Hello from Northern Virginia

To Dewey and Cristob - thanks for the detailed description of the trail. It sounds like it would be a blast to ride, and very pretty with the river alongside. I have seen the trail from the car several times when we visited Mt. Vernon and often thought I should just take a day to drive into DC to bike. I have done the big Bike Washington DC ride before (that's where my username photo was taken as we were waiting for our group to be released) and loved the roads and scenery.

I'm thinking of either Saturday or Sunday (Oct 19th or 20th) for hubby and myself to drive into DC and park at the Theodore Roosevelt Island parking lot, and while he relaxes at the river and reads, I could ride the trail to the north edge of Alexandria, and then turn around and ride back, enjoying the river views the entire way. About a 14.5 mile ride.

If you know - does either Saturday or Sunday have less "traffic" on the trail and a better opportunity for parking? I suspect either day will have a busy trail as people are going to want to be out to see the changing tree colors.

Last edited:
Back