Hello from Trek Domane+LT w/Fazua on Camano Island, Washington State

oldesalt

Region
USA
Hello, all of you e-bike users out there. I am a freshly-minted e-bike user, My steed is a Trek Domane+LT with the Fazua motor. And I have some issues with it which I will post and ask for opinions.
First off, the electronics do not seem to like moisture. A number of times when I have ridden it in the rain, the system will start flashing the yellow warning light and the power shuts off. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE STEADY OR FLASHING RED LIGHT. Other times, the remote just shows all white lights and the power is shut off. (and BTW, I have full fenders with fender extensions front and rear, so I do not think wheel-splash is the issue.) AND NOW HERE IS THE INTERESTING AND I THINK REVEALING PART: WHEN THE BIKE IS HUNG UP INSIDE FOR A DAY OR TWO, THE ELECTRONICS START TO WORK PROPERLY AGAIN.
TO ME, THAT SUGGESTS THAT THERE IS A MOISTURE PROBLEM THAT GOES AWAY WHEN THE SYSTEM "DRIES OUT"
I appears to me that Fazua tacitly acknowledges the system's vulnerability to moisture by 1) having a "DRAIN HOLE" built-in to the battery/motor case, and 2) by going to some length in the user's manual to caution against letting moisture and/or dirt accumulate inside the battery/motor case, especially near electrical contacts.
Fazua has been responsive to requests for help but, does not seem to really acknowledge this weakness in the system.
I am going to start taping all openings between battery/motor case, tape the "drain hole" (maybe water is actually getting in there???), and then riding it in wet conditions.
I would love to hear from other similar-bike owners about their experiences and solutions.
Many thanks
Lawrence

And BTW, after reading a bunch of posts, it seems that other riders are really unhappy about the entire Trek Domane+ e-bike experience.
I WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASIZE HERE THAT OVERALL THIS IS A GREAT BIKE: I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE OTHER PROBLEM WITH IT IN OVER 1000 MILES OF ROAD RIDING.
AND IF WATER GETTING IS THE PROBLEM, AND i CAN SOLVE IT WITH SOME KIND OF SOFT WRAP-AROUND "RAIN COAT" I WILL BE A HAPPY CAMPER

Get some T-9 Boeshield in the spray can version and give a light spray to all electrical connections you can see. May help and certainly won't hurt. And at least summer is on its way so the rain will hopefully let up here in the PNW.

Get some T-9 Boeshield in the spray can version and give a light spray to all electrical connections you can see. May help and certainly won't hurt. And at least summer is on its way so the rain will hopefully let up here in the PNW.
Thank you. I researched Boeshield and it does sound like a good product. However, I found some comments that said that because it is a dielectric (doesn't conduct electricity) and leaves a protective waxy surface, it should not be used on electrical connections that are disconnected/reconnected frequently, nor on any electrical parts that have the potential for arcing during disconnect. Both of these conditions occur when we take the Fazua battery out for charging/replace it back into the motor case.

having a "DRAIN HOLE" built-in to the battery/motor case
Every premium mid-drive e-bike has a sort of a drain hole in the bottom motor cover, disregarding the mid-drive motor make.
You seem to greatly exaggerate something that has even never been an issue oldesalt.

Thank you. I researched Boeshield and it does sound like a good product. However, I found some comments that said that because it is a dielectric (doesn't conduct electricity) and leaves a protective waxy surface, it should not be used on electrical connections that are disconnected/reconnected frequently, nor on any electrical parts that have the potential for arcing during disconnect. Both of these conditions occur when we take the Fazua battery out for charging/replace it back into the motor case.
this is what I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1C8UO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&psc=1
I waterproofed a garage door opener with it and even tested under water and it worked fine. all my terminals get it.

OK then, have been using it for years for just that purpose in the PNW. In fact just a week ago I had forgotten to close the little rubber flap to the charge port and after a ride and a wash the charge plug was making bad contact and my charger was showing an error. Shot a small amount of T9 in there and it worked right away and still does....One of the advantages of being ADD I guess is that I don't read the manufacturers instructions unless I have to. I certainly take all comments with a grain of salt as you are more than welcome to do with this one.

Thanks, Stefan. Does it make any difference on the "waterproofness" of the unit if it is Fazua or Bosch?
I cannot say @oldesalt. I ride two Specialized e-bikes with different mid-motors. I used to ride a Giant mid-motor e-MTB a lot. I never hesitated to ride into deep rainwater puddles (of course NOT seawater!) I ride under any conditions, rain or not an in any terrain. No issues.

Yes, Giant e-bikes have issues: displays and/or handlebar remotes can fail because of rain there. But not motors.

I think Fazua is as good engineered as other premium motors. The issues with water ingress might be related to anything in the electronics but I doubt it would be the motor itself. Do you hold a valid warranty? What are the TREK LBS people saying?

Thanks, Stefan. Pretty sure it is water because every time that problems occur, it is in the rain, and then when the bike is inside and dries out, it's ok again.
The Trek people kick us over to Fazua and Fazua says "read the diagnostics." Well, we do and they are not very helpful.
Lawrence

Salt? we dont use no stinking salt on roads we just suffer for the most part. Plus all the rain rides would wash the two days of snow and any salt we ever had away.
Not a big deal but this isn't true. Salt has been used on Portland roads since 2017 after environmental studies showed no harm from use.

This was a news item (5 years ago) because some assumed salt used in this way was detrimental to the environment. Especially not an issue in the Portland area since ice/snow events occur only infrequently.

Not a big deal but this isn't true. Salt has been used on Portland roads since 2017 after environmental studies showed no harm from use.

This was a news item (5 years ago) because some assumed salt used in this way was detrimental to the environment. Especially not an issue in the Portland area since ice/snow events occur only infrequently.
but it is seldom used. only after days of snow on the ground sometimes and even then not on most streets. portland is really bad about dealing with streets when it snows.

to the OP, how is biking on Camano island? I was thinking of taking the train up to Stanwood then bike and camp on the island for a couple days. I've biked on whidbey and lopez a few times but never been on Camano. Biggest negative of this plan is that Amtrak doesn't directly stop at Stanwood, have to switch to an Amtrak bus in Seattle.

but it is seldom used. only after days of snow on the ground sometimes and even then not on most streets. portland is really bad about dealing with streets when it snows.
Correct, but that isn't what you posted. I know forums like this are filled with false information on many or most topics, I suppose it is a peeve of mine because I've been caught giving credibility where none was deserved - after a while I learned.

Correct, but that isn't what you posted. I know forums like this are filled with false information on many or most topics, I suppose it is a peeve of mine because I've been caught giving credibility where none was deserved - after a while I learned.
it was a joke because portland seldom uses salt. I remember when we had a huge storm and 82 ave was left as is for a week and we walked down the middle of it to the store because you could not find the sidewalk.

Back