Hello :-) I'm checking for info re: mid-drive motors...

I ask because I tried purchasing an Ariel and I wasn't able to. Getting a bike into Canada can be an expensive proposition if it isn't sold here. I just purchased a Watt Wagon Commuter put together by a guy in Boston and it turned into a nightmare, getting a battery over the border is next to impossible. Ariel make nice bikes though. Let me know if I can be of any additional help. Happy Thanksgiving.🦃

Hello Feliz,
I had looked into a Bike Friday, but they only do hub motors, and added expense & a huge pain to get it into Canada :-(
I may have to give up on Ariel ebike... checking into Tern Vektron, Tern HSD, R&M Tinker... taking time to check info & get test rides :)
Have a fun-tastic week!
Cheers!

* Ariel: I talked to them Friday. I got a hold of someone right away, I think one of the owners---that's a good thing since last year people were complaining of not being able to get a hold of someone there for support issues. He told me that the only aftermarket problem they ever had with the Dapu was from a customer who had submerged it. Of course, I am only reporting what he told me.

* R&M vs Ariel: Ariel is a small local company, but R&M is the Rolls Royce of e-bikes. They are very well known and super-expensive. Between the two bikes here, I think the Ariel is about $2.5K and the Tinker $5.5K ($US---I did not shop for them, just looked up quickly, could be a bit off but not much). So, in term of reputation, R&M is very high and builds reliable bikes, with a good support network (although not at good in North America as in Europe). At the same time, their pricing makes me gasp :) My wife is looking at one of their bikes for $6.5K, where the equivalent Ariel bike is less than $2K.

Ultimately, unless you are mechanically and electrically handy, imho a real important part of your decision is whether you have the local bike shop that will maintain your e-bike. Possibly a worthwhile factor to look into?

Heh, KO, thanks for following up, the info is very helpful :)
I haven't seen any posted Ariel Rider owner complaints regarding the Dapu MD500, so perhaps the issues have been resolved. Court speaks highly of the company, and I'd consider the M Class if it could cross the border without excessive dues & taxes.

R&M... 'Rolls Royce of ebikes' is sooooo true - hahaha :p ... and your wife has excellent taste, she knows what she likes - yah!!!
Tinker would be my perfect 'do anything' play bike :-D ... will need to start saving lotsa pennies if the AR M Class can't cross into Canada *sigh*

Yes, point well taken... I will need a reputable ebike shop to maintain whatever ebike I purchase.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, really appreciate your time to connect & help me figure this all out :)

Wishing you & your wife a great week, and many fun adventures on your ebikes!

Judy

Back