Hello from Summerville, SC

terminator3d3700

Region
USA
Hi all! MY name is Paul, I am starting my own conversion. Firstly I would like to thank everyone on this forum for being here to help people with their ebikes.
I am getting mostly used items. My first query will be about the rim and motor. This one to be exact: Bafang FM G320.250.R 26" 250W DC36V Front Wheel Electric Motor Rim. I need the amperage to get the battery.
I would like to know what the amperage is and if it is a brushed or brushless motor? Also, are these things common among controllers? I know it is a 250 Watt motor and that is all I know about it. I found all kinds of controllers, but none of them even say what brand and model motor they are for. Same goes for the throttle and key lock hardware. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
Brushed motors went out with 24 v batteries. Brushed motors have 2 phase windings, red black. brushless AC motors have three - yellow green blue .
The sizes of batteries are AH or amp hours, which correlates to the distance you can travel in a charge instead of the maximum current available. Most 7 parallel stack batteries will produce 50 amps without damage. There have been sleazebags assembling batteries out of flashlight cells and calling them bike batteries. Those produce maybe an amp. I bought a pile of battery trash from amazon and another pile of trash from ebay, but the problem with those was bad welds. Voltage collapsed if I drew more than 50 watts. My good $630 17.5 ah battery from lunabike is now 4 years old & held up fine to a 1300 w, then a 1000 w motor when the first motor wore out the gears. ebikeling and calfornia ebike also have good reputations for battery vendors that process your debit card in US banks.
Current limitation is primarily in the controller, which are rated in watts, not amps. At 36 v, 250 w is about 7 amps. You'll have a hard time finding a controller that delivers less than 500 W. Matching up the connectors to the throttle, display (if any) pas pickup & brake handles is the difficulty in buying naked controllers.
If you've got the bafang juli 11 pin connector on the motor, good luck on finding a matching controller. I never did. I did find a conversion harness to 6 pin rectangular block hall effect pickup connector with the help of member shicks. I cut the juli off my motor & installed .157" bullet crimp connectors (dorman) and the white block connector (ebay) before the conversion harness got here from China.
Don't forget the torque arms. Lots of twisted off wire harnesses on hub motors where torque arm was held to strut with hose clamps. Use solid band clamp.
I have had my bafang motor apart and the gears are plastic, just like the ebikeling motor that wore out in 4500 miles. At $221 for motor+wheel+controller+display+brake handles+pas pickup+magnet wheel I was not disappointed by the life. Took 2 afternoons to replace it with a Mac12t I had stored away in the garage. Mac12t burnt pin off in the rain. ASI controllers have pins too close together for rain, don't buy one (from luna).
Happy shopping & maybe building.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have included these to begin with. I guess I was in a hurry. lol It's a nine pin connector. This is supposed to be a new wheel w/o box. This is a picture of the battery I am getting. It is pulled from a scooter. Guaranteed working. This is the controller I am looking at. Will 350 Watt be too much? This is the throttle control I am looking at. I am trying to build this for around $200.00.

Attachments

• Bafang Wheel 1.jpg
    Bafang Wheel 1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Bafang Wheel 2.jpg
    Bafang Wheel 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 134
  • Bafang Wheel 3.jpg
    Bafang Wheel 3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Bafang Wheel 4.jpg
    Bafang Wheel 4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Bafang Wheel 5.jpg
    Bafang Wheel 5.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Bafang Wheel.jpg
    Bafang Wheel.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 140
  • eve-pack-20cell-thumb2_1024x1024.jpg
    eve-pack-20cell-thumb2_1024x1024.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Ebike Motor Controlller_.jpg
    Ebike Motor Controlller_.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Throtle control_.jpg
    Throtle control_.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Throttle 1.jpg
    Throttle 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 130
Sorry, my name is Paul. I am 67 years old. I am a retired US Army SSG. I am dealing with Parkinson's right now, so life is a little bit harder. I have a Motec 48V 500 Watt Trike. It goes about 25 MPH (Depending on weight, of course. I weigh 157 lbs), has a 240 lb weight capacity and has a range of about 20 miles. It incorporates 4-12V lead acid batteries. Only downside is, it kinda feels like it will tip over at any moment when riding it. It doesn't, it just feels like it. My wife bought me the trike for Christmas about a year ago for $687.96. I love this thing! I just use it to cruise the neighborhood. I haven't had any issues with it yet (Knock on wood, *Knock Knock*). I am looking for a cheap female bicycle with a coaster brake. I am converting the bicycle so I can go to the store, which is about 1.5 miles away, instead of jumping in my truck for a very short trip. I don't want to try to navigate the streets with a trike. Even though it is a back street for about the first 3/4 mile, it just doesn't seem safe enough. Besides, it doesn't handle potholes very well, due to the small front wheel. However, a bicycle would feel more normal on a public road. And, it would be narrower than the trike. My wife has a good concern though. Parkinson's makes it hard to balance, so she is worried I might not be able to ride a bicycle. I guess I will find out. If it is, I might have to sell it. IMO bicycles were named backwards. A step through female bicycle should have been made for male riders and vice versa. Men will understand where I am coming from. I apologize for not having mentioned all of this in the beginning. I was just so excited, I forgot. Parkinson's also affects the memory and concentration.

The little black car is a Supercar XXL I bought to ride around the neighborhood with my grandkids. I bought it on www.kidsviponline.com. It is 24V 180 Watt brushless motor and air filled rubber wheels (20 psi). Does about 7-10 MPH with me and one kid. Has a 200 lb capacity and is expensive. At the time I paid $979.00 for it. I believe it is a little more now. One of the best investments I have ever made. The grandkids get so excited when they know they are going for a ride with Grandpa. Also, when they get older, they can go by themselves. They are going to inherit it anyway. lol

BTW, is there a way to delete attachments before posting? lol

Attachments

• Mototec Tricycle.jpeg
    Mototec Tricycle.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Super Car and Trike.JPG
    Super Car and Trike.JPG
    529.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
. lol It's a nine pin connector. This is supposed to be a new wheel w/o box. This is a picture of the battery I am getting. It is pulled from a scooter. Guaranteed working. This is the controller I am looking at. Will 350 Watt be too much?
WH watt hours is a measure of energy, like how big a gas tank on a car. WH =AH*nominal voltage. 350 wh/36 v = ~10 ah, or a small battery good for maybe 20 miles at 15 mph.
The controller has the 6 pin hall effect sensor cable. I bought this converter cable from ebay, but the vendor doesn't come up in the screens ebay sends you. The description was "60cm E-Bike 9Pin Motor Convert Extension Cable Cord Waterproof Connector". Look at the picture carefully, I bought one that was male to mate with a male connector on the motor, which was a waste of money. Your connector on the motor is male, a 9 pin Juli .
TO delete an attachment, drag mouse over it with left button pushed down. Green squares will appear around the picture. Point mouse inside the squares and push delete key.
My trash batteries from Amazon & ebay were pulls from scooters. I proved the amazon one bad in 25 days & got my money back. Voltage would collapse to 7 on first hill & stay there. The ebay one was out at my summer camp with no test equipment, and the voltage bounced back as soon as I turned the throttle off. So I had to haul it 27 miles pedal powered to town to test it with 10 ohm resistor and prove it wouldn't put out even 5 amps. Took 70 days so I didn't get my money back. You can't send batteries back, you are not a certified haz waste shipper.
Three wheelers with 2 wheels in the back are dangerous. They will tip over if cornered too fast. They make three wheelers with steering tipping wheels in the front so they won't fall over, they lean into the turn. But they are expensive, $4000 up. See Bikes by type forum below, 3 wheelers. Also shown under cargo bikes. Sorry about the Parkinsons, it was a horrid disease before modern drugs came out. I knew a guy, cheerful & funny, trapped in a useless crabbed up body. 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Back