock motor, if it doesn't do the job for you, there's that kit, there's the bigger motor (the real 750w), and there's an even bigger motor. Even with the price of that kit, and a bigger motor, you're still going to have a pretty reasonably priced bike that's going to be able to hang right in there with bikes costing several times as much when it comes to speed.
All good points.. And I think what is going to put me over the top for Rad is I can rent/ride one.
That helps me with the leap of faith.

Is it just me or does it seem like so many of these ebike companies are taking the same frame putting a Bafang on it and hanging various components off it and then branding it as theirs?

I think there is some of that going on. That's actually the type bike I prefer, as getting replacement parts a few years down the road, or possibly after the company folds, is a pretty easy deal as they're generally built using their own assortment of off the shelf parts. You purchased from them, but the parts are available everywhere you look. A typical part might be a "shark" battery pack, a DNP 11-32 free wheel assembly, Shimano components, etc. etc. etc.

What sucks is when you find a bike you like, and it's built using a lot of proprietary parts (like the battery pack for instance). That's stuff that can be a real pain to deal with later on if/when service becomes necessary. This is true especially when forced to deal with bike shops for service work You get a "so sorry" when they can't get the part and send you packing. That's my take anyway. -Al

Rode a Bintelli M1 today. A somewhat LBS had them. It is just an entry level bike with worse specs then the RadRover.
10Ah battery
Shimano Tourney derailer
No front suspnsion

$1699 with $100 freight and setup charge.

RadRover is still tops on the list.

old fart here as well. just pulled the trigger on my first e bike and warranty and store where I got it were the deciding factor.
just look on this forum to see the number of makes out there. could drive you crazy.

Rode the RadRover for two hours today. I was a little surprised how big it was!

I'm 5'9" and it was a little uncomfortable standing over the bike. I could do it but my first thought was if I have heavy hunting clothes on it might be a problem.
I'm fat, but throttle alone did not pull me up a couple hills I tried.

Fit and finish was a lot better in person than I thought. The ride was a blast and comfortable.

The derailer was skippy in the middle gears but I would not call that a Rad problem, more like an adjustment issue.
Brakes are mechanical disc and did find stopping my fat arse.

The only what I would say is a real knock, is the 20mph governor. When you hit 20 mph the motor kicks out and does not come back on until you are well below 20mph.
I don't know if that is common with all ebikes but it was a pain a couple of times.

All in all I really liked it for an $1400 ebike.

20 mph is the law, but it's not well enforced if you are inclined to go a little faster. It's plenty fast enough here though!

So you are not concerned about the amount of hill climbing power available?
You already know about the kits available to help fix that.
Wondering if the tires were inflated to the proper level for somebody at your weight? If not, that might be some performance being left on the table.

Well I was sold on the RadRover, but BikTrix has the Juggernaut Classic with a 750 watt mid drive for not a lot more.
Looks like its a more powerful motor for about $400 more.

And then there is the Juggernaut HD with the 1000W. But is that worth $1000 more?

Journey is over, now it's just the waiting!!!!

Just bought a BikTrix Juggernaut Classic. Pre-order was $1999 I got a 5% of coupon so out the door for
$1899! I figured the 750 mid drive was a better setup and included fenders and rack.
And what really sold me was Roshan. I asked a question on their website and HE literally answered it at 10PM!

Another thing, when I was thinking RadRover the first thing I did was Google Rad upgrades! That was a clue for me!!!

Report Edit Delete

Back