Hello from Minnetonka!

eRicken

Region
USA
My wife and I just picked up a couple of Pace 500s (a step thru and a step over). I used to be an avid biker, using it for every trip I could. Gradually life got in the way and now that I'm in my 50s, the thought of even the minor hills nearby make me choose my car.

Anyway I've been hitting this site for a few weeks now, trying to decide which bike I wanted. Right now the more mainstream models that you'd see in "the 10 best ebikes" reviews have delivery dates a month out or more, but usually I could find info here on some of the more obscure brands.

It was a convoluted process deciding on the Pace, up until yesterday I thought I was going to get a fat ebike. What changed my mind was how fun and straightforward the Pace is. I tried the Level too, but the puffy frame for the battery and front suspension turned me off. Plus, I like the kick when the motor engages.

Looking forward to getting out there and having fun biking again. I have a 20 mile commute to downtown St Paul that I'm eyeing using it for too.

Will do, but for some reason the bike shop insists on doing a safety check before they let you take it home. So I probably won't get it until late Monday or Tuesday.

I'm still trying to figure out the logic on that one. Apparently the bikes somehow break down once they realize they are going to a new home. I'd think the shop would do the safety check when it is assembled and before they let a customer test ride it.

I get it. The assembly people are a different crew, often centrally located off site at a distribution hub between shops. The transported bikes will have the pedals off and the handlebars turned and often require some shift indexing and brake adjustments. Getting a second pair of eyes to safety check bolts is a good idea.

Welcome! I bought my bike on a Thursday afternoon and things were slow but they told me to come back and they’d get it ready for me. So I hit the grocery store for a bit and came back.

A big welcome to you eRicken and the Mrs. I have the Pace 500 and am happy with it. The new Pace 500 comes with throttle on demand and slightly tamed startups. From my experience, Aventon is a good company, they use good quality parts and they stand behind their products. I think you made a good choice, but as the creator of this site says, there is no such thing as a perfect bike. Good luck, ride safe and be responsible.

Welcome to another midwesterner! Was just up at the Scheels in Mankato last weekend picking up a new ride!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm kicking myself now. I got it into my head that the bike wouldn't be ready until Tuesday, so I decided to head north Saturday night to spend some time by a lake.

I got a text Sunday afternoon the bike was ready but now I won't get back home until tonight (Monday). I hope to get home before they close tonight.

Greetings!
retired Last year from the big health care company in Minnetonka! Traveled their a lot on business. wife and I just got pace 500 step over and a Pace 500 step thru a few months ago. Love them! I know you will enjoy them as well.

Regards,

KWR

Welcome.

I had never actually heard of Minnetonka before this thread.

your situation sounds similar to mine. I had ridden a lot and then kids and life meant a fair break. I started riding again to commute to work because life was busy and it was the most time efficient way to get exercise. I was in my mid 40s when I started up again and riding an ebike18 kms on relatively flat ground gave me leg cramps. But I kept at it and in six weeks I could do the commute on a regular bike.

now a decade later I have lost about 35 lbs, got my bmi down to 22 and have an FTP of about 220 watts and 3 watts/kg. I now rarely ride an ebike and do century rides multiple times a year.

Hopefully your experience will be similar or better.

Greetings!
retired Last year from the big health care company in Minnetonka! Traveled their a lot on business. wife and I just got pace 500 step over and a Pace 500 step thru a few months ago. Love them! I know you will enjoy them as well.

Regards,

KWR
We may have crossed paths, I worked there for 10 years up until 2 years ago. Glad to hear you still are enjoying the bikes. Ive had it out every night since I got it.. My wife is getting a little grumpy because hers had to be ordered.

Welcome.

I had never actually heard of Minnetonka before this thread.

your situation sounds similar to mine. I had ridden a lot and then kids and life meant a fair break. I started riding again to commute to work because life was busy and it was the most time efficient way to get exercise. I was in my mid 40s when I started up again and riding an ebike18 kms on relatively flat ground gave me leg cramps. But I kept at it and in six weeks I could do the commute on a regular bike.

now a decade later I have lost about 35 lbs, got my bmi down to 22 and have an FTP of about 220 watts and 3 watts/kg. I now rarely ride an ebike and do century rides multiple times a year.

Hopefully your experience will be similar or better.

A big welcome to you eRicken and the Mrs. I have the Pace 500 and am happy with it. The new Pace 500 comes with throttle on demand and slightly tamed startups. From my experience, Aventon is a good company, they use good quality parts and they stand behind their products. I think you made a good choice, but as the creator of this site says, there is no such thing as a perfect bike. Good luck, ride safe and be responsible.
I discovered we, or at least I got the old model. My wife is still waiting for hers to be shipped in, so we'll see which one she gets. I was thinking about returning it for the newer version, but it may be better to just replace the controller & display with an aftermarket one that can be programmed. I still like riding it the way it is, but the throttle and pas seem sort of random.

I remembered to get a photo when I was out tonight, so here it is. I was surprised at how much dust it picked up on the gravel trails yesterday.

20210617_205026.jpg

Hey neighbor! I'm out in Eagan, but I had a friend who lived in Hopkins & bike commuted to Minnetonka for a bit. Looks like you found a beautiful local bike path?

I'm looking at the Level and Pace as well, but having a heck of a time finding them for test rides! Why does everyone in this state have to be so outdoorsy!

Hey neighbor! I'm out in Eagan, but I had a friend who lived in Hopkins & bike commuted to Minnetonka for a bit. Looks like you found a beautiful local bike path?

I'm looking at the Level and Pace as well, but having a heck of a time finding them for test rides! Why does everyone in this state have to be so outdoorsy!
Heh, it seems like there's a run on ebikes everywhere right now. I was planning to buy one online, but all the models I could find reviews for were out of stock until the end of July or longer..

Check with Erik's, I would expect one of their stores would have something available. We lucked out, the St Louis Park store had just put the 2 on the floor the Friday we were there. Someone called while I was buying it the next day, glad I wasn't 10 minutes later. Also, they are selling both the older and newer versions of the Pace, you can tell by the price: $1399 vs. $1499. Something to keep in mind if you test ride the Pace and don't like how the motor engages vs the Level.

And hello from down the street, in Chanhassen! I’ve got a few years on you, so opted for the e-trike option, although it makes me actually feel like a senior citizen a bit. But I've been a biker most of my life, until a couple of health conditions (and the meds I need to take), started messing with my balance and I had a nasty fall that busted a couple of ribs. My new trike should be waiting for me when I get back from vacation the second week in August...an ElectricTrike Fat Trike. Back to the biking world!! Watch out for our infamous road construction during your journeys!

Hi @Dutchess. It is nice and flat for riding your new eTrike in Chanhassen. I will be converting a new aluminum seven-speed Meridian trike with a mid-drive next week. The owner likes bikes and has lost some balance confidence. She will soon be able to ride with her husband again and with her grandchildren. Trikes are nice. I recommend that when you first ride it do nothing but slow figure eights of various sizes for the first half-hour to get the feel for how your bike handles. I would not advise this if it were not vital. Once you get the feel, you will LOVE it. Happy Riding!

Thanks for the tip, @PedalUma! I used to drive a transit bus, and also a camper (although not at the same time 😂), so I know the importance of practicing in empty parking lots until you are comfortable. I've been researching the past couple of days, trying to read up on everything I can about how trikes handle, but I think an afternoon of slow figure-eights will teach me much more at this point. I know what a difference the trike will make in the life of the woman you are converting it for, and what a difference it will make in mine. I love horses, and own a couple of mini-horses, but my days of riding are over now, too. Riding a bike is the closest sensation I can get to being on the back of a horse. Only horse people know the real sense of peace we get there. Not only is Chan nice and flat, but the entire city is honeycombed with trails, that even run under Highway 5 so I won't have to cross traffic! And the trike community has been so warm and friendly...this is already proving to be a very wise choice on my part! Many thank yous! 😁

We have many miniature horses in the Petaluma, California area. Riding a bike is hugely therapeutic. I grew up riding horses and understand the affinity. Some people are using mini-horses to pull a mini-surrey. They are so cute. The size of a dog. We have big hills here on the coast and require bikes and trikes of a different type that can manage them. Yours is great for you. Figure skating started with judging who could best cut a perfect figure-8 on the ice. All the best. Keep us updated with a photo.
1627443348352.png

Attachments

• 07012106.jpg
    07012106.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 219
Hey there from a fellow Minnesotan - down the highway in Rochester. I received a Aventon Level yesterday and put 6 miles on it during a quick test ride after assembly. (added suspension post, tail light, stem riser, light) Minnesota is a very bike-friendly state and I agree, there are supply shortages which affects purchasing decisions. (ordered direct on-line) I was close to buying a fat tire bike bike then honestly thought about how much off-roading I'd be doing.
- Cheers
20210804_123850.jpg

Back