Hello from PA - New to EBikes, but not to riding.

Rixtory

Region
USA
I purchased a Vado SL-5 EQ 3 weeks ago for a "Turning 60" present (I turned 60 last year). I have been a long time rider - 35+ years of road riding, but age is taking it's toll. After 4 aortic valve surgeries in the past decade (on my 3rd artificial valve), a new pacemaker last year, an older reconstructive knee surgery and a re-attached Quadricep (2 years ago), I live in a valley and could feel the hills closing in on me going from 10 mile daily rides to 3-5 mi rides 2xweek. After several months of reading everything, watching every youtube, test riding a few major mfgrs offerings, it was down to the Specialized line-up. Either the Vado 5, Vado 5 SL or Creo. I wanted great gearing and upgraded components. I didn't care for the lower end components on many bikes. after a few hours on both the Vado and the SL, I decided for fitness riding the SL was the bike for me. The Vado would be great if I were commuting or doing errands, but it is too heavy for road riding for fitness.
I have now put 120 miles on the bike and I cannot believe I waited so long to get one. I ride mostly with with no assist on flats downs and slight uphills, going into eco/sport/turbo as I make my way up steep 1/2 -2 mile long PA hills. I like that I am forced to pedal and keep my legs spinning.
I didn't like the EQ version at first, but it was the only SL at the LBS bike in my size. Now I love it. I can go out on any wet road and stay out of slop (for many years I simply used my rear rack and a removeable plastic front fender when roads were wet, but they didn't really protect the bike that much. I am still quite new to E-bikes and still learning, but not new to Specialized (have a '16 Diverge DSW) or Trek (FX7700). I've sold all my other bikes from Chomo to Titanium over the past few years, trying to keep a small stable.
I am planning on purchasing the range extender next, and then possibly the Creo this summer.
Thanks for letting me join the group and tell a bit about myself.

I purchased a Vado SL-5 EQ 3 weeks ago for a "Turning 60" present (I turned 60 last year). I have been a long time rider - 35+ years of road riding, but age is taking it's toll. After 4 aortic valve surgeries in the past decade (on my 3rd artificial valve), a new pacemaker last year, an older reconstructive knee surgery and a re-attached Quadricep (2 years ago), I live in a valley and could feel the hills closing in on me going from 10 mile daily rides to 3-5 mi rides 2xweek. After several months of reading everything, watching every youtube, test riding a few major mfgrs offerings, it was down to the Specialized line-up. Either the Vado 5, Vado 5 SL or Creo. I wanted great gearing and upgraded components. I didn't care for the lower end components on many bikes. after a few hours on both the Vado and the SL, I decided for fitness riding the SL was the bike for me. The Vado would be great if I were commuting or doing errands, but it is too heavy for road riding for fitness.
I have now put 120 miles on the bike and I cannot believe I waited so long to get one. I ride mostly with with no assist on flats downs and slight uphills, going into eco/sport/turbo as I make my way up steep 1/2 -2 mile long PA hills. I like that I am forced to pedal and keep my legs spinning.
I didn't like the EQ version at first, but it was the only SL at the LBS bike in my size. Now I love it. I can go out on any wet road and stay out of slop (for many years I simply used my rear rack and a removeable plastic front fender when roads were wet, but they didn't really protect the bike that much. I am still quite new to E-bikes and still learning, but not new to Specialized (have a '16 Diverge DSW) or Trek (FX7700). I've sold all my other bikes from Chomo to Titanium over the past few years, trying to keep a small stable.
I am planning on purchasing the range extender next, and then possibly the Creo this summer.
Thanks for letting me join the group and tell a bit about myself.
Welcome! There's quite a few here in PA. Enjoy.

Welcome indeed. I am from central PA and ride a Como up and down our hills as well. There are a few threads related to using ebikes for health... recoveries from heart issues in particular. Search for 'health ' in titles only , and do stop by the Turbo Vado Como Club in the Specialized sub forum.

Greetings from a fellow rider in northeast PA! Welcome to the forum and by all means, keep us updated on your travels!

Back