Helmets- full face?

What do you think about this one?

Sorry, I haven't seen one in the flesh. I'm not sure if the " dual density strata foam" is just sponge or a d30 like impact hardening substance? I'm a big fan if d30 et al - next best thing to avoiding crashes.

Those forearm pads look to be held in place by an even less secure strap?

I realise not everyone has the luxury, but there is a lot to be said for trying on armour and making sure if fits you / having a think about how it works rather than buying online.

That Troy Lee armor is the one I was riding when I broke my shoulder. It's a soft shell. I believed the hype you reiterated. Previous to my fateful ride in the Troy Lee armor I fell on my shoulder in the Chinese armor you just disparaged, not a scratch. The Chinese armor has a hard shell plus a soft shell instead of just a soft shell. If you ever take a hard fall, I think you will find yourself wishing you had something hard like your helmet on the afflicted body part instead of just a seat cushion.

These guys are wearing the same Chinese armor.

What do you suppose happened to this rider between two rides?

That Troy Lee armor is the one I was riding when I broke my shoulder. It's a soft shell. I believed the hype you reiterated. Previous to my fateful ride in the Troy Lee armor I fell on my shoulder in the Chinese armor you just disparaged, not a scratch. The Chinese armor has a hard shell plus a soft shell instead of just a soft shell. If you ever take a hard fall, I think you will find yourself wishing you had something hard like your helmet on the afflicted body part instead of just a seat cushion.

These guys are wearing the same Chinese armor.

What do you suppose happened to this rider between two rides?

So when you " believed the hype" - did you read the fine print? A bit if research answers my previous question - dual density strata foam is a light weight sponge - NOT impact hardening.

Why haven't hockey players and football players switched to leatt soft shell armour?
Do you think that a cyclist can't possibly be subjected to the same shoulder impact as these athletes?

Why haven't hockey players and football players switched to leatt soft shell armour?
Do you think that a cyclist can't possibly be subjected to the same shoulder impact as these athletes?

Confused...our football athletes would never get shoulder injuries...
1415756C-E517-4081-9368-F1C8096A899B.jpeg

I use dickies polyester/cotton work clothes & poly/cotton $1 work gloves. Those protected my skinadequately in the 25 mph accident 11/17.
These are terrific...super tough, light and breathable, very adjustable and have patches and reinforcements. I bought 3 of them so far and I only stopped buying more because I think they'll never wear out. In winter just lightweight sweatpants and these...never get wet or cold. I wore them every single time I went out until the weather got very hot.
These Dickies are the most bad *ss clothes, their catalog has so much better than what Walmart carries of their stuff.

I have crashed motorcycles and snowmobiles and thankfully wearing full face, mostly modular. But I want the full helmet (modular) for this electric bike as well.
Last time I found loose gravel on a round-a-bout the helmet was totaled, a concussion but nothing else. Other than broken shoulder, arm, left ribs and collapse lung. 5 weeks in the hospital. But that full face helmet saved my life.
Thanks Timpo for the links.
Rich

Thanks again. But I do wonder why the brim on bicycle helmets always sticks out so much and so high.
Maybe with the weather changing here in northeast Wisconsin I may be better off with the heavy/solid motorcycle modular with face mask for a while. Besides with a war damaged leg I mainly use the throttle. Not much pedaling.
Rich

For trail and gravel riding, I have a Bell MIPS full face helmet with removeable chin guard. It has the fidlock, magnetic clasp and is very well made. The visor is also removeable.

For trail and gravel riding, I have a Bell MIPS full face helmet with removeable chin guard. It has the fidlock, magnetic clasp and is very well made. The visor is also removeable.

The same here. For similar purposes. The helmet is very well ventilated.

1634500859805.png

I value the extra feeling of safety when dramatic downhill road rides are expected, too.

I've gone over the handlebars twice in 6 years of e-bike commuting in the city. First time had a regular bike helmet, and broke my jaw (no other part of my head made contact with the ground). 2nd time was last week, wearing full face HJC RPHA X I bought shortly after first accident. Saved my jaw this time around.

Researching what replacement helmet to buy, it seems like another motocross one will be better than a motorcycle one, but (something I hadn't thought of before) based on what I'm reading it seems like it might a good idea to remove the visor? So that there's less that can "catch" on the pavement in the case of an accident, and the helmet will slide along more smoothly like an aerodynamic motorcycle helmet would?

FWIW I also use the same helmet when snowboarding... while worrying and weighing the advantages of having face protection against the potential damage the cold may doing to the helmet..

Last edited:
I've gone over the handlebars twice in 6 years of e-bike committing in the city. First time had a regular bike helmet, and broke my jaw (no other part of my head made contact with the ground). 2nd time was last week, wearing full face HJC RPHA X I bought shortly after first accident. Saved my jaw this time around.

Researching what replacement helmet to buy, it seems like another motocross one will be better than a motorcycle one, but (something I hadn't thought of before) based on what I'm reading it seems like it might a good idea to remove the visor? So that there's less that can "catch" on the pavement in the case of an accident, and the helmet will slide along more smoothly like an aerodynamic motorcycle helmet would?

FWIW I also use the same helmet when snowboarding... while worrying and weighing the advantages of having face protection against the potential damage the cold may doing to the helmet..

remove the PEAK not the visor ( screen) - there was a study on neck injuries in an asian country a few years back and they compared full face vs open face statustics. The full face had lLOWER rates of neck injuries, and it was postulated that the smooth frontal surface of a ROAD full face motorbike helmet helps.

The subgroup of adv lids might be worth looking at, in particular klim make an ultralight ( for motorbike) lid witha carbon fiblecshell, reasonable ( mx style) ventilation, andit can be used in road mode - ie without peak but with visor.

Personally, I'm more than happy with my bell convertible bike lids . I've just crash tested my bell super - VERY happy, but I'll be buying the super air to replace it because it's lighter and better ventilated ( Australian summers)

Thanks for the info. June '21 I crashed my gas scouter at 10mph and destroyed my modular full face. Broken shoulder, arm, torn artery, collapsed lung and concussion. Full face Bell helmet was destroyed. Lost drivers license for life.
I don't care if the uniformed don't like it. They have saved me in other motorcycle incidents caused by others.

Thanks for the info. June '21 I crashed my gas scouter at 10mph and destroyed my modular full face. Broken shoulder, arm, torn artery, collapsed lung and concussion. Full face Bell helmet was destroyed. Lost drivers license for life.
I don't care if the uniformed don't like it. They have saved me in other motorcycle incidents caused by others.

Similar experience - I had a relatively low speed incident putting my motorbike away in the shed . I'm normally atgat , but this was just putting the bike in the shed ata brisk walking speed and no armor etc. An hours helicopter ride to a trauma centre later... multiple fractured ribs , punctured lung, broken shoulder, five brocken bones in my foot, and I was very glad to throw away $1000 of motorbike helmet because it did what it needed to.

Now, I've bounced down rocky cliffs after miscalculating that subtle interaction between skill and physics....I've tested the abrasion resistance of leather at race track speed, and I've kicked sand dunes in remote dessert locations. Some serious technology in protective gear kept me riding long enough to have a stupid slip.

So we have 3 full face bike helmets in the house - my daughters leatt and a bell each for my son and I.

remove the PEAK not the visor ( screen) - there was a study on neck injuries in an asian country a few years back and they compared full face vs open face statustics. The full face had lLOWER rates of neck injuries, and it was postulated that the smooth frontal surface of a ROAD full face motorbike helmet helps.

The subgroup of adv lids might be worth looking at, in particular klim make an ultralight ( for motorbike) lid witha carbon fiblecshell, reasonable ( mx style) ventilation, andit can be used in road mode - ie without peak but with visor.

Personally, I'm more than happy with my bell convertible bike lids . I've just crash tested my bell super - VERY happy, but I'll be buying the super air to replace it because it's lighter and better ventilated ( Australian summers)
Thanks! Just to clarify, you're saying to avoid a pointed MX-style peak, but I should still have a rounded off motorcycle-style chin bar, right? To have something to protect my jaw

Thanks! Just to clarify, you're saying to avoid a pointed MX-style peak, but I should still have a rounded off motorcycle-style chin bar, right? To have something to protect my jaw

Correct - at least that's what the study suggests.

NB I keep the peak on for both my motorbike and mountain bike helmets because I personally believe I am less likely to crash if I have the option of using the peak for shade / glare reduction / dodging spider webs etc. One day I might regret that.

A small 'peak' down low would be fine. But, all I've found at stores are large and up high to scoop in air, etc.. While the chin bar is way out there. The ones online are difficult to judge but it's the only way to get one as the stores don't carry men's sizes or anything out of style. Due to things out of my control the electric (non-PAS) is my only way of travel so I can do only a little peddling. And do to hazardous conditions - protection is most necessary.
I used to wear modular helmets for motorcycling and snowmobile but they are too heavy.

The visor is removable from my Fox Rampage, but when I tried that I was staring into the sun all the time. Mostly I ride in afternoons, and sun angle is low much of the time. Holding hand in front of my face for hours is painful at my age (71). I'm going to put a spot attached to a laundry clip to attach to visor to block sun the way a visor does in a car.
As for crash damage caused by a visor, I've never in 64 years of riding hit the top, sides, or back of my head. I've hit the chin 6 times. Arms & legs more than that. I have the reaction time to adjust my body 2 or 3 times as I fall (off a bike at 10 mph). My ancestors hunted deer on wet rocks for a living. People that couldn't prevent limb breaks in the inevitable fall didn't feed their children.
I've never seen a ventilated bike helmet with chin guard in a store. Most bike parts catalogs don't have them. I tried to buy one 6 months before I broke my chin, but could only find solid motorcycle helmets. Secret search term was "downhill mountain bike racing helmet". I bought mine from a website that stocks nothing else that I need. My helmet has 6 vents, covered by steel mesh to keep the tree branches over the sidewalk out. I don't have trouble with sweat in July-August.

Last edited:
For any UK peeps there is currently £130 off 7idp Project 23 Carbon helmets in certain colours/sizes (xs in black, l and xl in blue black) cracking helmet, i've done summer and winter in it, in summer it's like wearing air conditioning, great for winter too (i wear a helmet liner) paired with decent goggles i'm impervious to weather.

Back