Helmets- full face?

catherineG123

Which type of helmet should I consider for a class 2 or class 3 e-bike? I have the standard bike helmet, but I need something better as I want it to to cover my face as well as my skull.

What type of helmet (mountain bike, motorcycle, or...) do I look for? What is your favorite helmet and why?

Last edited:
I also thought about getting a full face helmet, but decided against it. I like to ride on the bike paths and I'd rather avoid getting glares from people that may mistakenly think that I'm riding a high speed ebike that shouldn't be ridden on paths, event hough half the time, I don't even use the motor.

This is the one I was eyeing for a while. It come with an internal built in sun visor that can be retracted and it's pretty well priced.

Which type of helmet should I consider for a class 2 or class 3 e-bike? I have the standard bike helmet, but I need something better as I want it to to cover my face as well as my skull.

What type of helmet do I look for? What is your favorite helmet and why?

I would not recommend full-face helmets unless you are considering Enduro or Downhill EMTB... they are very hot on a summer day.

Take a look at the MIPS rated helmets that provide more rear coverage for the back of the head... almost all-mountain bike helmets.

1593406763358.png

Last edited:
Helmets.org says if you want a helmet with a chinbar to look for helmets rated to the ASTM F1952 standard https://helmets.org/f1952standard.htm
This is a downhill mtb helmet standard, and if a helmet has a chin bar and is F1952 rated that means the chinbar will have been impact tested. You can search helmets.org list of 2020 helmets for the keyword F1952 to see a list of helmets so tested https://helmets.org/helmet20.htm

Helmets.org says if you want a helmet with a chinbar to look for helmets rated to the ASTM F1952 standard https://helmets.org/f1952standard.htm
This is a downhill mtb helmet standard, and if a helmet has a chin bar and is F1952 rated that means the chinbar will have been impact tested. You can search helmets.org list of 2020 helmets for the keyword F1952 to see a list of helmets so tested https://helmets.org/helmet20.htm

The standard measures deflection and there are arguments it is not relevant outside of mtb racing. Eg For urban use, it might be more important to have good peripheral vision rather than rock impact pritection?

There are some fantastic well ventilated lids out there, including some lighter ones that are convertible so can be used open on hot days.

My daughter loves her leatt dbx https://www.leatt.com/shop/catalog/...t-dbx-3-0-enduro-v2-black-white/category/766/. Light, well ventilated

I have a bell super 3 - a bit more conservative but not quite as well ventilated https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-3r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000059.html

If you don't need convertible , the fox pro frame us excellent https://www.foxracing.com/mtb/mens/helmets/proframe/

I've been over the handlebars 5 times in 59 years, I hit my chin every time. I never hit the top or side of my head. Last time I broke the chin, and jaw was wired shut during thanksgiving, christmas, and new years. A real nuisance.
I wear a fox rampage from competitivecycle.com . It is nicely ventilated, as compared with the motorcycle helmets google & bing kept showing me. somebody on here told me the secret search term was "downhill mountain bike racing helmet". I've never raced any vehicle in my life, but using that search term is the only way to see these.

Over the years I've worked with local youth groups that focus on cycling. On one Summer ride one young man showed up with a full face helmet. We took off but at about the 1/2 way mark he was showing signs of heat stress and had to stop the ride. The others all had conventional vented helmets and were are all able to finish. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend a full face helmet simply for the lack of ventilation.

As a minimum I would recommend a hemet with the new MIPS suspension system. My wife and I both use MIPS helmets.

There is also a new ebike helmet standard that is intended to offer more protection at the higher ebike speeds. There's a thread on this here; https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/helmet-for-class-3-e-bike.32930/ . A list of helmets certified to this new standatd is pubished here; https://www.nen.nl/Standardization/Certification/SpeedPedelec-Helmet/Certified-Helmets.htm . I'd be using one of these helmets myself if it weren't for my super-sized head! I need a super-sized helmet to match..😕

I wear my full face motorcycle helmet during the summer on my motorcycle. HJC CL-17, which isn't the most ventilated helmet on the market, but it does have an okay ventilation for what it is.

At 30mph, I can get a pretty good ventilation and makes the ride quite bearable even in the summer. That's with visor closed.

But you are not physically exerting yourself riding a motorcycle.

Search BMX Helmets also. Who cares about looks? Where I live they stare if your wearing a face mask. Do what makes YOU feel safest.

Great subject! I want a full face helmet but I settled on a hi-viz orange MIPS instead so that I don't 'stand out' (tongue in cheek) on bike paths too much. Full face just screams fast and dangerous to the general public IMO. Plus I'm removing any lectric branding from my bike as I intend to ride wherever I want and desire zero attention from any Authority questioning my 'pedal' bike. REI is having a good sale now BTW.

9d3f2ad4-4e97-40df-8c91-04d95b1cd3ec.jpeg

I wear my full face motorcycle helmet during the summer on my motorcycle. HJC CL-17, which isn't the most ventilated helmet on the market, but it does have an okay ventilation for what it is.

At 30mph, I can get a pretty good ventilation and makes the ride quite bearable even in the summer. That's with visor closed.

I have never worn a bicycle full face helmet, but just by looking at it, it doesn't look too bad. :confused: They're much more ventilated, and whole a lot lighter...and no paddings like SNELL rated motorcycle helmets.

Was it really that bad? I'm just curious...

Not too bad if you remove the chin pads on the uphill slog... fine for the fast descents!

Last edited:
The Abus Pedelec 2.0 Ace helmet meets the Euro NTA 8776 ebike helmet standard, has good venting, removable visor, integrated rain hood, and a rechargeable light. Not cheap, but a nice helmet.

81926_Pedelec_2_0_ACE_silver_edition_side_abus_640.jpg

The Pedelec 2.0 is less $, no visor

Last edited:

What type of helmet (mountain bike, motorcycle, or...) do I look for? What is your favorite helmet and why?
If you can buy it in The United States, this helmet is certified for the Class 3. Wearing this one, I managed to hit my head (a temple) against tarmac with no ill effects just three days ago:

1593461461753.png

On the day of the fall. My Abus Pedelec+ has a green visor and is the XL size. It is equipped with a rear light and a foldable rain-cover. it fits your head as a glove fits a hand.

Wearing a full-face helmet is overdoing things. If you are very concerned about the ride safety, this one is the best:

Such a helmet is worn together with body armour by downhill MTB racers.

Last edited:
If you can buy it in The United States, this helmet is certified for the Class 3. Wearing this one, I managed to hit my head (a temple) against tarmac with no ill effects just three days ago:

View attachment 57192
On the day of the fall. My Abus Pedelec+ has a green visor and is the XL size.

Wearing a full-face helmet is overdoing things. If you are very concerned about the ride safety, this one is the best:

On the day of the fall. My Abus Pedelec+ has a green visor and is the XL size.

That abus helmet lacks a chin guard. which is the only place I ever hit my head. Body armor is not required on road, I use dickies polyester/cotton work clothes & poly/cotton $1 work gloves. Those protected my skinadequately in the 25 mph accident 11/17.
Note I tried to buy a bike helmet with chin guard 6/17 before I broke my chin, but all bike websites would show me was every other helmet they sold that didn't have one. Google/Bing showed me motorcycle helmets with no ventilation.

Lazer makes some nice helmets that test well.

The Anverz tested near the top of Virginia Tech's helmet tests and includes rain shield and clear face shield. It's rated for the NTA8776 s-pedelec standard and has MIPS.

my2020_lazer_anverz_nta_matte_black_3-4-right_4000x2411_0.jpg

The Revolution FF is the mtb version. It appears to be the same basic helmet with modular chin bar and visor instead of the rain and face shields of the Anverz. According to Lazer both the helmet and chin bar are ASTM DH certified.

my2020_lazer_revolution_ff_matte_black_3-4-right_4000x2411.jpg

Back