Hello from Seattle

slayer1

I'm John. I do all types on riding from road to TRI to MTB to commuting. I was also a former bike shop mechanic back in the 90s. I have owned/built up all sorts of bikes- road, Cx, MTB, travel folding, tandem, single speed and now an ebike. I bought a Radwagon in 2016 and used it to transport my kids and do the occasional commute. In 2017, I sold the Radwagon and bought a Stromer ST2. Its main use is for my 30 mile round trip commute at night (I work night shift.) I have upgraded the light (see ST2 light thread) given all the night riding . I have ridden 5500 miles and love the ebike commute. Thank you to everyone for all the great info and I hope I can contribute in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 233
Welcome to the site.
You're brave to do all that commuting at night. I did come back home from 2nd shift one year on a pedal bike, but I rode back streets of Louisville until I got to US 31 over the Ohio, where I rode the sidewalk. I've been criticized for that by a bike club nanny, but nobody on the bridge ever noticed me.
Lights are so much brighter now than in 2000, with much less battery use. And they are rechargeable LiIon now! I was using a first generation 10 ma red LED clipped to my pants leg in 2000, with a green one facing forwards. That was an upgrade from the incandescent bulb the C cell & lens holder originally came with. Probably nobody ever saw me.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.
You're brave to do all that commuting at night. I did come back home from 2nd shift one year on a pedal bike, but I rode back streets of Louisville until I got to US 31 over the Ohio, where I rode the sidewalk. I've been criticized for that by a bike club nanny, but nobody on the bridge ever noticed me.
Lights are so much brighter now than in 2000, with much less battery use. And they are rechargeable LiIon now! I was using a 10 ma red LED clipped to my pants leg in 2000, probably nobody ever saw me.

Now that’s brave! I’m fortunate in that my commute involves 90+% bike lanes and bike paths. Plus there is almost no traffic in either direction. It’s definitely safer than doing it during the daytime!

Back