Hello - This is my first post!

SherK

First of all, I feel so lucky to be part of this forum. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. Thank you in advance. I didn't even know what an e-bike was two months ago. It all started with a planned vacation to Sanibel Island with the decision to not rent a car, but to rent bicycles instead. I was a little worried about keeping up with my husband as my knees are a bit sensitive, and as I looked at what to rent, I discovered that Billy's Bicycle Rental had something called a pedal assisted bicycle called a Townie Go.

I loved the entire week I spent on Sanibel. We biked everywhere, and I had no problems at all with my knees.

Now, I am looking to buy my first e-bike, and there are only two things holding me back. 1. I live in Minnesota, and it's both cold and snowy so the bike shops I'm visiting are still mostly focused on skis and other winter equipment. Darn! 2. I'm not sure what bike to purchase, and I'd love any advice any of you might be willing to provide. Here's what I'm looking for and the bikes I'd like to know more about:
  • I am short, only 5'3 and so I'm looking for a step-through.
  • I am interested in either a Class 1 or 2 e-bike as both are legal on all the trails in Minnesota.
  • I would like a mid-drive not rear hub and hydraulic disc brakes
  • I'm 66 years old, and my goal is just joy riding on all the paved trails around, riding to the grocery store and on errands, and just biking.
  • I'd like to pull a dog trailer sometimes so that I can bring my 40-pound dog along with me to parks where she can run free.
I've researched these bikes, and I'd love any thoughts you might be willing to share or ideas about other good e-bikes:
  • The Townie Go 8i
  • Specialty Como 2.0
  • RadCity Step-thru (I know this has a rear hub, but I've heard lots of good things about it)
  • Other e-bikes I don't know about or haven't yet considered
I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas you might have. Thank you!!!

Sher

I’d say the Como is probably a good bit more technically sophisticated and has a somewhat larger battery. Seat position on these seems pretty relaxed, nice and upright. Gearing is good for what you describe. I’m hoping to get my wife one this spring... our LBS has a beautiful 3.0 that I think she may go for. Her first ebike was a very heavy hub drive that was just too much to handle. The Comos look about perfect.

My own is a Giant, so I consider myself an equal opportunity owner. Had a Trek before this that I like very much as well. Any of the big three, as they say.

The Townie has that feet slightly forward position which a lot of people like as well, and since you’ve already spent time on one, you know how that feels to you. Townie I believe is still owned by Trek, so that’s all good too. Bosch system is great. They’re pretty heavy, though, a bit of a tank.

Picture is the bike at the LBS. I’m sort of surprised I haven’t just bought it for her yet, but she needs to make the call herself. It would be great to get her out riding with me again.

Attachments

• 1581786937118.jpeg
    1581786937118.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
We rode our ebikes across the causeway bridge to Sanibel from Ft. Meyers. Big adventure for us. I was thinking about making the return trip via Uber, because that bridge is so high, but we rode back at the end of the day. We've also enjoyed the bike paths in Minneapolis.

While I'm a mail order guy, I think you'll be happiest with support from a shop.

I'm a huge fan of Flat Foot bikes like the Townie you rode. In Winona MN, the Trek dealer offers fantastic support. I'm seeing Townie bikes with 6000 miles and zero issues. Trust how you felt about the Townie.

I’d say the Como is probably a good bit more technically sophisticated and has a somewhat larger battery. Seat position on these seems pretty relaxed, nice and upright. Gearing is good for what you describe. I’m hoping to get my wife one this spring... our LBS has a beautiful 3.0 that I think she may go for. Her first ebike was a very heavy hub drive that was just too much to handle. The Comos look about perfect.

My own is a Giant, so I consider myself an equal opportunity owner. Had a Trek before this that I like very much as well. Any of the big three, as they say.

The Townie has that feet slightly forward position which a lot of people like as well, and since you’ve already spent time on one, you know how that feels to you. Townie I believe is still owned by Trek, so that’s all good too. Bosch system is great. They’re pretty heavy, though, a bit of a tank.

Picture is the bike at the LBS. I’m sort of surprised I haven’t just bought it for her yet, but she needs to make the call herself. It would be great to get her out riding with me again.

Thank you, Saratoga Dave! Good luck with the bike you and your wife select, and I appreciate your insights!

The Giant La Free E+1 May be of interest to you. Mid drive, step-through, 3 frame sizes, great dealer support.

I have the chain drive E+2, and I love It

I've researched these bikes, and I'd love any thoughts you might be willing to share or ideas about other good e-bikes:
  • The Townie Go 8i
  • Specialty Como 2.0
  • RadCity Step-thru (I know this has a rear hub, but I've heard lots of good things about it)
  • Other e-bikes I don't know about or haven't yet considered
I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas you might have. Thank you!!!

Sher

Any update on what you ended up getting? I'm in a similar situation as you. Also 5'3, no problem with my knees, but I am overweight. I was/am considering both the Townie Go 8i to purchase from REI and a Specialty Como 3.0 (or maybe even 4.0 since it's only 400 more) from a local shop. Interested in what you chose and how you like it.

Hello!

I ended up purchasing a Pedego City Commuter. I love it. My biggest issue is that it is still cold in Minnesota, and I need a few more warm days so that I can really get going. I love the bike, how much in control I feel as a short woman, and how easy it is to ride with no pedal assistance, and even at the first and second level, oh my goodness, does that bike move! :) The throttle is still a little scary for me, but really helpful when I'm trying to quickly move through an intersection.

Let me know where you end up. Good luck!

Best,

Sher

P.S. I cannot say enough about the service I have gotten from the Pedego Twin Cities team. I feel like a member of a new family! I know all the people by name, and if I have a question, I feel extremely comfortable about reaching out to any of them. That level of service is important to me as an electric bike newbie!

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

We rode our ebikes across the causeway bridge to Sanibel from Ft. Meyers. Big adventure for us. I was thinking about making the return trip via Uber, because that bridge is so high, but we rode back at the end of the day. We've also enjoyed the bike paths in Minneapolis.

While I'm a mail order guy, I think you'll be happiest with support from a shop.

Yes! Thank you for reinforcing how important local support is. I'm really loving the connection I'm building with my local Pedego Twin Cities team.

The Giant La Free E+1 May be of interest to you. Mid drive, step-through, 3 frame sizes, great dealer support.

I have the chain drive E+2, and I love It
Thank you, Patrick. I finally went with a Pedego City Commuter from the Twin Cities Pedego Bike Store. They are phenomenal, and they are a great resource.

Let me know where you end up. Good luck!

Best,

Sher
I ended up getting an Electra Townie Go! 8i from my local REI. I love it so far! Not the best bike if I had more steep hills to ride, but for my purposes it works and it's very comfortable. It would be better if it had a throttle but otherwise it works for me!

Back