Hello from Western Maryland Appalachia

FWS EBK

Region
USA
Hello, I am a long time two wheel and four wheel enthusiast who is trying e bikes at the young age of 77!
Rode bikes as a kid and adult, last bicycle was a Peugeot 10 speed road bike bought in 1968. Yes, I am that old!
I sold my BMW this year, but miss being on two wheels, so an e bike will be in the garage in time for Spring.

My riding will be for pleasure, exercise, mostly on secondary roads and parks, trails, etc. I have narrowed my choices to Espin Nero, or Sport, and Ride1Up 700 or Cafe Cruiser.

I would welcome any advice, suggestions or alternative bikes. Typical ride would be 5-15 miles, mostly paved, fair number of hills, and relatively light traffic. I am 5’-10” and weigh 175 pounds.

Thanks!

Welcome to EBR FWS.

Try before you buy is my recommendation. Rent, test ride, borrow, anything and everything you can. Different bikes perform and feel so vastly different. And even a bike you don't think you would want to own but you have the chance to ride can tell you one more thing you want.....or help you confirm you don't want it in a bike.

Welcome to the site & the electric side of the hobby.
Dealers are useful for handling warranty issues but probably not much choice in Cumberland. Baltimore wouldn't help you much, too far for warranty work. Probably stocked 18-19" frames would fit you.
I'm surprised you are still considering mid step or high bar bikes. I started having trouble getting leg over the seat about age 62, have been riding drop frame bikes ever since. Falling is risky at our age. My first bike was 1957, and my first 26" wheel bike was 1961. On road I wear a green reflective construction vest with reflective stripes. I'm using a helmet with a chin guard since I broke the chin in the last fall 2018 at 25 mph. Fox Rampage. Has enough ventilation IMHO.
I walked the Western MD RR and B&O around Paw Paw WV in 1980 with another Army student from APG MD. We hiked 200' into a WM tunnel (abandoned) but gave up because we didn't bring flashlights. There are copperheads out there.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask your questions.

I agree with indianajo and Merle Nelson above. Test ride, test ride and test ride some more! I know it can be difficult to find bikes to test right now. Call ahead and travel if you must. My wife and I visited 4 surrounding states when we were bike shopping. We often took overnight trips and made mini vacations out of them.

As indianajo suggested, consider a low step or step thru frame style. You may still be able to swing a leg over a high bar bike now but consider the future. You'll find with an e-bike, you are able to ride farther and for a longer period of time than on your old bikes. This often leads to carrying more gear with you. If you pile up a rear bike rack, it makes it even more difficult to get a leg over. Also, E-bikes are expensive and you'll want to be able to ride for many years to come.

We spend quite a bit of time down your way riding the many great trails in western Maryland and southeast PA. We particularly like the paved Western Maryland Rail Trail, the C&O Canal trail and the GAP trail up toward Pittsburgh. We started riding down there almost 20 years ago on our conventional bikes. A few years back, we started seeing e-bikes and were curious. We began talking to folks riding them and asked questions. Several were even kind enough to let us ride theirs!

Read as much as you can here and by all means, ask questions. Also take advantage of the search box to get answers.

Again, welcome and good luck with your quest for the perfect e-bike!

Welcome to the site & the electric side of the hobby.
Dealers are useful for handling warranty issues but probably not much choice in Cumberland. Baltimore wouldn't help you much, too far for warranty work. Probably stocked 18-19" frames would fit you.
I'm surprised you are still considering mid step or high bar bikes. I started having trouble getting leg over the seat about age 62, have been riding drop frame bikes ever since. Falling is risky at our age. My first bike was 1957, and my first 26" wheel bike was 1961. On road I wear a green reflective construction vest with reflective stripes. I'm using a helmet with a chin guard since I broke the chin in the last fall 2018 at 25 mph. Fox Rampage. Has enough ventilation IMHO.
I walked the Western MD RR and B&O around Paw Paw WV in 1980 with another Army student from APG MD. We hiked 200' into a WM tunnel (abandoned) but gave up because we didn't bring flashlights. There are copperheads out there.
Thanks for the advice jo, it is appreciated!
Yes, I have revised my selection criteria to stay with a step thru frame, and easy flat foot for my 32” inseam.
The Surface 604 Rook is the leading candidate, with espin Nero and Ride1Up 700 runners up.
Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks!

I agree with indianajo and Merle Nelson above. Test ride, test ride and test ride some more! I know it can be difficult to find bikes to test right now. Call ahead and travel if you must. My wife and I visited 4 surrounding states when we were bike shopping. We often took overnight trips and made mini vacations out of them.

As indianajo suggested, consider a low step or step thru frame style. You may still be able to swing a leg over a high bar bike now but consider the future. You'll find with an e-bike, you are able to ride farther and for a longer period of time than on your old bikes. This often leads to carrying more gear with you. If you pile up a rear bike rack, it makes it even more difficult to get a leg over. Also, E-bikes are expensive and you'll want to be able to ride for many years to come.

We spend quite a bit of time down your way riding the many great trails in western Maryland and southeast PA. We particularly like the paved Western Maryland Rail Trail, the C&O Canal trail and the GAP trail up toward Pittsburgh. We started riding down there almost 20 years ago on our conventional bikes. A few years back, we started seeing e-bikes and were curious. We began talking to folks riding them and asked questions. Several were even kind enough to let us ride theirs!

Read as much as you can here and by all means, ask questions. Also take advantage of the search box to get answers.

Thanks 6, good advice!
It is hard to find demo bikes, and right now we are getting 8” of snow!
My search so far has revealed the Surface 604 Rook as a good choice based on components, weight, torque sensing vs cadence sensing and motor/battery choices. Of course it is the highest price!
Thanks again for your thoughts, and advice.

Who's got one within drive distance from you and how can you contact them?

Local bike clubs, Surface 604 sales, is there a forum specific to that bike and search for members closer, facebook, etc., etc.

Thanks, I have a good relationship with Surface sale rep in HQ.
I will see if they can refer me to a local 604 owner.

Thanks for your great reply! Still narrowing the search and will post when I am back in two wheels.

Hello, I am a long time two wheel and four wheel enthusiast who is trying e bikes at the young age of 77!
Rode bikes as a kid and adult, last bicycle was a Peugeot 10 speed road bike bought in 1968. Yes, I am that old!
I sold my BMW this year, but miss being on two wheels, so an e bike will be in the garage in time for Spring.

My riding will be for pleasure, exercise, mostly on secondary roads and parks, trails, etc. I have narrowed my choices to Espin Nero, or Sport, and Ride1Up 700 or Cafe Cruiser.

I would welcome any advice, suggestions or alternative bikes. Typical ride would be 5-15 miles, mostly paved, fair number of hills, and relatively light traffic. I am 5’-10” and weigh 175 pounds.

Thanks!
Thank you for the kind words I just purchased a Cannondale Super Six Neo because of my current condition rheumatoid arthritis I can no longer keep up with these friends of mine who are also younger than 57 years old.
Thank you

Back