Hello from Harvard, MA

mfkilian

Region
USA
Hi,

My family has three electric bikes: A Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH, an AZUB T-Tris Recumbent Trike with Shimano electric, and an Evelo Omega. All three have Enviolo automatic hubs which in general have performed well. I have eliminated a few car trips with my Specialized and I love how smooth it is.

They have not been flawless. But on the whole, I'm very pleased with these bikes and now with a few years on them have been pleased with their durability.

-- Mike Kilian

Welcome to the site.
It sounds as if you had some source of information about e-bikes before your purchases. I had to find this site before I discovered something better than 12 v motors with a sprocket that pushed down on the chain. That is what google found me for "bicycle motor".

Hello Mike, I'm riding my back up bike to work today, it has a manual Enviolo Cargo cvt. I like I can twist and shift gear when stopped at a light, though I need to pause pedalling when I twist to change gear on the go. What has been your experience commuting/riding with the Enviolo Automatiq? I understand it shifts down when you come to a stop, when you start riding again does it then shift up to your desired cadence?.

Welcome to the site.
It sounds as if you had some source of information about e-bikes before your purchases. I had to find this site before I discovered something better than 12 v motors with a sprocket that pushed down on the chain. That is what google found me for "bicycle motor".
Hello Mike, I'm riding my back up bike to work today, it has a manual Enviolo Cargo cvt. I like I can twist and shift gear when stopped at a light, though I need to pause pedalling when I twist to change gear on the go. What has been your experience commuting/riding with the Enviolo Automatiq? I understand it shifts down when you come to a stop, when you start riding again does it then shift up to your desired cadence?.
In general, the Automatiq shifts down when you stop and pretty quickly shifts up as you start pedaling (this is configurable from the app). It is pretty seamless and in general I find I don't have to think about it. I've found when I'm pedaling I can get the bike (and I think it is a combination of motor and automatiq) to "go faster" by pushing the pedals a little harder jumping the torque up. But in general, it matches the gearing and motor assist to keep my cadence pretty steady (I use 70-80 as my cadence). I will admit that recently I've had some problems with the hub temporarily not upshifting. This is rare, eventually resolves itself, but I'm looking for hints on how to fix this. I'll be checking my Enviolo firmware to see if I'm up-to-date.

If I did it again, I might go with an internal manual hub (there are 8 speed internal hubs!) just because I sometimes worry about problems that are more software than simple gearing. That being said, I do find my Vado to be a real joy to ride.

Re: pedal harder=go faster, maybe this is due to the PAS torque sensor?

The intermittent upshift issue doesn't sound like its the AutomatiQ interface because you say it's rare and resolves itself, please post back here if Enviolo can diagnose & fix.

I've read good things on here about the Shimano Nexus Inter-5e IGH, it appears to be more robust and better suited to the torque of a mid-drive than the older Alfine & Nexus-8 hubs.

Back