Hello from NYC

MikeL NY

I decided to take the plunge and get an ebike to use as an alternative to public transport. I have a 11 mile commute that entails going over a bridge (manhattan) which according to redit has a 3.5% grade for about 1/2 mile. I looking through the forums, I decided that i am looking for the following:

1. A bike that will be used for the commute- will not be used for off roading/mountain biking
2. Step through or more upright sitting (i weigh 240 lbs and have a bad back).
3. looking to spend around $ 2.5k and prefer a bike that is available now and not til the end of the summer.

In my reading, many say hub motors are not good at hills. Would that mean that I should not look at hub motor bikes because of the uphill part of my commute? Unfortunately, at my price point, i think that rules out most mid drives it seems (plus i haven't found any place that is has any mid-drives available to test).

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

I purchased a Specialized Como 3.0 about a month ago. Very happy with its performance. Hills are suitably flattened and I usually don’t get out of the first level of assist.

3.5% is nothing for even the lightest bit of assist.

I'd focus on comfort and riding position if I were you. Virtually any mid drive or hub drive with a rack and fenders (to carry stuff and guard against splashes) will serve you quite well in the commute scenario you describe.

You might also pay attention to the various classes of ebikes:

Class 2 bikes seem to be very popular in NYC. These are bikes with a throttle, so they deliver power with no pedaling necessary and accelerate quickly. The reason they are popular in NYC is traffic density. Getting up to speed quickly out of an intersection is a great thing in dense traffic and makes the ride safer, even in NYC's fully separated bike lanes. The only drawback to a Class 2 is they are speed limited to 20mph in terms of their assist. Nearly all are hub-driven, I believe, but not a single one I have ever seen would miss a step on any part of NYC's relatively flat terrain, including the Manhattan Bridge.

Class 1 is similar to Class 2 in just about every way, except it has no throttle--pedal assist only up to 20mph.

Class 3 is the hill climber and "speed pedelec" class. Also, no throttle here, but higher top speed and more comfortable for long distances. These are typically mid-drive bikes with multi gear sets that allow for good city traffic mixing (once you apply pedal pressure to get the motor engaged) and good performance when the road opens up a bit...but you have to pedal. Some make you pedal harder than others. Some are huge on the power delivery and depending on the assist setting, the pedaling is really just a formality, especially in a flat environment like NYC.

For reference, I have some hills here in SF that are 20%+ in grade. My first ebike was a Vado 4.0, which provided 4X the output of my pedaling and a full range of gears to tackle SF's demanding terrain. I found the boost to actually be too much for my tastes, as I wanted to pedal a bit more. Even when I reduced the boost, the heaviness of the bike hampered my enjoyment of its fitness aspects in day-to-day riding. I loved the speed and accelleration in city traffic, though! It was smooth and powerful.

That bike was stolen a few months ago. I replaced it with a Vado SL. Many discredit the Vado SL as being underpowered (2X my input, versus 4X) but I've found it to be perfect for my use. I still have the speed and hill climbing ability (lesser boost is amplified by lighter weight and better design for urban use, IMO). I work a little harder on big hills, now, but that's what I wanted... and that's what it all boils down to.

In any case, the amount of stop-and-go traffic on your ride and your fitness level/willingness/desire to pedal should be your guide. Plenty of reviews here to help, too. Good luck!

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem you are facing is the fact that there is a shortage of bikes everywhere. However, www.propelbikes.com They are located in Brooklyn may be of great help to you. Give them a call immediately! I am not affiliated in any way.

I decided to take the plunge and get an ebike to use as an alternative to public transport. I have a 11 mile commute that entails going over a bridge (manhattan) which according to redit has a 3.5% grade for about 1/2 mile. I looking through the forums, I decided that i am looking for the following:

1. A bike that will be used for the commute- will not be used for off roading/mountain biking
2. Step through or more upright sitting (i weigh 240 lbs and have a bad back).
3. looking to spend around $ 2.5k and prefer a bike that is available now and not til the end of the summer.

In my reading, many say hub motors are not good at hills. Would that mean that I should not look at hub motor bikes because of the uphill part of my commute? Unfortunately, at my price point, i think that rules out most mid drives it seems (plus i haven't found any place that is has any mid-drives available to test).

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
I'm new here but wanted to say I recently purchased a Specialized Vado 4.0 when it was on sale + rebate in April making it about $2700 when all said and done. I rode it for about 3-4 weeks and loved it. Past tense due to it being stolen last week. My goal was to cut my 1.5 hr commute to 1hr and in the middle of the 3 assist levels (sport) it did the trick! It was a really fun ride with the exception the handle bars were not right for my small but tall frame. I'm now looking at reviews to see if the Specialized Como would be a better one for me, due to it's more upright handlebar positioning. I believe I read in the manual the Vado can handle up to 250 lb total wt. So, maybe the Como would be upright enough for you, but I would not recommend the Vado for you.

I'm new here but wanted to say I recently purchased a Specialized Vado 4.0 when it was on sale + rebate in April making it about $2700 when all said and done. I rode it for about 3-4 weeks and loved it. Past tense due to it being stolen last week. My goal was to cut my 1.5 hr commute to 1hr and in the middle of the 3 assist levels (sport) it did the trick! It was a really fun ride with the exception the handle bars were not right for my small but tall frame. I'm now looking at reviews to see if the Specialized Como would be a better one for me, due to it's more upright handlebar positioning. I believe I read in the manual the Vado can handle up to 250 lb total wt. So, maybe the Como would be upright enough for you, but I would not recommend the Vado for you.
I hate to hear stolen stories. Welcome to the stolen Vado club. I have a very secure garage in my building, in the best part of town, and still got mine nicked, when my upstairs neighbor left the garage door open all night

I hope insurance covered you like it did me.

I’m locking up much more substantially now...

DD5F99ED-004B-4477-98ED-3BDA7DA7F4A6.jpeg

Reactions: DIL
Thanks everyone for your advice. For my price point, I made the jump and got a Magnum Navigator. You guys are right - very limited availability especially at my price. I checked out Propel who basically did not have anything in my price. Of the bikes that were available for immediately were a Surface Rook, magnum metro and navigator and a BH (which is available for a great price in NJ). I did not try the surface (which was not assembled yet and i would need to wait a few more days) nor the BH due to concerns about finding shops to service the bike in NYC. I tried the magnums. The navigator has bigger tires and ride felt smoother than the metro so because of the my commute (11 miles) I chose the smoother ride. I rode it home and i didn't think that a throttle control would be helpful but it has been great to bike rolling especially if you have bad knees. Except for one hiccup (flat tire already), so far it has been great although I know it is really really early.

Back