Hello from Paris

I'm new here, so let me introduce myself :

I'm 64, and I live in Paris. Six month ago, I decided to switch from a motorbike to an electric bicycle. And now I can say I'm a fan.
My bike is an Electra "Townie".
IMG_8590.jpg

Welcome!

I'd be interested in hearing the benefits ( and any drawbacks) you have found ....motorbike vs. E-bike.

Hi,
When I bought the E-Bike I wasn't sure to keep it. I said to myself, if it doesn't fit, I'll give it to my daughter. After six month, I wonder why I didn't buy it before.
The first benefit is the new way to feel the town. Paris is a beautiful city and cycling along the streets is very pleasant, you see the town differently, more peacefully.
That doesn't mean, your trip will be longer with an E-bike than with a motorbike. And this was a surprise ! There are about 8 miles between my place to the place where I work, with my motorbike the trip took 20 minutes, with the E-bike it takes 25 minutes.
The other thing is the physical activity. I'm 64 (in good shape) and I can feel it does some good to me. The effort is not too strong for my bad knee but if you set the electric assistance on the average position, as I do, that's a pleasant training for your heart.
What else ? Maybe the feeling that it is better for our planet, you know, small things that can help.

The only drawback I can see, is the problem of stealing. You always have to secure your bike, even for a small time, it's boring. If you live in New-York, you know the problem.:)

Welcome Dominique, that is one beautiful bike. I switched too from motorcycles . Ebikes are ablast ! Get ready for A lot of Parisians to ask you about it. Please more pics around Paris. Theft is a big issue with these jewels of transportation. They scream bling . When I'm not cruisin , mine is chained to my garage floor, with a xena disk alarm armed and ready to blare. Insurance is a necessity where I live.

Last edited:
Hi Robbie,

Yes insurance is something I forgot to mention as a drawback. I insured my E-bike and, surprise, it is more expensive than my motorbike insurance. Anyway at the end it will be a lot cheaper to use an E-bike than a motorcycle. So...

@Dominique Séguier , getting on an ebike IS a game changer! Get what you need for locks, security etc, but don't let fear overpower your ride, security is necessary :) but look at how you feel after a ride. there are alarm locks that clip onto the front wheel that might help you. Curious who did the insurance on your ebike?; it's unusual to hear of rates higher for a simple electric bike than a gas powered vehicle.

Bienvenu!

You will enjoy this friendly, informative forum. As we were riding bikes yesterday, I mentioned to my husband that I think my new ebike experience is much more enjoyable than it might have been, due to finding and participating in this forum. Court has developed it in to a unique, informative, ebike community.

A bientôt

Last edited:
@Dominique Séguier , getting on an ebike IS a game changer! Get what you need for locks, security etc, but don't let fear overpower your ride, security is necessary :) but look at how you feel after a ride. there are alarm locks that clip onto the front wheel that might help you. Curious who did the insurance on your ebike?; it's unusual to hear of rates higher for a simple electric bike than a gas powered vehicle.
I've owned and insured motorbikes for more than forty years. I never had any issues during all these years. So the fees of the insurance company decreased with the time, to be very low at the end.
This company doesn't insure E-bike so I had to find a specialized insurance company for E-bikes. The name is "VéloVolé".
Thanks to be concerned.

Hi, I'm curious about your bike routes. Do they have dedicated infra in Paris?
Hi,

Paris is a more and more friendly city for cyclists. There is a dedicated infra which is growing quite quickly. We also may use the bus lanes and some small one way streets can be taken by the wrong side ( bad english but french guy).
If you want you can follow this link :

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

To see a map of the actual and future infra.

Wow.. Love the bike. I tried a Townie and wished I could afford one. Great to hear you are enjoying it. I can only imagine that Paris would be beautiful city to bike in.

Welcome Dominique, that is one beautiful bike. I switched too from motorcycles . Ebikes are ablast ! Get ready for A lot of Parisians to ask you about it. Please more pics around Paris. Theft is a big issue with these jewels of transportation. They scream bling . When I'm not cruisin , mine is chained to my garage floor, with a xena disk alarm armed and ready to blare. Insurance is a necessity where I live.
IMG_9154.jpg

Nice photo, with Notre Dame in the back ground.
The Towbie is a good looking bike!

Hi Dominique,
Our recent American Ebike magazine had a review that gave high praise for your Townie ebike. It looks like a comfortable riding style with feet somewhat forward. Your going to discover much more of Paris with an ebike than a car.

Hi Dominique,
Our recent American Ebike magazine had a review that gave high praise for your Townie ebike. It looks like a comfortable riding style with feet somewhat forward. Your going to discover much more of Paris with an ebike than a car.
Hi Robie,
I'd say I live differently in Paris with an E-bike. But as I was born in Paris 64 ago and as I've lived in this city for these 64 years, it's hard to discover something new but why not.:)

Hi from another part of France a fair way to the south west of you. I enjoy my e-bike on the quiet lanes of the Poitou Charente, a very different experience to the busy Parisien streets. I still have my motorcycle but use it much less for local journeys than I did before.

Hi from another part of France a fair way to the south west of you. I enjoy my e-bike on the quiet lanes of the Poitou Charente, a very different experience to the busy Parisien streets. I still have my motorcycle but use it much less for local journeys than I did before.
Hi, Yes I guess it's rather different. But riding a bicycle in Paris changes the feeling of the town that you have. I like Paris and I think I like it more since I got my E-bike. The street are busy, that's right, but I feel like a watcher of the craziness of the car drivers and of the motorcycle riders. Few months ago I was a part of them and when I see a car rushing to the next red traffic light I can't help to remember that I was doing the same.
Anyway I discovered that when I was riding my motorcycle my trip to the place I work took 20 minutes. The same trip with my E-bike takes 30 minutes. For me it's really a surprise, as I consider myself as a fast motorcycle rider. The peaceful E-bike is almost as fast as my motorcycle in the busy street of Paris.

Back