Hello from quaint Victoria BC.

hughresearch

Region
Canada
My name is Joe. I am 71 yr old retired shop teacher who does not seem to have the proper amount of fear when it comes to bears, logging roads, chainsaws, stuff like that. I bought a Radrover 2 yr ago and was and am very happy except for the front forks which seem very weak and flimsy. I upgraded I a bit with a 52 volt battery and a new Bolton controller. Speed and hill climbing while apparently real seem very odd and almost disconcerting. Bike is now very fast and responsive. A question though. The U004 battery specs say 1100 watts max discharge but the Bolton screen is showing WAY in access of that number like 1500 and I even noticed a 1750 reading. Will this damage battery or be too much for the nominally 500 watt motor.

Hey @hughresearch, welcome to the forums! Shop class was one of my favorites, it sounds like you were a good fit for that job considering your limited amounts of fear!! Where did you get the upgrade parts for your RadRover? I agree that the stock forks (especially older ones) were kind of basic... mostly for light cross country. They are spring forks that are heavier and have limited dampening. I don't have much to add regarding your Bolton upgrades, I'm curious how things are working out since it's been a few days since you posted? Maybe someone with more electronics knowledge will chime in to help :) ps. I live in Vancouver right now, so maybe we will see each other riding if you come to the mainland! Also, here's a technical area where you can ask about your customizations.

My name is Joe. I am 71 yr old retired shop teacher who does not seem to have the proper amount of fear when it comes to bears, logging roads, chainsaws, stuff like that. I bought a Radrover 2 yr ago and was and am very happy except for the front forks which seem very weak and flimsy. I upgraded I a bit with a 52 volt battery and a new Bolton controller. Speed and hill climbing while apparently real seem very odd and almost disconcerting. Bike is now very fast and responsive. A question though. The U004 battery specs say 1100 watts max discharge but the Bolton screen is showing WAY in access of that number like 1500 and I even noticed a 1750 reading. Will this damage battery or be too much for the nominally 500 watt motor.
Lithium battery packs can deliver very high currents, but the price they pay is longevity.
Cycle-C-Rate1.jpg

It seems like 2 things are happening; first the new controller is allowing the battery to deliver more current and second, the battery voltage is driving the motor to draw more current. The end result is a power level that can shorten the battery life and perhaps over heat the motor.

Hey @hughresearch, welcome to the forums! Shop class was one of my favorites, it sounds like you were a good fit for that job considering your limited amounts of fear!! Where did you get the upgrade parts for your RadRover? I agree that the stock forks (especially older ones) were kind of basic... mostly for light cross country. They are spring forks that are heavier and have limited dampening. I don't have much to add regarding your Bolton upgrades, I'm curious how things are working out since it's been a few days since you posted? Maybe someone with more electronics knowledge will chime in to help :) ps. I live in Vancouver right now, so maybe we will see each other riding if you come to the mainland! Also, here's a technical area where you can ask about your customizations.
I got 52 V 20Ah from electro bike world. And the 35 amp controller & screen from Bolton. Have not done much riding last few days because as you know it has been cold. The bit of riding I have done is quite frankly mind blowing. A fully charged 52 is almost 60 volts and my charger seems to be a little generous and my metre reads 60V sometimes right off charger. Unleashing 35 amps X 60 V = 2100 watts. The most the radrover stock controller ever showed was 500. I can pretty well keep up with traffic everywhere but the freeway. I will program the controller down so I only pull 1000 watts which is plenty. Right after I got the 52v (before new controller) I rode to Nanaimo ( 52 triangle in the frame and 48v on a rack on the back) and had lots of juice left when I got there. Rode most of the way on 3 setting to save juice. Then I took the ferry to van then another home. Long day.

I got 52 V 20Ah from electro bike world. And the 35 amp controller & screen from Bolton. Have not done much riding last few days because as you know it has been cold. The bit of riding I have done is quite frankly mind blowing. A fully charged 52 is almost 60 volts and my charger seems to be a little generous and my metre reads 60V sometimes right off charger. Unleashing 35 amps X 60 V = 2100 watts. The most the radrover stock controller ever showed was 500. I can pretty well keep up with traffic everywhere but the freeway. I will program the controller down so I only pull 1000 watts which is plenty. Right after I got the 52v (before new controller) I rode to Nanaimo ( 52 triangle in the frame and 48v on a rack on the back) and had lots of juice left when I got there. Rode most of the way on 3 setting to save juice. Then I took the ferry to van then another home. Long day.
Essential travel to maintain mental health!

Hi Joe, you're getting your money's worth, with 52V and 30+ amps showing 1700W on your display! That's just momentary power when you twist the throttle. A few seconds won't hurt.

What happens If you found a long mountain ascent where you quit pedalling and used throttle...,, Let the Grin simulator figure it out for you. The G60 is the Rad motor. I plugged in a 35A comtroller. The stimulator says you get 7 minutes on a 10% grade before you overheat,

PS. I loved Victoria Island when we visited 40 years ago, Barely got to the ferry on time, It seemed like we were driving onto the ferry as it was pulling away.

Hi Joe, you're getting your money's worth, with 52V and 30+ amps showing 1700W on your display! That's just momentary power when you twist the throttle. A few seconds won't hurt.

What happens If you found a long mountain ascent where you quit pedalling and used throttle...,, Let the Grin simulator figure it out for you. The G60 is the Rad motor. I plugged in a 35A comtroller. The stimulator says you get 7 minutes on a 10% grade before you overheat,

PS. I loved Victoria Island when we visited 40 years ago, Barely got to the ferry on time, It seemed like we were driving onto the ferry as it was pulling away.
well that is good to know! TY

got the motor and battery from electrobike world the contoller from Bolton.

Welcome! I met a couple from Victoria while biking the San Juan Islands back in the ‘80s. Great folks and they invited me to stay with them for a few days. Great folks and a great place to hang with lots of fantastic music by the waterfront. Butchart Gardens was awesome!
Visited many times through the years.👍

Back