Helmets- full face?

A small 'peak' down low would be fine. But, all I've found at stores are large and up high to scoop in air, etc.. While the chin bar is way out there. The ones online are difficult to judge but it's the only way to get one as the stores don't carry men's sizes or anything out of style. Due to things out of my control the electric (non-PAS) is my only way of travel so I can do only a little peddling. And do to hazardous conditions - protection is most necessary.
I used to wear modular helmets for motorcycling and snowmobile but they are too heavy.

the bell super has a nice and short peak that is easy to adjust to suit the sun / speed etc. It's not as well ventilated as their super air , but it's still a really good helmet. My bell super is 3 years old, hopefully it's replacement super air should arrive later this week and I can start bragging

Part of the reason MX lids have a high peak is to allow a gap between the peak and the helmet - this promotes laminar flow at high speed so ironically a big high peak seems to have less buffeting than a short one placed too close to the helmet. I don't go fast enough on my emtb to notice this - it's usually around 100 kph that you can feel the difference

I've never seen a ventilated bike helmet with chin guard in a store. Most bike parts catalogs don't have them. I tried to buy one 6 months before I broke my chin, but could only find solid motorcycle helmets. Secret search term was "downhill mountain bike racing helmet". I bought mine from a website that stocks nothing else that I need. My helmet has 6 vents, covered by steel mesh to keep the tree branches over the sidewalk out. I don't have trouble with sweat in July-August.

I find bike shops near MTB parks are the best place to find full face lids on the shelves - so In Victoria (Australia) the shops in Bright are awesome - it's a tourist town at the base of the alps - so MTB riding/ paragliding/ ski fields/ bushwalking etc . I guess that if you have a weeks holiday planned around MTB riding and manage to destroy the lid on day 1 , then it's nice having a shop with them in stock?

I was able to try on a couple of different leatts, the fox, and the bell range - all in a store in a small town with a population of under 3000 !!!!

Bing reports my nearest MTB park is 47 miles from Manhattan or 780 miles from here. Next nearest is Vermont or 980 miles from here.
You gotta bag Bing. You have several nice MTB in Indiana! I counted 20!
search the phrase, mountain bike parks Indiana

BING SEARCH

Attachments

• mountain bike parks indiana - Google Search.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,463
I need dealers close by. It's why I ride an electric bike.
I just received a BELL Super Air Full Face. The visor and chin bar are removable and it's a good fit. The visor doesn't provide shading. It should be great for summer but not for this time of year. It's as well slotted as my GIRO summer. I wish it could be more solid like my GIRO with ear flaps and vents that are blockable. I will have to go look for a head cover for inside the helmet like I wore on snowmobiles.
The BELL came with a strange device the appears like it snaps onto something and is boltable to something else. Any ideas what it's for. About half the size of my foldable cell phone.

GoPro is a small action camera some folks use to record their activities. A lot of higher end helmets come with a mount for these devices.

2021 bell super air mips gopro mount.jpg

I just received a BELL Super Air Full Face. It should be great for summer but not for this time of year. It's as well slotted as my GIRO summer. I wish it could be more solid like my GIRO with ear flaps and vents that are blockable. I will have to go look for a head cover for inside the helmet like I wore on snowmobiles.
I wear a welder's helmet liner inside my helmet in cold weather. Available at welding shops or industrial supplies like grainger or mcmaster. https://www.grainger.com/search/saf...true&searchQuery=helmet+liner&categoryIndex=1 Below 10 deg F I block the chin vent with saran wrap.

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't believe the camera mount will ever be used but I will definitely try the helmet liner. Both warm and cold weather types.

In late 2016 I decided to add a chin guard to my Bell Super 3 to make it a Super3R. At the time I thought I would only wear it when things got hairy on my commute. Like riding at night. I didn't want to look like a geek. I immediately discovered the ventilation on the Super3 was amazing vs. my previous Bell Urban. I ride in up to 110 fahrenheit (in the shade) weather, with the days commonly registering over 100 here. The visor allowed me to clamp my mirror boom onto it so my mirror provided an in-frame, rock-solid rear view even riding downhill at high speeds. I soon decided it was too much trouble to disconnect and reconnect the chin bar. Screw what other people think lets leave it on all the time.

IMG_20171201_070317.jpg

Winter rolled around and in December of 2017 I was t-boned by an inattentive motorist. Went over the car (thankfully I was not hit squarely and my leg was free of the impact, so I could fly forward) and landed on my head some 20 feet down the road (impact was approximately 15-20 mph). As my body rolled over with just my head in contact with the ground as I slid along, I felt MIPS do its job and my head rotated with my body while my helmet's attitude' stayed the same. After that, I came down on my back (wearing a backpack protected my spine and also contributed to spraining/stretching ... everything in my shoulders, spine and pelvis ... when I hammered down). From there I flopped around before coming to a stop. My vision in one eye was strangely blurry. This is why:

IMG_20171212_222228.jpg

I was wearing those at the time, so as I rolled/flopped/skidded to a stop, my face did some skidding along the ground and got so close to it that happened to my eyeglass lens, but not so much it scored the eyeglass frame. So that right there is my anecdotal proof that the chin bar did a great job.

My face was untouched by the tarmac. Helmet was smashed pretty good though.

IMG_20171212_220007.jpg

I recovered, mostly. Immediately bought another Super3R. It lasted me until January of 2021 when I decided that advancing tech had gotten to a point where I wanted an upgrade. The Bell Super DH had upgraded the MIPS sliding membrane with an entire rotating inner styro shell. This helmet is meant to get bashed on hard and I did not really see any difference in how it was laid out except - thanks to that inner shell versus just thin plastic - it was a physically bigger helmet in its diameter which gave it a specific kind of look. And its heavier than the 3R by a fair bit. Not noticeable wearing it, but you feel it holding the thing.
The_Great_Gazoo[1].png

Still, its a safer helmet and has plenty of ventilation on super hot days. In Sep of 2021, needing a helmet that stays at my home (separated from my work residence by a couple hours), I bought a Super Air on a big discount (goofy color) and added the Air R chinbar to it. This is sort of the gen2 of the inner-liner style of MIPS and its a clear improvement. Gone is the Gazoo sized diameter and that inner liner is much thinner. It feels as light as my 3R. Absolutely the best helmet on my shelf.

These are not motorcycle helmets. Motorcycle helmets are like sticking your head in an oven. Especially if its hot where you live and you pedal for exercise.

I tape over my forward facing and chin bar air vents in the winter with blue painter's tape, A watch cap under the helmet like an Under Armour (thin) cap for the winter. Worst case a full USGI tanker nomex balaclava.

I wear a welder's helmet liner inside my helmet in cold weather. Available at welding shops or industrial supplies like grainger or mcmaster. https://www.grainger.com/search/saf...true&searchQuery=helmet+liner&categoryIndex=1 Below 10 deg F I block the chin vent with saran wrap.
Wind proof balaclava below 32F. No fog ski googles, snow board helmet. Fat head is hard to fit. XXL can be hens teeth. I never thought of a welders cap. I like it. I used to wear one in my Papanese hard hat. Real protection.

I’m again wondering how bike helmets are better than ANSI rated construction helmet. Mins ha 4 point straps like this. Any able to compare the various ratings!

Construction Hard Hat With Visor Ansi Z89.1 Approved Safety Helmet 6point Ratche

Wind proof balaclava below 32F. No fog ski googles, snow board helmet. Fat head is hard to fit. XXL can be hens teeth. I never thought of a welders cap. I like it. I used to wear one in my Papanese hard hat. Real protection.

I’m again wondering how bike helmets are better than ANSI rated construction helmet. Mins ha 4 point straps like this. Any able to compare the various ratings!

Construction Hard Hat With Visor Ansi Z89.1 Approved Safety Helmet 6point Ratche

Does that have a rotational injury reduction system similar to MIPS?

I think it boils down to the ventilation, not the impact protection. For sure I can get more head protection with different types of helmets but those Bell helmets I'm talking about breathe well when I am exercising in the hot summer and pouring body heat up off the top of my noodle. I had a Bell Urban (for the added occiputal lobe protection) and did not realize how bad I had it until the first day I wore a Super 3 and oh my god was I ever immediately sorry I didn't bail on the poorly ventilated bicycle helmet a long time ago.

If I was just sitting and throttling and not exercising, a more solid lid would make a lot more sense.

I would prefer a light weight bike helmet that was far less ventilated, modular with a chin bar that was not sticking way out there and ear covering. Just like my motorcycle helmets but lite enough for the bicycle riding. But the manufacturers insist on only providing for there down hill racers and such. What about the safety of the real world?

I would prefer a light weight bike helmet that was far less ventilated, modular with a chin bar that was not sticking way out there and ear covering. Just like my motorcycle helmets but lite enough for the bicycle riding. But the manufacturers insist on only providing for there down hill racers and such. What about the safety of the real world?

I agree, it'd be nice if manufacturers built full face road cycling helmets - but it's a tiny market segment that will even consider them - nb the road cyclists on here are only using them because they are being preached to by the converted ( sorry for the pun)

The convertible full face lids are NOT designed for down hill racers - they don't even pass the dh racing regs- they became popular for " enduro" racing because these riders have to wander back up hill in an untimed section then get timed down hill - so they remove the chin bar uphill.

They just happen to be spectacular mtb lids - great protection, reasonable ventilation in full face mode and almost normal ventilation in open face mode.

Both bell lids have chin protection that doesn't protrude excessively , but the super air DOES NOT cover the ears ( ie the ears have an opening so you can hear ) .

Bell Super air on left, regular bell super on right.

52BA0793-2B1C-49EF-B7FD-C42D05F3A413.jpeg

Back